Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wet wet wet

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Just got back in the house having been up since 1am

Mum and Dad (who are both in their mid 70s and live in a Northumberland village called Haydon Bridge) were flooded out during the night when the Tyne burst its banks. It was terrifying!

Took me three hours to drive the 40 miles there in a large 4 wheel drive. Water three to four feet deep in the house and the whole house and garden become part of a fast flowing torrent of a river. 40 houses in the village similarly affected. Some not insured.

Just turned on TV to find thousands more in Carlisle and further down the Tyne suffered similar fate.

Missed the FA Cup trip to London (but don’t really give a shit on the back of this) – glad to see we gave a good account of ourselves at WHL and Chippy scored. Will catch up on the game later.

Just found an email from mum timed at 12.50 am saying: the river has flooded and water has come under the defence wall - obviously not built properly. Terrible gales and pouring rain. Have had sandbags delivered about an hour ago but do not think they will do much good. Very scary. Dad has gone to bed but think I shall stay up - not that I can do much but I shall not sleep if I go to bed.

Ho hum … life I guess … may be a bit busy over the next few weeks.

PS and still haven't located Dad's car yet!!!

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think that is very good of you to remember looking after your parents I am sure they appreciate it.

Hope they are OK, you missed a great performance

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I understand every road in and out of Carlisle was flooded. The Carlisle team must have travelled to Crawley yesterday. Did both the Eden and the Caldew flood? Hope your parents are all right, OTLW. Is the Clown of Pevensey Bay all right too?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Never seen - or been in - so much mud (silt) - just had two hot baths to begin to feel clean.

The mud seems to have found it's way into every crevice of Mum and dad's house - including underwear drawers, the freezer (thought these things were supposed to be sealed!) and inside the washing machine.

We estimate they have lost everything - except for a few family valuables which were taken upstairs, a double bed, chest of drawers and a desk and chair! Mum and Dad's car (Dad doesn't drive anymore) was eventually found 500 yards away with water up to the steering wheel.

Dad (who has Parkinsons, Alzheimers and i has had a stroke) was washed off his feet when he opened the back door at 2am saturday to let in the firemen and police ... all in shock, but the big clear up has begun.

But when I looked at the TV coverage of Carlisle I realise Mum and Dad got off quite lightly.

Still haven't caught up on the match - must read some reports and watch some footage (recorded for me) and must frame my unused ticket to remind me of the weekend!!!

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Nic hope that you and yours get sorted out. This kind of thing is never easy and is even harder when you are older. I just hope that your parents can start to rebuild their life after this. I just wish there was more I could say or do.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Wardywonderland said:
Nic hope that you and yours get sorted out. This kind of thing is never easy and is even harder when you are older. I just hope that your parents can start to rebuild their life after this. I just wish there was more I could say or do.

Cheers mate ... just unwinding now, have a busy day tomorrow, then the rest of the week is probably accounted for cleaning up and harrying insurance companies .... remember a few years ago when parts of the West Sussex coast near Pagham was hit by a tornado and looking at the ruined houses and never thinking something similar would happen so close .. serious thanks for your comments

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
On the Left Wing said:
Cheers mate ... just unwinding now, have a busy day tomorrow, then the rest of the week is probably accounted for cleaning up and harrying insurance companies .... remember a few years ago when parts of the West Sussex coast near Pagham was hit by a tornado and looking at the ruined houses and never thinking something similar would happen so close .. serious thanks for your comments

No worries it puts my problems in to prespective. I moan about silly things when a few hundred miles up the road people are losing everthing they have spent their lives working for. It makes me feel very shallow and self centred.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Torrential rain and winds like I have never known before tonight ... seen two chimneys down in the town already ..... still in the midst of emptying M&Ds house .... everything has bene condemned because the flood water polluted with raw sewage ...

hey ho ... taken loads pf photos already ... have a feeling there will be more sad sights tomorrow

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It looked horrendous on the news. I can't imagine what it is like.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Mate who is in Watford has christened it the Toonami!!

Quite witty really!!!

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here