Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What a strange, strange season.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I'm sorry but I just can't even begin to agree with that.

The fixture fairy has handed us a play-off place.
If this team are not able to take it by Friday night, then they should be ashamed of themselves, and never show their faces again.

All this 'any team can beat anyone' bollox is just that.
Blackpool and Yeovil have had a damn sight easier fixtures than Brighton away to secure their fate, and haven't taken any of them.
Why should now be any different?

Because it's us.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I honestly can't see us getting promoted, as lovely as that might be... I think! But I imagine there's a few bob to be made during the playoffs depending on how successful we are isn't there?

This is very similar to when we beat Bristol City in the final. They were much the better side in the two league games. Let's hope we can repeat it again, I'm not overly confident, which is probably the best way to avoid disappointment :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because it's us.
The club can't expect to be Premier League ready in it's spanking stadium, if it's going to remain the home of Mr Cock-up.

Should egg and face be in perfect alignment again over these last 3 league games, then none of the team deserve to be playing next season.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Seriously, everyone associated with the club should be absolutely gutted if we fail to get into the playoffs from the situation we find ourselves in right now. Of course it's a tough league and on their day any club is capable of beating any other, the same as in the Premier League as we saw tonight. That said however, the league table rarely lies. Yeovil and Blackpool are in the bottom 3 because, for differing reasons they deserve to be there. Yeovil, because, with no disrespect, they are the smallest club with the smallest budget in the league. Even with all our injuries, we have a much stronger side, player to player than them. Blackpool, for a number of reasons have absolutely imploded this year, a mess on and off the pitch, sliding inexorably to League 1. Are they suddenly going to wake up on Monday morning and, realising their predicament, suddenly find their form of August/September ? Possibly, but highly unlikely, especially with their best player now at Palarse. Right now we are staring at an open goal, if we choke against these two the players will have really let themselves and us down. For those arguing these two are fighting for their lives, Charlton were in danger of the drop last weekend, and we brushed them aside. We should do the same on Monday/Friday, and I hope and believe we will.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Picture the scene...Final at Wembley, 2-2 in the last minute of stoppage time when a pinpoint through ball leaves CMS clear on goal with only the keeper to beat.

The keeper goes low and all Mackail-Smith has to do is lift it over him and we'll win the game and trophy....nah, couldn't happen.

Could it?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
No reason why we shouldn't go at least one better than last year, when we sailed into the play offs on the crest of a wave but as most pundits favourites we then blew it in the last 20 minutes. I think we had a marginally stronger team last season too.

So I quite like that we are a bit below the radar at the moment. QPR and Derby might just choke before us, they've been in pole position most of the season and are carrying the huge weight of expectation from their fans and the media, not helped by having big name managers whose reputations are on the line. Whereas we are quietly creeping on them and Oscar is quite a cool customer.

Wigan are the only rival team who really concern me, they are beatable - but do know Wembley quite well.

6 points in the next two games is very do-able and a point at Forest should then suffice. We also need to keep everyone fit and well and not make any silly defensive mistakes. The good thing is that after this weekends results it is largely in our own hands.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
My bravado hasn't blinded me from the possibility of us not getting any more points and finishing mid-table.

The point is failure to beat Blackpool and Yeovil, at home, would have to go down as one of the clubs greatest failures.

Let's be honest, I don't think that's worse than what happened last year...

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I'm sorry but I just can't even begin to agree with that.

The fixture fairy has handed us a play-off place.
If this team are not able to take it by Friday night, then they should be ashamed of themselves, and never show their faces again.

All this 'any team can beat anyone' bollox is just that.
Blackpool and Yeovil have had a damn sight easier fixtures than Brighton away to secure their fate, and haven't taken any of them.
Why should now be any different?

Can't agree with that. Everyone plays everyone else twice over the season. If a team has a bad run in, they should have got their points earlier.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Seriously, everyone associated with the club should be absolutely gutted if we fail to get into the playoffs from the situation we find ourselves in right now. Of course it's a tough league and on their day any club is capable of beating any other, the same as in the Premier League as we saw tonight. That said however, the league table rarely lies. Yeovil and Blackpool are in the bottom 3 because, for differing reasons they deserve to be there. Yeovil, because, with no disrespect, they are the smallest club with the smallest budget in the league. Even with all our injuries, we have a much stronger side, player to player than them. Blackpool, for a number of reasons have absolutely imploded this year, a mess on and off the pitch, sliding inexorably to League 1. Are they suddenly going to wake up on Monday morning and, realising their predicament, suddenly find their form of August/September ? Possibly, but highly unlikely, especially with their best player now at Palarse. Right now we are staring at an open goal, if we choke against these two the players will have really let themselves and us down. For those arguing these two are fighting for their lives, Charlton were in danger of the drop last weekend, and we brushed them aside. We should do the same on Monday/Friday, and I hope and believe we will.

Great post.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Last season the manager failed to turn-up at the business end, this season will the players? All season we've had bad luck with injuries and games we should have won but somehow managed to throw away points. OG now has the players back and the tactics seem to be coming together, now we have 2 home games which should see us in the playoffs, it really is time for the players to show they really want it. DON'T TALK ABOUT IT, DO IT.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Can't agree with that. Everyone plays everyone else twice over the season. If a team has a bad run in, they should have got their points earlier.

There is no getting away from this. The only slight bit of fortune that we may have had has been the timing of our away game at Leicester.

As for strange seasons, 1991 was quite a bizarre one the way that we somehow got into the play offs with a negative GD.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let's be honest, I don't think that's worse than what happened last year...
That was an emotional kick in the goolies.
Failure to make the play offs from this position will be a playing failure.

Deffo, which is why the fixture fairy has handed us the play offs.
Every other team would swap with us.
Standing between us and the play offs are 2 teams that are not good enough for this division.

If we don't have 71 points and a mathmatical play off place then im joining the ranks of the doom merchants.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
I'd actually be worried we'd get turned over in the play offs by any of the other teams currently in there.

That was my first thought, but if we go into the playoffs on the back of 3 more wins (or 2 and a draw), we will most likely be the form team. It's usually the one who sneaks in at the end with an unbeaten run who gets it with their momentum they've built up.

It doesn't really feel like a great season, but it could well end up that way.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Us v QPR at Wembley. Lingard to score the winner in the 81st.

Just a thought.

Nice though the thought is, I bet that big bogey in life called fate would have a certain Mr Zamora score the winner in the first minute of stoppage time !

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We've barely got going, had terrible injuries and played some pretty dull football at The Amex...

...and yet here we are on the brink of the Play Offs. I can't remember a stranger season.

Oddly its fairly normal for the Championship and similar to last year and the year before. Leicester made the play offs on 68 points last year after the teams around them threw it away. Palace almost didn't make it after going on a really poor run of form from December onwards.
We finished with 75 points but thats because won our last 3 matches. In 2013/14 we could finish with 74 points if we win our last 3 matches. The big difference this year has been injuries to a certain extent and our away form has been better than our home form. But *that* different. Lets see in 10 days time. Might not be very different at all...

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'm slightly worried about player unity. TK seems to have decided to disengage. Leo is more obstreperous than ever. KLL is never happy. I just get the feeling that last year Gus blew it for us, this year I could be the team.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I'm slightly worried about player unity. TK seems to have decided to disengage. Leo is more obstreperous than ever. KLL is never happy. I just get the feeling that last year Gus blew it for us, this year I could be the team.

Funny, I have 0% worries about that. The team is unified, as far as I can see it, with only a couple of NSC mystics making up stories about differences to be noticed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here