Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What a brilliant game of football

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
When Silva dived/fell to try an earn a penalty for City it really angered me, not because he was trying to fool anyone (he had had his shirt pulled) but it seemed so out of place with how the game was played last night. No time wasting, no rolling about after tackles just getting up and getting on with it, barely any “professional” fouls, just pure football. The incident stood out like a sore thumb to me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Spare a thought for fat Sam. Last night showed everything that's wrong with modern football. Had he been managing either side they'd have won by a distance by repeatedly sticking the ball in the net, not fannying about with it like a bunch of fairies.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
I've never seen another game which I could compare it to. It was less about goals and points and more two parties trying to demonstrate ideological purity, to demark the territory of pre-eminence in modern football.

There was barely any gamesmanship, though a few meaty challenges. To waste time in a match like that would mark you out as a cad.

More than anything it was the age old tale of an apprentice attempting to dethrone the master. Kind of like the, will the young lion be able to wrest control of the pride from the dominant male, story that you see on nature programs.
I gave you a "like" for that post, and I am now giving a second "like" for including "cad" .
Had you also managed to squeeze " bounder' in , my appreciation would have been endless.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd love to know how long the ball was in play for and contrast that with Villa and their time wasting earlier this season. I'd wager it was in the top 5 of the season if not the highest.
It's things like that which have me thinking it wasn't a 'real' game.

At one point Jnr said 'there's been a lot of missed placed passes'.
I replied 'i don't think so, what we're watching is a game with far too many passes, some of which are misplaced'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
In the pre-match Pep love in, he said Brighton create 20-25 chances per match. True to form we had 20 shots last night.

To put that in context, no-one has come close to that against City this season, the next best is 13.

Even more context, only once in his 7 year reign at City has an opponent had 20+ shots against them - twice now!

Just wonderful.

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
I’ve only found the 30 minute highlights
Same here, I have recorded those but I'd like to watch the game again.

I never record our games because of superstition that we lose when I do! Soon as the final whistle went, I went on my Sky go to record the interviews etc :)

Both sides were fantastic, we were immense but for them thought Foden was very good and his first touch is exquisite.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I'd have absolutely loved it (LOVED IT) if we had sneaked a winner, but I'm not disappointed that we didn't.

It was just a fantastic game of football to watch. Great for the neutrals? Probably, but even better if you're massively invested, as we all are.

Going toe-to-toe with the best team in the world, with a massively depleted side, yet largely matching them all over the park.

At times it was like a bizarre game of foot-chess as they allowed Steele to progress...and progress...and progress. They had no intention of pressing him, instead focused on blocking the short passes to the centre-backs. It briefly looked as though he had some sort of forcefield around him that would have allowed him to just walk the ball the full length of the pitch.

Anyway. Amazing and enthralling in equal measure, and a real privilege to be there to watch.
Absolutely amazing & City we’re definitely up for it , they were playing at their normal tempo and high level it’s just they struggled with our aggressive pressing all over the pitch. We have some many elite young players . Still have Sarmiento to come next season, once he’s got a few more games under his belt , it will be like having another Encisco on the pitch . Brilliant

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Same here, I have recorded those but I'd like to watch the game again.

I never record our games because of superstition that we lose when I do! Soon as the final whistle went, I went on my Sky go to record the interviews etc :)

Both sides were fantastic, we were immense but for them thought Foden was very good and his first touch is exquisite.
Foden is my favourite player when playing in an England shirt, so I couldn’t moan too much when he scored. We denied him a second.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Question - can it get even better?

Yes, yes I believe it can :smile:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Foden is my favourite player when playing in an England shirt, so I couldn’t moan too much when he scored. We denied him a second.
I was delighted when he was taken off, then I saw that the bugger they brought on as his replacement was a bloody Foden clone :angry:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I danced to Free from Desire last night.
In my long long lifetime I've only ever danced twice. At my wedding 40+ years ago
and on a ship party where I was very drunk on free beer. Honestly, that's it. But last night the occassion just got the better of me and my arms and body just went mental.
Paying for it this morning, I ache.
Hopefully not to the same song :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here