Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are YOUR top ten INDIE ANTHEMS?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Tesco in Disguise said:
tongue-in-cheek, les.

I wasn't sure to be honest so I imagine a few others weren't. My mate who is also very deadpan has the same problem. People often don't get he is being humourous.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Les Biehn said:
With regards to your age I wouold have said mid 20's. But I may be wrong. Just your music selection and you once commented when I mentioned Robinskis.

ah, yes. i'd forgotten you were a fellow sufferer!

well deduced. (though i'd like to try and get away with 'early')

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Radiohead - Creep
The Smiths - How Soon is Now
The Farm - Stepping Stone
Sugarcubes - Birthday
Stone Roses - i am The Resurrection
Happy Mondays - WFL
Blur - Shes So High
Charlatans - One To Another
Primal Scream - Loaded
The Pixies - Where Is My Mind

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Tesco in Disguise said:
ah, yes. i'd forgotten you were a fellow sufferer!

well deduced. (though i'd like to try and get away with 'early')

I can't imagine a man such as yourself enjoying Robinskis (although that may be very presumptuous on my part). I don't mind it, generally full of students so no stupidness of a nasty kind. There are better places but for a lazy piss up when in Fallowfield its an easy place to go to.

So I take it you are younger than 25.

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Les Biehn said:
I can't imagine a man such as yourself enjoying Robinskis (although that may be very presumptuous on my part).

presume away. no, i don't like that place at all. few fights, but not really my scene. much prefer somewhere like late room or star and garter, but this does of course require going into town.

are you going to cheltenham on saturday?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Les Biehn said:
Don't take this the wrong way TiD I just think you kind of didn't gauge the thread. It was a fairly easy going thread about indie music and then you posted what was quite a pretentious post and basically slagged off the music that people posting like.

Thanks for answering for me Les. I was enjoying my lunch in the sunshine watching the ladies stroll by.

You've basically written what I would have put anyway except the 'quite' pretentious bit. If Tesco was half as clever as he likes to think he is, he'd be dangerous.

Oh, and Tesco - thanks for defining 'anthems' for me. My definition doesn't include lighters [though some anthems would fit that]. More big songs that the whole audience [or people in a club, etc] would sing along to.

Read my personal list again and remind me which of these are not 'anthems';

Come Home - James
Boys Don't Cry - The Cure
This Charming Man - The Smiths
The Only One I Know - Charlatans
This is How it Feels - Inspiral carpets
Step On - Happy Mondays
Groovy Train - The Farm
I am the Ressurection - Stone Roses
In Between Days - The Cure
William it was really nothing - The Smiths

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Tesco in Disguise said:
presume away. no, i don't like that place at all. few fights, but not really my scene. much prefer somewhere like late room or star and garter, but this does of course require going into town.

are you going to cheltenham on saturday?

No, being a bad fan this year. Been skint paying off debts but they are all but cleared (still got my frigging student overdraft to go!).

Did you live in Fallowfield?

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
hans kraay fan club said:
You've basically written what I would have put anyway except the 'quite' pretentious bit. If Tesco was half as clever as he likes to think he is, he'd be dangerous.

firstly, i can't be held responsible if you can't recognise irony. though i will try and speak more c-l-e-a-r-l-y next time.

second, i think you may be exceeding the level of sensible presumption. not only do you claim to know how 'clever i am', but also 'how clever i like to think i am'. a dangerous move.

Oh, and Tesco - thanks for defining 'anthems' for me. My definition doesn't include lighters [though some anthems would fit that]. More big songs that the whole audience [or people in a club, etc] would sing along to.

Read my personal list again and remind me which of these are not 'anthems';

Come Home - James
Step On - Happy Mondays
Groovy Train - The Farm

look, artistic evaluation is always going to be contentious, so there's almost no point in creating these lists. after all, how do you evaluate subjective material, especially when using vague terms like 'anthem'?

your list is fine, though i would say that the cure, inspiral carpets and possibly the farm were not popular enough to create truly 'anthemic' work. but that's just me.

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Les Biehn said:
No, being a bad fan this year. Been skint paying off debts but they are all but cleared (still got my frigging student overdraft to go!).

Did you live in Fallowfield?

4 golden years. only recently moved out.

haven't started paying off my student loan yet though. not sure how they go about doing that. not complaing mind. i hadn't realised until after getting my tickets just how far cheltenham is. you're best off staying in that leafy paradise - i reckon about 10 hours door-to-door round trip.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tesco in Disguise said:
firstly, i can't be held responsible if you can't recognise irony. though i will try and speak more c-l-e-a-r-l-y next time.

second, i think you may be exceeding the level of sensible presumption. not only do you claim to know how 'clever i am', but also 'how clever i like to think i am'. a dangerous move.

look, artistic evaluation is always going to be contentious, so there's almost no point in creating these lists. after all, how do you evaluate subjective material, especially when using vague terms like 'anthem'?

your list is fine, though i would say that the cure, inspiral carpets and possibly the farm were not popular enough to create truly 'anthemic' work. but that's just me.

I'm pretty good at spotting irony. I've even been known to be ironic myself on occassions. I'm also pretty good at spotting sanctimony and pretension.

'Artistic evaluation is always going to be contentious'; that I can agree with, and explains why everybody's list is different. Nobody but yourself, though, felt the need to mock others, with an oh-so-clever 'ironic' post.

Oh, and I don't know how you define 'popular', but the Cure are amongst the highest selling artists in that list.

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Nobody but yourself, though, felt the need to mock others, with an oh-so-clever 'ironic' post.

surely whether a statement is ironic or not is objective. if i say it's ironic, it has to be. i made it. whether it is clearly ironic, or whether it is funny, is your call.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Tesco in Disguise said:
4 golden years. only recently moved out.

haven't started paying off my student loan yet though. not sure how they go about doing that. not complaing mind. i hadn't realised until after getting my tickets just how far cheltenham is. you're best off staying in that leafy paradise - i reckon about 10 hours door-to-door round trip.

You don't talk like a bloke in his 20's.

They just take it out like National Insurance and Tax when you hit a certain wage band. At 27 and having a masters degree I have still not hit the magic figure. I think that may be a bad thing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tesco in Disguise said:
surely whether a statement is ironic or not is objective. if i say it's ironic, it has to be. i made it. whether it is clearly ironic, or whether it is funny, is your call.

Yes, your statement was ironic. Well done.

It was also sneering and condescending, and its very aim was to say "look at me with my oh-so-clever ironic statement. I think you are all dredging up all these old band names to look clever and 'edgy', but I'm above all that because I'm great".

Good for you.

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Les Biehn said:
You don't talk like a bloke in his 20's.

i know. the weight of the world has hit me hard.

Les Biehn said:
They just take it out like National Insurance and Tax when you hit a certain wage band. At 27 and having a masters degree I have still not hit the magic figure. I think that may be a bad thing.

i must still be too poor.

this website is the enemy of industry. i've done virtually no work today. i'm gonna have to do a mini-flounce and try and do something productive or they're gonna fire my ass. have a good weekend.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Tesco in Disguise said:
i know. the weight of the world has hit me hard.

i must still be too poor.

this website is the enemy of industry. i've done virtually no work today. i'm gonna have to do a mini-flounce and try and do something productive or they're gonna fire my ass. have a good weekend.

:wave:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Come Home - James
Step On - Happy Mondays
Groovy Train - The Farm

Shiver me timbers that's just like a nightmare list of overplayed tediocre gash! Are you sure you didn't just buy 'The Idiots Guide to Madchester and Late 80s/Early 90s Chart Music' and concoct your list from that!?!?!!?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Cheeky Monkey said:
Shiver me timbers that's just like a nightmare list of overplayed tediocre gash! Are you sure you didn't just buy 'The Idiots Guide to Madchester and Late 80s/Early 90s Chart Music' and concoct your list from that!?!?!!?

:)

Cheers for that.

The idea behind this list has caused some confusion. Its this definition of 'anthems' I think. These are the ten songs that I most identify with as 'Indie Anthems', whatever that means. They are these ten rather than some other ten, because the exact era you point out, are the years I was a student in Liverpool, frequenting Indie nights, etc in clubs.

They're not my 'ten favourite songs'.

Well, actually, the two Cure ones are.:lolol:

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
It was also sneering and condescending, and its very aim was to say "look at me with my oh-so-clever ironic statement. I think you are all dredging up all these old band names to look clever and 'edgy', but I'm above all that because I'm great".

you couldn't be more wrong. i really don't know how you got to that conclusion.

what i was trying to say was "musical editors, when compiling these lists, often use a combination of old classics, safe choices and a few obsure ones so they can show the music magazine-reading public what great journalists they are, what fantastic taste and knowledge they have and how great their publications are. if anything, i was praising the posters on this thread that they had read this spot on. though, as the theme of the thread was supposedly 'anthems', i offered what i considered to be a more populist list, in line with what i understand 'anthemic' to mean."

i promise you: no sneer or condescendent meant. this, i suppose, is the trouble with all communiaction that lacks intonation or emphasis.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
[Bthe exact era you point out, are the years I was a student in Liverpool, frequenting Indie nights, etc in clubs.

[/B]

Shoot same student years as me, although I was in Cardiff. You didn't know a student gooner called Pun Pandya per chance? He was at what used to be John Moores from 87-90.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tesco in Disguise said:

i promise you: no sneer or condescendent meant. this, i suppose, is the trouble with all communiaction that lacks intonation or emphasis.

Fair enough. Keep that in mind. Have a nice weekend.
:wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here