West Sussex countryside ideas

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
For a 6 and 3 year old I'd skip Worthing.

Just head for Littlehampton, and make sure you can see water.

DO NOT LOOSE SIGHT OF THE SEA OR RIVER.

Prom along the seafront, and river.
There's plenty to do, mini train, life boat station, golf, amusements inc plenty of penny push, posho restaurant, a Harvester, chocolate dipped ice-cream.
The actual proper mini railway, behind and right of the posho restaurant, takes you to a very nice park with play area, duck to feed ice cream kiosk that's gone a bit cafey.
Between that park and the sea is the swimming pool, although you can fill a day pretty well without it.

Once again DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GO INLAND. :lolol:

Wise words there. I live just north of the Wick roundabout and between there and the seafront is just grim.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I'm very much an East Sussex boy and as such, regularly drag the family off to places like Barcombe, alfriston, cuckmere etc. I know that I am missing out on West Sussex. Sunday is looking sunny. Where should we go

Ps kids are 6 and 3

Bosham is amazing to waste a couple of hours.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I'm very much an East Sussex boy and as such, regularly drag the family off to places like Barcombe, alfriston, cuckmere etc. I know that I am missing out on West Sussex. Sunday is looking sunny. Where should we go

Ps kids are 6 and 3

Arundel is great, you can hire a boat and meander up the river Arun.

Last edited:

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Wise words there. I live just north of the Wick roundabout and between there and the seafront is just grim.

Having lived here all my life I understand that investment needs to be targeted towards the river and seafront because that's where the tourist money is to be made, but it's a real shame more thought couldn't have gone into the town centre and the 'rougher' areas mentioned. Whenever LA gets slaughtered on here (which is fairly often) I try to put up a decent defence, but there's no denying the contrast between the riverside/seafront/east of town when compared to the town centre and west of town (Wick) areas. I understand that the sea defence work currently being undertaken along the river is part of a larger project to link the town centre with the seafront, so perhaps that will force the investment to be more evenly spread.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've heard great things about Tilgate Park, but I think it's Wortthing Swimming Pool, east beach cafe and cissbury this week. Thanks all

Go Ape too. Screw the kids, it works for adults too (as long as they're not scared of heights).

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Kingley vale has some cracking walks and colour coded . I'd avoid cissbury and chanctonbury as to many people and dogs shitting everywhere .

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Arundel castle and Swanbourne lake. Kids will love it

We had a very agreeable anniversary lunch at the Cafe by Swanbourne Lake last Bank Holiday Monday, shame it rained

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Kingley vale has some cracking walks and colour coded . I'd avoid cissbury and chanctonbury as to many people and dogs shitting everywhere .

PEOPLE and dogs shitting everywhere? Maybe I'll stay in East Sussex!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
So I did do a bit of West Sussex today. We were intending to do Cissbury, based on the recommendations on here but we just couldn't leave Littlehampton beach. What a gem! Reasonable parking, no crowds, sand, fossils, east beach cafe... I'm converted already!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So I did do a bit of West Sussex today. We were intending to do Cissbury, based on the recommendations on here but we just couldn't leave Littlehampton beach. What a gem! Reasonable parking, no crowds, sand, fossils, east beach cafe... I'm converted already!
It is funny to read that, very typically under appreciated by the locals.

As I originally said Littlehampton is a tale of 2 towns.
The waterfront & everywhere else.
You've got a full day and more from The Look & Sea centre, just up the river, round to Mewsbrooks Park and the swimming pool.
But a couple of hundred yards back from that, it's like a Cormac McCarthy novel.

I would suggest you popped into one of the neighbouring villages, but you might pick my one, and that's not acceptable!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here