Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] West Pier remains - iconic feature or rusting eyesore?

Are the West Pier remains

• An iconic feature

Votes: 142 74.7%
  • A rusting eyesore

Votes: 48 25.3%

• Total voters

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Not been to Brighton for a loooooong time I'm afraid - is there a plaque, sign or something that explains what it is and what happened to it?

edit: As a complete aside, if you google West Pier Brighton Sign and then click on images, the 5th one is a rather fetching picture of Jennifer Aniston! :shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me the poll misses the point. The remains of the West Pier are important in enhancing the power of the i360, which was conceived as a "vertical pier". The former gave great views to people in horizontal form, while the latter give great views in vertical form. Brighton's past and present juxtaposed in perfect harmony.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think it looks absolutely beautiful.

If i'm walking along the seafront and fancy sitting down for a bit I always sit there.

It has a mesmeric quality.

The sheer number of photographers and artists that sell works featuring the remnants are testament to a bit of an ethereal quality. If you're on social media, not long passes by without someone posting a shot of it at sunset, with birds above it, in silhouette etc.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
has to be a rusty eyesore.
The Arches and terraces on the seafront are going the same way, while the council does diddly squat as they slowly decompose taking another iconic part of Brighton with it

There are certain things that make Brighton unique, and instantly recognisable, and give Brighton its identity

The two piers, the seafront railings, the arches and terraces along Marine Parade.

The second pier has gone, the terraces and arches quickly going to the extent that soon they will need demolishing because they will be dangerous and too expensive to repair.

Once gone they will never be replaced and we become more and more an identikit town, indistinguishable from Worthing, Eastbourne and numerous others, all of which are cheaper, cleaner and have councils who actually do appear to give a damn about their towns, rather than pump money into vanity projects and fleece lo0cals and visitors alike with exorbitant and unnecessarily restrictive parking and traffic policies which contribute to the death of the place

The West Pier ruins are believed to be one of the most photographed scenes in the country. It's iconic in many ways. I think it should be left as it is. I love walking past there.

I think the results above would be reversed if it was that tall thingy with the bulging head. Now that's ugly.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The i360 is the only eyesore there.

They should build a new pier next to it. with a proper venue on the end for gigs and stuff. decent restaurant etc and make it a tat free zone, unlike the P****e pier.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The i 360 is more of an eyesore Id happily see that piece of crap pulled down. As for the West Pier I love it, maybe not as much as I did before the most recent fire 10 15 years ago, but is an Iconic piece of the City.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The i 360 is more of an eyesore Id happily see that piece of crap pulled down. As for the West Pier I love it, maybe not as much as I did before the last arson attack 10 15 years ago, but is an Iconic piece of the City.

Fixed.

Whats happened to it over the years is nothing short of a national disgrace.

. DjcSo7SXoAIJWHT.jpg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The i 360 is more of an eyesore Id happily see that piece of crap pulled down. As for the West Pier I love it, maybe not as much as I did before the most recent fire 10 15 years ago, but is an Iconic piece of the City.

This. The i360 is the only thing which needs tearing down. I quite like the West Pier as an icon, it's like a piece of art.

As Terry Garoghan says:

There's a pier for people to sit on
And a pier for starlings to sh*t on

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Fixed.

Whats happened to it over the years is nothing short of a national disgrace.

. View attachment 147501

Great picture that. Taken during the filming of "Oh what a lovely war!" The square helter-skelter you can see (at the shore end, to the right of the Union flag) actually came from Peter Pan's Playground in Worthing and was moved back there after filming.

And that's how I remember the pier. It used to have a slogan: "The West Pier is the best pier!" and I did much prefer it to the Palace Pier. That's partly why I hate looking at the girders now, they're a dreadful (and constant) reminder of what we've lost and can never replace.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I loved the old West Pier as a youngster.

But now it's like watching my old Granny slowly dying with a DNR in place.
What remains is nothing that resembles "quality of life" and the prognosis is terminal with no chance of a recovery.

If it were a pet in that state it would be euthanised but we are not permitted to take such action with a listed building.
So, over the next 100 years, it will die a slow and painful [ugly] death.

RIP West Pier

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Those ticket booths have been restored beautifully. If they did the whole thing to that standard I’d be on the fence. But they’d likely cock it up on the small details so I’d say leave it alone.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It is a rusting eyesore and nothing will change....are the West Pier Trust still going and taking salaries?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think the time of replacing it has now passed and I think it should be celebrated as an iconic feature. To my eyes it has a majestic beauty that is now a key part of the city's visual identity. As long as it safe to do so, I'd like the relic to remain.

it was such a shame when the plans to restore it to something resembling it's original purpose fell through, but fall through they did. If it was torn down and not replaced we'd miss it.

As i said on the Grace thread, it's the only attractive thing on the whole seafront

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bit harsh on Fred Dineage. He doesn't come out this way that often, to my knowledge.

Dinenage.

And it is not possible to be too harsh on him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here