Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weymouth (A) 21/7 John Waldock testimonial

SeagullSimon

Jul 5, 2003
Kent Uni; Bexhill
Wednesday 12 May 2004

TERRAS stalwart John Waldock has been granted a testimonial against Brighton and Hove Albion later this summer.

The Seagulls will be turning out for the popular defender at the Wessex Stadium on Wednesday, July 21 (7.45pm).

And Waldock, who last season was appointed player-coach by manager Steve Claridge, today thanked chairman Ian Ridley for arranging the game.

"I'm delighted," he said. "It's a great way for me to say thank you to the fans who have been so good to me over the years and I appreciate the work that's gone into arranging the game by both the chairman and the gaffer. Obviously the connection is Steve Claridge and their manager Mark McGee who used to be at Millwall together.

"Brighton are a top side and couldn't have wished for better opponents. Players like Leon Knight and Guy Butters are really well known and it will be nice for our couple of ex-Seagulls Robbie Pethick and Shaun Wilkinson.

"It's early days in terms of planning but I'm hoping to get a few big names in to play for the Weymouth side which will be nice for the

supporters. But one thing's for sure, it will be a great night out and I'm really looking forward to it."

Waldock, 28, has played more than 350 games for the Terras since moving to the south coast after Graham Carr snapped him up from Sunderland in 1995.

And after some terrific performances at the heart of Weymouth's defence he soon attracted the attention of a host of League clubs with Plymouth Argyle almost signing him back in 1999.

But while many feel he could and should have made it at a higher level, the Newcastle-born stopper has remained loyal to the Terras through good times and bad.

"I've loved every minute of my time at the club," he explained, "and certainly have no regrets. There's been good times and not so good but we've always come through smiling.

"Last season with Ian and Steve was fantastic and the turn around was incredible. Those two said what they would do and they were as good as their word.

"But the best thing about Weymouth for me has always been the fans who are among the best in the game. They've always been tremendous towards me and it's probably why so many players stay so long at the club."

Despite being offered another year's contract as player-coach, Waldock admits he's undecided about the future.

He added: "I'm going to have a good break this summer and really take stock of things. It's great of Steve to offer me another year but to be honest I don't think I'm the right man for the job. I feel I'm too young and inexperienced to be an effective coach and I might just go away, get my coaching badges and then see what's happening in a year or twos time.

"But like I say, I've not really thought it all through yet but I will do during the summer. For now the plan is to rest, concentrate on the testimonial and see how things shape up from there."

SeagullSimon

Jul 5, 2003
Kent Uni; Bexhill
Southend United will warm up for next season by facing both Millwall and Brighton at Roots Hall.

Dates for the games have yet to be confirmed but Shrimpers chief Steve Tilson is satisfied with his side's schedule for the 2004/05 campaign.

"They will both be good games," he said.

"Millwall are a good team, they're in the FA Cup final and have had a good season. Brighton are in the play-offs and they could also be a First Division side by the time we play them."

Published Wednesday May 12, 2004

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
right , i'm up for that , now gotta work out how i'm gonna get there?

Dandyman

In London village.
Trigger said:
Is the Southend away friendly on a weekend do you know?...

Is Sarfend ever a friendly ? :censored:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Looks like a tour of dodgy old seaside towns for our pre-season then.

Where else might we be playing... Worthing, Bognor, Dover, Bournemouth ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here