Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Just finished the Narrow Road to the Deep North. I thought was a slow burner to begin with but then became electrifyingly intense and whilst that was impossible to maintain post POW camp, I loved the aftermath and found it moving. It's a brilliant written and memorable book which I'd throughly recommend.

I'll second this. Takes a bit to get going then becomes a beast of rare beauty before fading a little at the end. Definitely recommended.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Midway through Judgment on Deltchev by Eric Ambler. It tells the story of a Communist show trial in an un-named Stalinist era country.

Ambler is, along with Furst, the pre-eminent espionage writer and what seemed to be a straightforward story is going into some dark places. It's excellent - I must dig out a few more by him

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Not sure if this is the right thread but my wife passed over to me 'Elizabeth and her German Garden' by Elizabeth von Arwhatever. It is, by a country mile the most boring book I have ever read.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A Lovers Guide to a Football Shirts

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not sure if this is the right thread but my wife passed over to me 'Elizabeth and her German Garden' by Elizabeth von Arwhatever. It is, by a country mile the most boring book I have ever read.

You're not interested in ladies' gardens I take it

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
image.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just finished Eat Sweat Play, Anna Kessel's thought-provoking book about women and sport.

There are times when I thought that the polemic was a bit over-done but overall it's an excellent read with some sobering insights of how far we have to go before women get a fair crack of the whip when it comes to sport. The fact that just 0.4% of all sports sponsorship goes to women's sport is just one example of the barriers that need to be overcome.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Quite magnificent & epic historical novel. Recommended.

image.jpg

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
A Rose for Winter - Laurie Lee. Beautifully written. So glad I decided to read his four autobiographical works again.
Perennial favourites.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You should read The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton if you haven't already. Extremely well written and paints Lance as an absolute monster.

Yeah problem is there's so much overlap you're reading the same stuff about him a lot of the time. That said, I'm reading David Walsh's The Seven Deadly Sins at the moment, good read.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here