West Ham points deduction

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
sorry if fixtures:
link

basically the decision not to deduct points was because the final game Man U V WHU would be played with WHU relegated and the possibility of Chelsea suing the FA

just seems a load of bollox to me

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I really hope the struggling clubs in the premiership sue the FA.They bottled it and thats all there is to it

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
they bottled it to help and protect themselves from being sued by chelsea and end up with the possibility of being sued by a number of clubs facing relegation

surrey jim said:
they bottled it to help and protect themselves from being sued by chelsea and end up with the possibility of being sued by a number of clubs facing relegation

It will be interesting to see how much of a united front there is once the final relegation spot is decided. Will the clubs who are safe still back the third from bottom side? I doubt it! I wouldn't want to have to rely on chairmen of Premiershite clubs for support.

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
Frankly, I think West Ham should be given an extra 20 points and a pat on the back for bringing Tevez to the Premiership.

Similarly, Sheffield United should be given a points deduction for failing to control the incessantly crap-ridden mouth of Neil Warnock.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Gotsmanov said:

Similarly, Sheffield United should be given a points deduction for failing to control the incessantly crap-ridden mouth of Neil Warnock.

chelsea should start at -50 then :lolol:

Some rules in the past have been 'waived' in the past for the big clubs who wanted to get a player at any cost. Illegal immigrants who suddenly got the right papers because the club got a nice expensive lawyer, and because they were tasty at controlling a leather balloon.

LEGAL cheating ?? Nooo, the judge said "okay' just this once" - but see if you or I could get that one passed pronto because we wanted a migrant worker.

It happens all the time, but a dandy lawyer makes things go well for the right amount. In WH's case, oooh, let's see....slip us a cool 5.5 million and it'll all be nicey nice

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
NMH said:
Storm in a teacup, and some of you want to drink from this cup wholeheartedly.

It's a legal glitch, that's all - West Ham chose to sign a player - so WHAT ??
The player had a bit of small print mistaken and overlooked by ...... follow the bouncing ball now kiddies....... West Ham, AND the Premiership, until it was too late and he'd already played most of a season. Cheating it is not, gaining an advantage by playing Tevez instead of Harewood ?? Do come on now, hardly the best player in the world grafted in like a Pele to save them singlehandedly, now is it?

They broke the rules and should be punished with points

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
The thing that annoys me about this is that other clubs this season have done simillar things and been punished a lot more. For example, AFC Wimbledon feilded an eligible player and were deducted 18 points (later reduced to 3 on appeal), And Bury were kicked out of the FA cup and I think they were fined (not totaly sure of that). Compared to those incedents WHU have got off lightly IMHO. What is £5.5milion to thier new billionare owner? Not a great deal. Its because West ham are a premireship club and the FA dont want a revolt.

Last edited:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Kinky Gerbils said:
Dont let facts get in the way of a WITCH hunt

...and let's not forget that WHU started some games with Boa Morte,thereby reinstating that famous old cry..."come on the ten men".

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The thing is that by fielding ineligible players in games, it is also feasible that they have affected the European places. There could be many clubs who will be aggrieved at the leniency.

I'd still prefer to see Wigan relegated, mind you.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Wigan, Sheffield United and West Ham should be demanding sanctions against Liverpool for fielding eligible-but-shit players against Fulham last Saturday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
SussexSpur said:
Wigan, Sheffield United and West Ham should be demanding sanctions against Liverpool for fielding eligible-but-shit players against Fulham last Saturday.

And against Pompey earlier. What will the reserve team look like this week.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A point that the clubs who are complaining and talking of going to court about West Ham seem to have forgotten is that in 1983 when Steve Foster tried to take the FA to court to play in the Cup Final, the judge ruled that the FA were autonomous and that by signing to join, clubs had agreed to abide by the decisions taken by their governing body.

I would assume that this would still follow suit with The Premier League, by joining, the clubs had similarly given up their right to a legal challenge.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Yes, it's against Uefa and Fifa regulations. As Newcastle were also told when threatening to sue the FA over Michael Owen's injury.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well before someone points out that the player wasn't ineligible (which technically he wasn't because he registered correctly), what West Ham pleaded guilty to is in my mind is worse.

Most cases like this are down to someone cocking up some paperwork, fielding to many loan players etc.. Not usually deliberate, just a mistake.

What happened with Tevez was very different. In summary his contract was unenforceable in UK law, forget Premiership rules.

West Ham didn't send that bit off to the league !!

What I don't understand is that when Tevez contract was effectively torn up, under what contract was he playing - since I understand the agency still insist the player belongs to them.

In both cases (before and after) are you allowed to play a player whose contract is effectively null and void ?

Registered granted, but eligible ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports