Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We've signed someone - Aaron Hughes

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You make it sound like there were 12 negative and 244 positives. I stopped at 12, there are more of them. There were more of them I didn't quote because they were people reiterating their own position already mentioned. There are double posts. The thread is merged so there are a couple of 'upson to sign/upson has signed?' posts that are repeated, there are off-topic in-fighting posts. There are several 'a good loan signing, but lets get someone better in the summer' posts and 'it's only a loan until the summer' as if trying to put a positive spin on it. There are some I have trouble determining if they are positive or negative. Even the positive ones aren't effusive to the point that I would call 'overwhelmingly positive'.

I suppose the 'heaviness' of the criticism is somewhat subjective. But there was a clear negative reaction to news of his signing.

The miseries referred to posters rather than posts. Some repeated themselves with more negative comments.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A good signing, if his body can still hack it. But pace and youth not prerequisites in his position.

I've been to a few Fulham games, as well as seeing him on TV like everyone else. Hughes was an excellent PL player and defender.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
He's alright. Not sure there are many CB's at championship level who really excite anyone. Would have thought Sami would be a good judge of CB anyway willing to trust. Next signing to be a winger ?? Hopefully.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Decent signing ( although not before time ) Lets hope a few more will follow very soon.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The miseries referred to posters rather than posts. Some repeated themselves with more negative comments.

Ah, you confused me by comparing the number of negative posters to the total number of posts in the thread. I would suspect a lot of the positive/neutral people repeated themselves/got involved in debates, too. So it is still more significant than your 12 posters v 256 posts comment suggests.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Are we really arguing over who NSC is / has been more negative about. This is a new one.

No, one poster suggested NSC was initially negative about a previous signing (to draw parallels to the less than excited response of some posters in this thread). Another couple of posters remember it differently, I posted the signing thread highlighting a few of the initial negative comments to show it was quite negative.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Well as far as I'm concerned I don't really care what he's been like in the past. I'm concerned with his future, and someone at the Albion has seen fit to bring him in and see how it works out for us all.

Oh yeah, I could have a whinge about the size of the boils on his arse, or the colour of his current car but what would be the point?

I refer you all to Spain's performance at the World Cup, and Costa Rica's. Expectation isn't always matched by performance so if I make no assumptions about what he'll be like then I'm happier to not stress about disasters, Sammy Lee and away trips to Middlesbrough.

Some of you lot need to chill out a bit and give the bloke a chance.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Wayne Bridge was a no-hoper too, wasn't he?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Not enormously enamoured with his signing, but trustworthy of him as a reasonable centre-half. I'm hoping still, maybe misguidedly, that he's one of many, including a few bright and rising possible stars rather than just a set of wrinkled chaps we find supping at the last chance saloon. I might be asking for too much, and won't be too much of a baby if it doesn't happen, but i do want to be thrilled an arrival alongside our steady pros.
I hugely under-admired the talents and ardour of Ward when he turned up, so it's strongly possible i could wrongly expect too little of Hughes too.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
No, one poster suggested NSC was initially negative about a previous signing (to draw parallels to the less than excited response of some posters in this thread). Another couple of posters remember it differently, I posted the signing thread highlighting a few of the initial negative comments to show it was quite negative.
For some reason this is making me laugh as I have no idea if you're being serious or not!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If I was a Reading fan, I'd have gone on my forum at the beginning of last season and broadcast the fact that the Bridge signing was brilliant ( having checked out NSC opinion, press etc). But in retrospect, it was a bad signing. They must have paid him good money too! I can't judge Hughes for that reason but if he turns out like Upson, Bridge and Ward for us, then the club have done very well indeed. He has the potential, lets wait and see.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I'd say for certain he's the Upson replacement. Premier League and international experience? Tick. Available free immediately? Tick. Able to mentor Maksi and Dunk? Tick again. I think with this morning's announcement that Maksimenko is stepping up we have our CBs. Now for a keeper, left back and backup striker please.

the replacement who probably wont play. How's that a direct replacement?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Number 18 ??? (Forster-Caskey at the moment)

A scoop! Defenders with a lot of experience (450 games) with the lesser Premier League clubs have a lot of experience in defending by necessity. Not like a youngster from Chelsea reserves at all.

Whether he has still got the legs to run around the pitch, we will just have to see. Captain of Northern Ireland stands for something.

http://origin-www.premierleague.com/page/PlayerProfile/0,,12306~5942,00.html

"never did a massive amount wrong, but never set the world alight. A good solid, honest defender"

Mags: http://www.nufc-forum.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=33782.0

I wanted to us to sign a speedy marquee defender from a foreign club, but that will have to come later.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here