[Albion] What Amex Improvements Would YOU Like To See Over The Summer?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
IMG_4189.jpeg

Hope it’s not left looking like that!

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
There has to be a better way for selling beer. Someone posted the 6 pint deal at Dortmund with all 6 pints in a carry-carton. Can you imagine how long it would take to pour this at the AMEX?
Invest in similar beer dispensers as at The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. No idea what the one off cost would be but surely PB can find out from his mate Dan Levy. Maybe being able to sell beers faster would increase profits and pay for the cost of the dispensers over X? number of seasons. It would certainly improve the match day fan experience more than "improved "signage around "The Amex" due to the stadium's name change.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Invest in similar beer dispensers as at The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. No idea what the one off cost would be but surely PB can find out from his mate Dan Levy. Maybe being able to sell beers faster would increase profits and pay for the cost of the dispensers over X? number of seasons. It would certainly improve the match day fan experience more than "improved "signage around "The Amex" due to the stadium's name change.
Haven't there been various beer dispensers in the North and elsewhere either trialled or introduced last season ?
And aren't there plans in the next 12 months to increase the outlets that sell beer outside the stadium, with a roof and toilets.
AND there's plans for "improved" signage. Where did it all go wrong ? ha ha.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
If its anything like my experience at Spurs this year they can keep the bloody things. The girl serving spent, what seemed like forever, jamming a glass on to the dispenser with just a bit of foam to show for all her efforts. When she removed the glass for about the 10th time, the dispenser decided to squirt a jet of lager out which just missed my right lughole and hit the people behind. 21st century problems I suppose.
LEVY OUT.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
If its anything like my experience at Spurs this year they can keep the bloody things. The girl serving spent, what seemed like forever, jamming a glass on to the dispenser with just a bit of foam to show for all her efforts. When she removed the glass for about the 10th time, the dispenser decided to squirt a jet of lager out which just missed my right lughole and hit the people behind. 21st century problems I suppose.
LEVY OUT.
I thought that spurs had jacked in those fancy reverse pint pourers? On my last visit I saw two incidences where the plug on the bottom of the plastic pint pot fell out and pint went on floor

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I thought that spurs had jacked in those fancy reverse pint pourers? On my last visit I saw two incidences where the plug on the bottom of the plastic pint pot fell out and pint went on floor
I saw one incident like that, as would seem curiosity got the better of the gentleman involved, who decided to poke his finger through it.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
But the expectation of achieving a piss, a beer and a further piss in 15 minutes when surrounded by thousands of others is fanciful at best.

You just can't expect any club to satisfy your needs in that time frame unless you are in corporate areas.

That is and will always be the reality of the situation. The solution is to either restrict your drinking to either end of the game or leave your seat early and return late at half time. The choice is yours.

Many, like me, prefer to watch the game and can hold back on the "need" for a beer in the interval.

The restrictions of not being able to consume your beer at your seat is the issue and one the club can do nothing about. I've been involved in designing beer dispense at Brentford and Man City recently as well as at a number of other sporting venues. It is a complex issue not simply the speed of the part time server at the till. One solution which we adopted at Commonwealth games was to have mobile bottled beer sellers though this caused issues with cashless purchases as there was constant connectivity issues for the card readers.

Your original assertion that the club are missing out on revenue is flawed as the extra personnel required for such a short period is a logistical and costly headache. We monitor the sales of the busy periods at the stadiums I mention above and in all honesty even with extra provision the added profit is minimal. When we compared the Brentford stadiums use with rugby (London Irish) against the football we found proportionately given the attendance variation more beer was sold at the football events over the rugby, which is surprising given there's no restriction on drinking within the seating areas. The flow rates of the beer were consistent against the peak times at football events. When designing dispense systems you have to build in huge capacity for the peak times. Conversely this results in loads of partially used kegs and barrels dotted around the stadium. Once broached kegs will only last 7 days and barrels 3. Obviously barrels can't moved either.

That's a little bit sanctimonious, being sniffy about other people's drinking preferences. For many people, the match is an opportunity to meet up with their mates and have a bit of downtime from family and work commitments. (Yes I appreciate that Brighton is more family-oriented then most football clubs but this is still true.)

The fundamental issue here is the law that restricts beer consumption during the game, and 'within sight of the pitch'. Frankly, it's an absurd and oppressive law that needs repealing or rethinking. For many years I lived in Germany and was a regular Bundesliga attendee. Throughout the entire game, people around you are popping out to buy 4, 6, even 8 half litres of beer to fetch back for their friends in the same row/area. The plastic containers with their long handles make it quite easy to carry at least 4 in each hand. Result is that there's no huge halftime queue for beer, and the concourses are much less crowded and therefore safer. The club makes far more money and the punters are happier. Each member of a beery collective is likely to have to visit the bar only once during play (but OK, perhaps more to visit the loo!) For those who can't bear to be away from play, you also get mobile beer sellers moving around the stands with a beer tank on their back, dispensing beer to people in seats for a small premium.

I'd love to see this trialled in the UK with the strict proviso that any abuse of the concession e.g. plastic glasses being chucked on the pitch, would lead to an immediate suspension of in-game beer sales and the banning of culprits identified.

It's quite wrong to blithely state that "That is and will always be the reality of the situation." Why should it always be the reality? It never was prior to Thatcher's cynical law change, and it isn't and never has been in nearly all footballing nations across the globe. Bad laws can be changed. It's inhumane, infantilising, and downright unsafe to force people to buy and glug beer during a 15-20 minute period in the middle of the match. The law has been in force for what, 25-30 years or so now (?) and it's time it was at least reviewed and possible repealed.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Haven't there been various beer dispensers in the North and elsewhere either trialled or introduced last season ?
And aren't there plans in the next 12 months to increase the outlets that sell beer outside the stadium, with a roof and toilets.
AND there's plans for "improved" signage. Where did it all go wrong ? ha ha.
Love the Moretti machines in WSL. Quick and easy.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
The through roads to the east of the bus park and south of Bennett’s field is a massive bit of land. Sure it could better used given parking is limited that side of the stadium.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Might be an unpopular idea but I'd like to see Park and Ride buses limited to those actually parking at the P and R sites. A lot of people wander up to the Racecourse site on foot and join the queue for a free bus. Not a huge problem pre-match with staggered arrival times but a major issue post-match when the same people expect to be ferried back to the Racecourse area free of charge while those who have parked there and haven;t left before the final whistle, have to wait -- often for 45 minutes or more.

The P and R service is a great idea so why should it be free? Why not charge a few quid per car (as most other P and R services across Europe seem to)? Give a token to all car drivers arriving at the P and R site, or a ticket for every car passenger, and have those travelling back after the game show the tickets to get on the bus back? The revenue raised could easily make the service self-financing and could even improve it.

If the club charged for the service, they could establish other P and R sites further out from the Amex to reduce post-match congestion.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's a little bit sanctimonious, being sniffy about other people's drinking preferences. For many people, the match is an opportunity to meet up with their mates and have a bit of downtime from family and work commitments. (Yes I appreciate that Brighton is more family-oriented then most football clubs but this is still true.)

The fundamental issue here is the law that restricts beer consumption during the game, and 'within sight of the pitch'. Frankly, it's an absurd and oppressive law that needs repealing or rethinking. For many years I lived in Germany and was a regular Bundesliga attendee. Throughout the entire game, people around you are popping out to buy 4, 6, even 8 half litres of beer to fetch back for their friends in the same row/area. The plastic containers with their long handles make it quite easy to carry at least 4 in each hand. Result is that there's no huge halftime queue for beer, and the concourses are much less crowded and therefore safer. The club makes far more money and the punters are happier. Each member of a beery collective is likely to have to visit the bar only once during play (but OK, perhaps more to visit the loo!) For those who can't bear to be away from play, you also get mobile beer sellers moving around the stands with a beer tank on their back, dispensing beer to people in seats for a small premium.

I'd love to see this trialled in the UK with the strict proviso that any abuse of the concession e.g. plastic glasses being chucked on the pitch, would lead to an immediate suspension of in-game beer sales and the banning of culprits identified.

It's quite wrong to blithely state that "That is and will always be the reality of the situation." Why should it always be the reality? It never was prior to Thatcher's cynical law change, and it isn't and never has been in nearly all footballing nations across the globe. Bad laws can be changed. It's inhumane, infantilising, and downright unsafe to force people to buy and glug beer during a 15-20 minute period in the middle of the match. The law has been in force for what, 25-30 years or so now (?) and it's time it was at least reviewed and possible repealed.

The trouble is, never under estimate moronity in these isles. It’s not one or two bad apples. A home team scores a winner, these selfish idiots en masse would soak everyone in sticky beer …. “Coz it’s a craic”.

Genetically, somehow we lost the sensible bit of being part Anglo Saxons along the way.

The only way that could work would be sections trialled for a period, with firm rules. Break them and bans, it carries on, the concession ends.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Might be an unpopular idea but I'd like to see Park and Ride buses limited to those actually parking at the P and R sites. A lot of people wander up to the Racecourse site on foot and join the queue for a free bus. Not a huge problem pre-match with staggered arrival times but a major issue post-match when the same people expect to be ferried back to the Racecourse area free of charge while those who have parked there and haven;t left before the final whistle, have to wait -- often for 45 minutes or more.

The P and R service is a great idea so why should it be free? Why not charge a few quid per car (as most other P and R services across Europe seem to)? Give a token to all car drivers arriving at the P and R site, or a ticket for every car passenger, and have those travelling back after the game show the tickets to get on the bus back? The revenue raised could easily make the service self-financing and could even improve it.

If the club charged for the service, they could establish other P and R sites further out from the Amex to reduce post-match congestion.

Is it free, or part of an already inflated ticket cost?

How would the many thousand non car drivers using Mill Road p&r get home?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports