Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What about this VAR suggestion from Souness?

Do you agree with Souness on offside VARs?

• Good idea

Votes: 68 64.8%
  • Keep it as it is

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Ditch VAR for offside checks

Votes: 32 30.5%

• Total voters

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Personally I would want a 'linesmans call' system in place.

The lino flags if they believe it was offside/doesn't if they believe it was on.
VAR then has to prove beyond reasonable doubt if it is wrong.
If it is a close call (ie you are needing to draw lines to actually know), you stick with the lino call as technology is unable to definitively prove otherwise.

Basically umpires call.

Last edited:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Why can`t Offside rule be done away with ?? More goals , Less controversy, Better game !!

Less controversy yes, but better game? I quite like the technical side of beating the offside trap, which is a legitimate tactic for creating chances. I would rather this than have what we used to call goal hangers when we were school kids.
More goals? Maybe, but I don’t believe that the quality of play and goals Will be enhanced.
I would prefer no VAR for offside and leave it to the officials who, like the players, get paid to do their best, mistakes and all. If any officials are then subsequently found out to be totally incompetent, then they get dropped, like players do.
It did us OK for many years.
I would prefer VAR used for penalty decisions, off the ball incidents and gross errors by referees where they have missed something they shouldn’t have. But, hey, if the humans behind VAR can’t see Pickford trying to cripple Van Dijk, then we haven’t a hope in hell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here