Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Indies v England - 1st ODI, Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, Antigua

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
In the pub, is it looking a victory for us then ? Decent total for us on a slow wicket

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Slow rebuild underway, there will have to be quite an acceleration, in the days of Viv Richards that would be a given, not these days...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They could bowl very well and accurately but I must admit there was a lot of " Chin Music " in those days.... Where have they gone ? The late, great Tony Cozier blamed it on the satellite TV beamed out from the US.... All their athletic sportsmen saw there was more money to be made in Basketball and Baseball rather than staying and playing cricket. Even in their pomp, the West Indies players were always poorly paid. So they went where the cash was.

I think it's quite a sad state of affairs now. We used to regard a series in the West Indies as something to relish. Packed grounds filled with excited locals, dancing and playing music and generally going nuts for their side. Go to an England Test match in the WI now, and the stadium is 80% populated by British tourists. The locals appear to have been priced out, or their team is that unappealing that they just aren't interested. It's a real shame. I have no issue with people wanting to watch England abroad, but it should never be the case that local people in whatever country they're playing in would rather sell their tickets to holidaymakers than go to a game themselves.

Chris Gayle aside, there are no characters in the current WI Test line up who have the same sort of aura about them that Marshall, Richards, Greenidge, Holding, Ambrose, Haynes, Garner and so on ever had. It's a shame.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think it's quite a sad state of affairs now. We used to regard a series in the West Indies as something to relish. Packed grounds filled with excited locals, dancing and playing music and generally going nuts for their side. Go to an England Test match in the WI now, and the stadium is 80% populated by British tourists. The locals appear to have been priced out, or their team is that unappealing that they just aren't interested. It's a real shame. I have no issue with people wanting to watch England abroad, but it should never be the case that local people in whatever country they're playing in would rather sell their tickets to holidaymakers than go to a game themselves.

Chris Gayle aside, there are no characters in the current WI Test line up who have the same sort of aura about them that Marshall, Richards, Greenidge, Holding, Ambrose, Haynes, Garner and so on ever had. It's a shame.
Gayle hasn't played in a test since 2014 I don't think. Can't be arsed with 5 days and having to run at all.

I grew up playing and watching in the 80s, the Windies were utterly fearsome. Opening bowlers replaced after 16/18 overs by another two just as quick.....

Was lucky enough to watch a lot of Richards in his prime at Somerset (along with Botham). Happy Days.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Gayle hasn't played in a test since 2014 I don't think. Can't be arsed with 5 days and having to run at all.

I grew up playing and watching in the 80s, the Windies were utterly fearsome. Opening bowlers replaced after 16/18 overs by another two just as quick.....

Was lucky enough to watch a lot of Richards in his prime at Somerset (along with Botham). Happy Days.
Sir Viv was amazing, half the time he seemed like he wasn't even bothered what was bowled at him...but when he was bothered... It was a case of " pick a stand and I'll put it there "...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sir Viv was amazing, half the time he seemed like he wasn't even bothered what was bowled at him...but when he was bothered... It was a case of " pick a stand and I'll put it there "...

He used to end up in mid-innings hitting competitions with ITB during dull midweek county games (we used to go and watch as kids).

'Beefy Mon I bet I can put de ball in de river before you.........'

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
...and the best Richards 'sledge'......(Greg Thomas, who was rapid)

During a county game, after beating Richards bat a few times Thomas told Richards:

“It’s red, round & weighs about 5 ounces in case you were wondering.”

Richards hammered the next delivery out of the cricket ground and into a nearby river. Turning to the bowler, he said:

“Greg, you know what it looks like, now go and find it.”

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I disagree with the ticket situation, was lucky enough to go to the 2004 Test series game at the ARC and paid iirc 250 quid for 5 days through the operator, the locals payed 10 US to get in, also for as long as I can remember the Barbados Test was like a home game!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here