Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Wetherspoon’s selling The Clftonville, Hove

In fairness the two that I very occasionally frequent are fine and good value but then I am going there daylight hours. Daughters are regulars in the local 'Spoons and they consider a safe place and good vfm.

Yep this Hove one is no worse than any other Spoons, the usual mix there of some poorer folk, some averagely off folk and students/young people. If you don't want to be anywhere near poor people minding their own business, you don't go there, but why you'd want to boast about that on a public forum, I dunno

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
No use to you folk down south but last night me and Mrs SS enjoyed a curry and pint in the William Witherington - our local Spoons in Wellington.
I had a chicken Tikka, she a beef Madras, both with basmati rice and a garlic naan, 2 papadams each with chutney all washed down with a pint each of Stella.
All that for UNDER £20 - what's not to like?

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
No use to you folk down south but last night me and Mrs SS enjoyed a curry and pint in the William Witherington - our local Spoons in Wellington.
I had a chicken Tikka, she a beef Madras, both with basmati rice and a garlic naan, 2 papadams each with chutney all washed down with a pint each of Stella.
All that for UNDER £20 - what's not to like?

Stella? But on your main point ,nothing wrong with a spoons pub, I would have had a decent pint instead. Usually plenty to choose from with Punk ipa as a fallback option.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Stella? But on your main point ,nothing wrong with a spoons pub, I would have had a decent pint instead. Usually plenty to choose from with Punk ipa as a fallback option.

It was Stella or Carling #nocontest
I'm generally a stout drinker with a fridge full of variety. But out for a curry I prefer a more thirst-quenching type of beer - so a cider on hot summer days or otherwise Stella at £3 a pint in spoons ticks the box.
Really don't enjoy the pale, golden and amber ales.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
So are/were there two Cliftonville's . . . now l really am confused. :facepalm:

Yes, outside the south platform of Hove Station used to be a pub called The Cliftonville, the stairs down to Conway Street (past the Bus)Station were at the end of the pub.

May still be a pub with a different name now.

This thread is about the 'spoons pub down the Church Road end of George Street. Also called The Cliftonville.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Yes, outside the south platform of Hove Station used to be a pub called The Cliftonville, the stairs down to Conway Street (past the Bus)Station were at the end of the pub.

May still be a pub with a different name now.

This thread is about the 'spoons pub down the Church Road end of George Street. Also called The Cliftonville.

Now called The Station but in the side beergarden it still says CLIFTONVILLE HOTEL, you can see it on google maps

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It's a long time since I lived in Hove. This thread thoroughly confused me until I realised that The Cliftonville is now called The Station and some pub in deepest Hove is now called The Cliftonville. Very confusing.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Now called The Station but in the side beergarden it still says CLIFTONVILLE HOTEL, you can see it on google maps

Was also once called Bertie Belchers Brighton Brewery Company At The Hedgehog And Hogs Head In Hove Actually- It was the longest pub name in the world

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Was also once called Bertie Belchers Brighton Brewery Company At The Hedgehog And Hogs Head In Hove Actually- It was the longest pub name in the world

When it was under that name I got cornered by a bunch of Crewe supporters who had a very niche fanzine combining their twin passions of football and train spotting.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's a long time since I lived in Hove. This thread thoroughly confused me until I realised that The Cliftonville is now called The Station and some pub in deepest Hove is now called The Cliftonville. Very confusing.

Don't worry about it.

There's a place on shoreham beach, called the Waterside. When I was a lad it was a pub, and called the Lady Jane.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here