West Ham on Groupon

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WSU

Jan 17, 2012
Looks like the Hammers are giving Groupon a go to increase attendance. If only they had waited until 25th February, they could have done a double offer for when they played Palace!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
they have the highest attendance in the championship, so there is nothing there to make fun of really. They aren't desperate.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Dont know why some take the piss at Groupon's, I think they are a cracking idea to give cheap seats to people who cant afford or dont go to games, a chance to enjoy a game. Just because BHA dont need to sell them doesnt make them a bad idea!

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
wonders how long it'll take crawley to do this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
they have the highest attendance in the championship, so there is nothing there to make fun of really. They aren't desperate.
That's a pretty fair shout. If we get another 8k seats, maybe we'll do something too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
and they want the olympic stadium :facepalm:
They don't want it as it is though do they. They wanted to agree they'd have it, then once Spurs & Orient were out of the picture they could change the plans. I hope they're stuck with a running track forever.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
If they get promoted this season, Im very sure they will do it next season and I'd think it be a great way for a small club but you dont expect a bigger club like west ham doing it.

given the prediction that the fans would come once they went up last time around, which didn't happen, I can't be sure. It has even been said that they can't afford to go up.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I'm all for this Groupon stuff. If you've got a few empty seats it's a good way to fill them and maybe some of them will stick about after the deal's finished.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Groupon is a crap idea as generally it devalues your product and cannibalises existing punters. If we have a poor season and gates fall only to be topped up with Groupon buyers, what do you think will be the impact on the following season's ticket uptake? It's like that Oldham 5 games for £15 offer. If you were an Oldham STH, would you shell out £300 for a STH, or would you pick and choose your games and perhaps wait for the next ridiculous offer.

I hope our club goes nowhere near it.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Groupon is a crap idea as generally it devalues your product and cannibalises existing punters. If we have a poor season and gates fall only to be topped up with Groupon buyers, what do you think will be the impact on the following season's ticket uptake? It's like that Oldham 5 games for £15 offer. If you were an Oldham STH, would you shell out £300 for a STH, or would you pick and choose your games and perhaps wait for the next ridiculous offer.

I hope our club goes nowhere near it.

Dont agree with that mate, I am a season ticket holder (not at BHA) and I know where I sit and who I sit with, week in week out. With these deals you sit anywere there is a space, you have no choise!! so I might get in cheaper but it would not be the same IMO. Also a full ground is much nicer to sit in, and as someone has said, someone might get the bug like we have and come back and buy a ST, its a win win I think.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Dont agree with that mate, I am a season ticket holder (not at BHA) and I know where I sit and who I sit with, week in week out. With these deals you sit anywere there is a space, you have no choise!! so I might get in cheaper but it would not be the same IMO. Also a full ground is much nicer to sit in, and as someone has said, someone might get the bug like we have and come back and buy a ST, its a win win I think.
However:
Palace did Groupon for a nothing home game this season, and still only got about 12,500. I think about 200 tix were sold. So no full ground then.
You are assuming that these Groupon buyers are all newbies, some of whom might actually get a season ticket. The reality is that they are more likely to be lapsed fans who fancy a game on the cheap. The consequence of this type of person getting in could equally be that they may come to the odd game the following season, and that existing regulars decide to hold off next season and instead just go to the Groupon games.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I'd imagine their wage bill is astronomical and they are desperate to make as much cash as possible.

Nolan is reportedly on £50k a week, I think? That is the equivalent of 5,200 season ticket holders buying a £500 season ticket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports