Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West stand upper

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
My plan was to try and make something us fans could do and be proud of, not expecting everyone to agree but for as little as perhaps a couple of quid each, or perhaps people donating photos or other memorabilia we could maybe frame I really believe it could look fantastic.

Well, if it's only a couple of quid, then you can put me and the boy down for 2.

It's a good idea.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Great idea, it is a soulless stairwell.

While we're carrying out improvements in WSU, can we get some 'tall tables' dotted around so I can but my pint on it while I tuck in to the tasty fare on offer?
There just isn't enough around the sides.

urbanjim

Oct 27, 2005
Dublin
Whilst not intending to be a negative nancy on this, I assume that there are Health & Safety aspects at play here. Am happy to be corrected on this, but I think as it's an access route and as such a fire escape it needs to be kept clear for emergencies.
They couldn't have anything flammable or potential hazards, plus the white walls help visibility if the lights went out.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It wouldn't surprise me if there are some fire regulations about what you are allowed in the stairwells.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Whilst not intending to be a negative nancy on this, I assume that there are Health & Safety aspects at play here. Am happy to be corrected on this, but I think as it's an access route and as such a fire escape it needs to be kept clear for emergencies.
They couldn't have anything flammable or potential hazards, plus the white walls help visibility if the lights went out.
Hmmm... you are presumably spot on regarding limits to what can go on the walls. I would have though something could be done though and still fit regulations - not all access routes/fire escape stairwells have to be paint only, do they?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great idea OP. How about imagery that matches the floor level? The Hereford Escape for the ground floor, Mickey Adams League 2 glory on the 1st stage, Gus League 1 glory on the 2nd stage, Mullery's promotion team on the 3rd stage, Cup Final heroics on the final, top stage?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
If there are fire regulations etc presumably there's nothing to prevent a bit of stencilled art.

Doesn't actually affect me as I'm in the East Stand but I'm in favour of ideas that give fans a bit more ownership in this way. Parts of the Amex are still rather corporate and sterile but it's gradually improved in many ways.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Good shout from the OP. I suspect it's been neglected because the 'suits' would never walk up there. If they do have to go up to WSU (non matchdays) they would take the service lift!

Maybe a local schools project to do Albion/AITC murals? Winning mural judged by the fans gets 30 free school tickets to a game? [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION]?

PG

Like you're thinking, PG.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
Great idea OP. How about imagery that matches the floor level? The Hereford Escape for the ground floor, Mickey Adams League 2 glory on the 1st stage, Gus League 1 glory on the 2nd stage, Mullery's promotion team on the 3rd stage, Cup Final heroics on the final, top stage?
And at the bottom the stairs as we are about to embark on the climb..........NOW IS THE TIME FOR MARCHING !!!

BHAFC_SWC

honorary pierced weirdo
Feb 26, 2013
West Sussex
The amount of dull grey concrete in the stadium was brought up at the NS/SWC supporters meeting in December. Club seemed open to suggestions on ways to 'Albionise' the stadium

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

pasty likes this. A lot. :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And at the bottom the stairs as we are about to embark on the climb..........NOW IS THE TIME FOR MARCHING !!!

You're on to something, a line from GOSBTS on each floor. Re the long 123 step climb, the 3rd verse seems particularly apt:

Sometimes your feet are weary,
Sometimes the way is long,
Sometimes the day is dreary,
Sometimes the world goes wrong;
But if you let your voices ring,
Your care will fly away,
So we'll sing a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
@spoonie I like your thinking. And perhaps a little bar area / pie shop half way up would be a good idea too?

Or if there ain't the space for such, then the simple and safe development of a piezooka, similar to the ones used when firing out free shirts for the most rampant to unstoppably claim, in my mind would be best. Some pastry-loving porkers leaping to claim a still-wrapped hot meaty pie or two in their dislocated jowl would be a joy to watch. And a crueller part of me would like to see a few slow-movers splattered with singeing hot mustard juice from the accompanying condimentchine guns still in testing stage.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The words of GOSBTS, in a nice font, all the way up to the top.

A great way for us all to learn the words.
Genius...! There must be an art student / college class willing to take that on as a project.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Op - great idea...! Someone email barber with a link to this thread...!

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
I Think this really could be something exciting, I believe this is our stadium that we fought so hard for and we really could make this something a bit special and completely different to all other ‘new build’ stadiums that I know we were all so desperate to do when the Amex was being built. I am happy to speak to the Club once we have some sort of plan of how we would like the stair wells to look and as we have already had quite a few ideas and suggestions I am sure we can come up with something we would be very proud about.
Like I said if anyone is happy to send me a direct message with their Email address so we can have some proper discussions about how we can take this forward that would be excellent as well as some people who might have some experience in this kind of thing.

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
You're on to something, a line from GOSBTS on each floor. Re the long 123 step climb, the 3rd verse seems particularly apt:

Sometimes your feet are weary,
Sometimes the way is long,
Sometimes the day is dreary,
Sometimes the world goes wrong;
But if you let your voices ring,
Your care will fly away,
So we'll sing a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

This sounds like a great idea!:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here