Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wetherspoons

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Cheap and cheerful but serves a purpose - you get loaded on a budget :lolol: :lolol:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Beach Hut said:
Cheap and cheerful but serves a purpose - you get loaded on a budget :lolol: :lolol:

cheap and cheerful conjours up visions of asda's own. cheap and a high quality bar somes it up better

Let's repeat that drink list again

grey goose
Johnny Walker Black label
Knob creek
Bulleit Bourbon
Leffe Blond

mmmmmmm
:drink:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
dwayne said:
cheap and cheerful conjours up visions of asda's own. cheap and a high quality bar somes it up better

Let's repeat that drink list again

grey goose
Johnny Walker Black label
Knob creek
Bulleit Bourbon
Leffe Blond

mmmmmmm
:drink:

Seeing as I have a simpleton alcohol requirement I would not bother with any of these and the Asda reference is valid with all the offers they do.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Perhaps the 'spoons in the West End are of a high quality but generally speaking they are pretty bottom of the market pubs. The staff are all paid minimum wage and as such cannot be arsed so the bars are invariably untidy and often badly kept. All I have been in cannot keep proper beer very well at all and I only drink bottles if I'm in there.

Furthermore the food is utterly atrocious tripe that a Safeway cafe would be embarrassed to serve up.

And of a weekend the toilets stink of vomit, without fail.

Wetherpoons pubs serve a purpose, yes, but lets not go kidding ourselves that they are upmarket or classy venues because they aren't. Their sister venture, the Lloyds No.1 bars are far nicer places. Not perfect, but a damned sight nicer.

You know what to expect with a Wetherpoons pub, and you get what you pay for.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Bluejuice said:
Perhaps the 'spoons in the West End are of a high quality but generally speaking they are pretty bottom of the market pubs. The staff are all paid minimum wage and as such cannot be arsed so the bars are invariably untidy and often badly kept. All I have been in cannot keep proper beer very well at all and I only drink bottles if I'm in there.

Furthermore the food is utterly atrocious tripe that a Safeway cafe would be embarrassed to serve up.

And of a weekend the toilets stink of vomit, without fail.

Wetherpoons pubs serve a purpose, yes, but lets not go kidding ourselves that they are upmarket or classy venues because they aren't. Their sister venture, the Lloyds No.1 bars are far nicer places. Not perfect, but a damned sight nicer.

You know what to expect with a Wetherpoons pub, and you get what you pay for.

Totally agree. Only drink them if it's a last resort.

E

enigma

Weatherspoons is good if you want a chat and you havent got much money.

It's not the classiest chain but I dont think it pretends to be.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Generally can't stand them at weekend night times. They usually get so rammed you can't move, they're not especially comfortable, and the atmosphere isn't that great anyway. The Eastbourne one is cavernous, which I don't mind during the afternoon for a couple of quiet ones, but at busy times it's a mission just to get served. Give me an old fashioned boozer anytime.

EDIT: Yes, the selection of booze should be applauded, however. :)

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I have only ever been barred from going into one pub in my entire life and it was Wetherspoons in Cardiff on Playoff final day.
I stepped outside to take a call on my mobile because it was so noisy(leaving my bag, friends and Ned inside) and the plonker on the door wouldn't let me back in.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
not so sure

the one in George Street Hove has slipped recently - 2 brands of beer out of stock last night, and their food looked liked leftovers (BLT bap came in a tiny roll, with soggy lettuce... have the Albion caterers taken over?

i like having no music, so i can have a decent chat with me mates.

want music? go clubbing! (bah humbug etc..):drink:

their saving grace is CHEAP prices - just need to kep more in stock!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Re: not so sure

desprateseagull said:
the one in George Street Hove has slipped recently - 2 brands of beer out of stock last night, and their food looked liked leftovers (BLT bap came in a tiny roll, with soggy lettuce... have the Albion caterers taken over?

i like having no music, so i can have a decent chat with me mates.

want music? go clubbing! (bah humbug etc..):drink:

their saving grace is CHEAP prices - just need to kep more in stock!

Always stayed well clear of the one in George Street. Always seems to be full of either old Grannies or Yobs.

Wethers is a legendary pub, sure it's dull but I always pop in there first on a night out; jug of Vodka red bull for 6 quid then any four shots (try the 70% rum one!) for a fiver, sets me up nicely for the rest of the night and saves me having to buy too many over the road in the over-priced Yates.

Forgot, I took this picture in the Norwich Wetherspoons I went to in July (not the one that plays music). Nice.

33568.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here