[News] Wetherspoons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't like boris who although a remainer a heart saw the big career picture and did a "me first" u-turn, I don't like the politics of my boss but I still work for him. I hate the politics of the two faced tax "avoiding"traitor branson and all the state subsidies given during Covid but I still got on his aeroplane.

I hate the way amazon is destroying the high street ( particularly with the Sub JML crap from outlets on there) but I still have a Kindle .

I hate the way we are ripped off for everything from fuel to sewage by the foreign owned companies the reaped the benefits of privatisation as much as I hate the carpetbaggers that destroyed the Building Societies and fell for the "Tell Sid " con trick.

Life ain't that simple in a "free market " economy but it is the only one we have. We have to deal with consequences of " There is no such thing as Society " and I regard Martin as no worse than the others.
Excellent post. I hate shopping in Sainsbury's because the Qatari royal family is the largest shareholder - and perhaps I should stop paying Ojo for my gas in case some of it comes from Russia - and as for filling up my car with petrol from the Saudis ................... oh the guilt trip.

On Weatherspoons, I am wondering if there's another reason for them doing a roaring trade, apart from the excellent choice of beers at cheap prices, and the cheap and cheerful (but usually tasty) food - maybe their clientele recognise and welcome it as a place where there's no chance of running into hard-line remainers grumbling about B***** because they have vowed never to set foot in the place as long as Tim Martin is in charge?

Last edited:

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Simple fact is that all service industry providers pay piss poor money knowing that the state will pick up the tab in working tax credits, and rent rebates.

And there enough on here who deride " menial " workers getting good money anyway. See the outrage over train drivers pay.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I don't like boris who although a remainer a heart saw the big career picture and did a "me first" u-turn, I don't like the politics of my boss but I still work for him. I hate the politics of the two faced tax "avoiding"traitor branson and all the state subsidies given during Covid but I still got on his aeroplane.

I hate the way amazon is destroying the high street ( particularly with the Sub JML crap from outlets on there) but I still have a Kindle .

I hate the way we are ripped off for everything from fuel to sewage by the foreign owned companies the reaped the benefits of privatisation as much as I hate the carpetbaggers that destroyed the Building Societies and fell for the "Tell Sid " con trick.

Life ain't that simple in a "free market " economy but it is the only one we have. We have to deal with consequences of " There is no such thing as Society " and I regard Martin as no worse than the others.

You've made a different decision to me and I'm not criticising you at all. I know there's inherent contradiction and hypocrisy in my stance, because I do use Amazon and I have an account with a disrupter in the banking industry. We're all consumers, we all make our decisions which companies to use and not use for whatever reason we come up with. Personally, I disagreed with him about Brexit but I only decided never to drink there again after his behaviour during the pandemic - that was the straw for me. He could have backed his people and supported them during a really difficult and insecure time but he chose not to and he chose to totally cut them off.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Excellent post. I hate shopping in Sainsbury's because the Qatari royal family is the largest shareholder - and perhaps I should stop paying Ojo for my gas in case some of it comes from Russia - ans as for filling up my car with petrol from the Saudis ................... oh the guilt trip.

On Weatherspoons, I am wondering if there's another reason for them doing a roaring trade, apart from the excellent choice of beers at cheap prices, and the cheap and cheerful (but usually tasty) food - maybe their clientele recognise and welcome it as a place where there's no chance of running into hard-line remainers grumbling about B*****?

I didn’t know that about Sainsbury’s. Ta.

I see my shopping habits changing.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Once again, this has already been dispelled on previous pages. Other people might be willing to let misinformation, disinformation and utter nonsense lie, but I'm not. I don't even have a horse in this race, I just can't stand when people talk like an authority on a subject they know absolutely **** all about.

And you have worked in a Wetherspoons kitchen have you? So you are speaking from a position of absolute authority here? If not, you are just stating an opinion.

And if this forum only accepted posts from those with an absolute authority on the subject under discussion it would be a pretty sad place to be. How many members here do you think have played / managed in the EPL? And yet we all opine on all matters football. You see why your outburst is a tad irrational?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
And you have worked in a Wetherspoons kitchen have you? So you are speaking from a position of absolute authority here? If not, you are just stating an opinion.

And if this forum only accepted posts from those with an absolute authority on the subject under discussion it would be a pretty sad place to be.

My best mate is a chef who worked at two branches previously for around six years combined. I know pretty much exactly how each dish is prepared, what is microwaved and what isn't, what comes in part-cooked for them to fry off - and what is done from scratch. It's just lazy and inaccurate to snobbishly dismiss it as "microwave food for poor people".

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If both of your points above are true then clearly your original statement that they pay £3 or £4 less than their competitors is wrong.

Thanks for confirming it. :)

Ok £2-£3 [emoji2375]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Very low sample rate and it relies on people putting in the entry itself so open to manipulation

This is actually from Wetherspoons own table:

View attachment 146674

Plenty of pubs are £9-£11 per hour as advertised right now.

so what you have shown is the starting rates for 'Spoons. to support your argument, need to show that starting pay elsewhere is £3-4 more, £11.26-12.26. thats a number you refute yourself with an advertised range of £9-11. before we get into those getting more than starting rate.

knowing someone who works for a chain, there is a revolving door of general staff with nowhere paying particularly more than anywhere else, a steady supply of willing staff for a bit more than basic wages.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
so what you have shown is the starting rates for 'Spoons. to support your argument, need to show that starting pay elsewhere is £3-4 more, £11.26-12.26. thats a number you refute yourself with an advertised range of £9-11. before we get into those getting more than starting rate.

knowing someone who works for a chain, there is a revolving door of general staff with nowhere paying particularly more than anywhere else, a steady supply of willing staff for a bit more than basic wages.

Yes well they didn’t publish ‘how’ or ‘why’ that increases. But my point is there are other pub chains that guarantee at least national living wage - £9.90 outside of London so as a ‘starting’ point there’s £1.70 per hour difference as a bare minimum - but I know of others that guarantee living wage that are closer to £11

Hope that helps

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Simple fact is that all service industry providers pay piss poor money knowing that the state will pick up the tab in working tax credits, and rent rebates.

And there enough on here who deride " menial " workers getting good money anyway. See the outrage over train drivers pay.

so we should state benefits to see improved wages. fyi train drivers get upwards of 50k.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Awful lot of well fed, well paid people on here who would never work for the money, be it "national living" or "real minimum" wage digging into perceived better rates in different pub chains.

I just wish they would give as much shit about wages in any sector that has to be subsidised by the state.

Leanordslea "Interlude Restaurant " charges £170 + a cover for the discerning diner . Weatherspoons charge a tenner. The only difference is ' spoons serve better quality ingredients. :D
Wage costs are around the same.

Bosses are the problem everywhere

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
so we should state benefits to see improved wages. fyi train drivers get upwards of 50k.

Well aware of the driver pay and I will never knock it,I mentioned it because the now defunct " Middle Classes " on here have derided it and regard them, like builders and plumbers as overpaid.

I believe it is the duty of every employer to pay his staff the MAXIMUM the business can afford, in Britain they know they can pay a pittance knowing the state will subsidise them.

Jul 7, 2003
That’s alright (I know the owner fairly well) but actually best place I’ve found for a fry up is the small garden centre next to the Friars Oak pub:p

Must try that when I'm next in the office. Burgess Hill is not a great place for lunchtime eating.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Their food is exactly what you pay for, to be fair. Cheap, cheerful and perfectly good value.

I think of all the problems this country has, Wetherspoons is pretty low down on the list.

If we want to talk about pub chains with real problems, try Sam Smith's which is legitimately scandalous.

Wetherspoons are fine for what they are, don't like, don't go. It's the snobbery and misinformation in the thread prior to my post before which irritated me. Wetherspoons are a very well run company, who look after their employees and offer decent coffee, good value food, and affordable and varied beer choices.

If people want to make it political, there are few companies who would ever get business.

Look after their employees you say?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52018360

He branded a lockdown as over the top in 2020, didn't pay furlough and told all his employees to go and work for Tesco.

The last time I went into a Wetherspoons, my husband sent his meal back and refused a replacement (knowing what chefs can do in a kitchen). That was 6 years ago. It wasn't snobbery, it was unfit to eat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports