Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham looking at poyet

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
IF they were to offer Gus the job that would be a massive risk on their part. Unproven manager brought in to save a team from relegation two divisions above his current level. I simply cannot see it happening.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
Well, al I can say as an HR Manager is that I hope Mr Grant has Ben through a proper disciplinary procedure, otherwise may have a claim for constructive dismissal!

If you have been I'll treated at work call .............

It wouldnt be Constructive dismissal, thats when someone leaves and claims that they wer forced out. This would be unfair dismissal and potentially, depending whats in the contract, a breach of contract. Itd be settled out of court anyway.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
This

I do think West Ham could tempt him, and in the long term I think hed be a good fit for them. However If they seriously want to stay up I think Sam Allardyce would be their choce.

Of course they may think relegation is inevitable, I think it is for them, let Grant stay to the end of the season, clear out Grant and the rest of the dead wood and bring in someone like Gus to build a new team coached in the West Ham style.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
This

I do think West Ham could tempt him, and in the long term I think hed be a good fit for them. However If they seriously want to stay up I think Sam Allardyce would be their choce.

Of course they may think relegation is inevitable, I think it is for them, let Grant stay to the end of the season, clear out Grant and the rest of the dead wood and bring in someone like Gus to build a new team coached in the West Ham style.

Why would he go to a team we will play next season.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Why would a club with masses of debt go for an inexperienced manager on a 4-year contract, having to pay compo to do so?

Particularly when there are at least four decent managers (Hughton, Allardyce, O'Neill and Curbishley) with Prem experience already available.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
So who has exactly linked Poyet with WHU ? .....the scum media that's who. Now if Poyet doesn't go to WHU, everyone will forget about this story very quickly. However, if he does go, the paper will run a "we told you so" headline. One reason i don't buy newspapers any more.

I hope he doesn't go to WH. Like to see him carry on doing a good job at Brighton but the better he does, the more clubs he'll be linked with by the press. Can't see fat Sam getting the job....he's despised at the Boleyn but Chris Houghton would be a good shout imho

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So who has exactly linked Poyet with WHU ? .....the scum media that's who. Now if Poyet doesn't go to WHU, everyone will forget about this story very quickly. However, if he does go, the paper will run a "we told you so" headline. One reason i don't buy newspapers any more.

Er... not a single paper has suggested it, I did a Google search to see if any papers mentioned it but not a sausage. If you look at the OP, he says "rumours" at Upton Park. In other words, a friend of a friend of his hairdresser's mum's cousin.

FWIW, I think Grant's job is safe until the end of the season at least. It would cost WHU a fair whack to get rid of him and I can't see them doing that. But if they did, I think Poyet would be a long way down the list as replacement.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Secondly, there is no chance in hell that West Ham would want Gus Poyet in their position. It is imperative that they stay in the Premiership according to Gold and Sullivan and employing a manager who has nothing more than division 3 experience to keep a team in that league would be suicide. Never ever going to happen, they will want top flight experience.

Isn't there also a case that Prem clubs on their way down have taken on lower league managers as scapegoats or prepared for lower level management with the brighter up coming coaches or managers?

Personally don't think Gus will break his contract with Brighton, the Amex carrot is well and truly dangled in front of his nose, and I have a feeling he wants to be part of the modern Albion history before he considers a move. He also has major unfinished business with the club. I would be certain he wants a championship or promotion place on his CV.

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
Ok. Let's say that Gus is sitting in the board room with Gold and Sullivan and they are negotiating wages. Gus will clearly be going for top dollar to make it worth the jump. They will ask Gus what previous experience he has. This would then put him in a weak position to get what he wants.

I have always said that whilst he is performing magic tricks with us, he will not be a serious contender for a top earning job until he has:

Saved a club from the drop.... Check !

Turned the same club around almost immediately to serious title winning contenders without having a massive purse... Check !

At the very least, got promotion via 2nd place within an astoundingly short period of time, (say one or two seasons of taking over)... No check.

Kept that same club comfortably in the Championship for a number of seasons with some excellent performances against the better teams in that division... No check.

Surely he would be in a much stronger position to ask for top dollar once all of this has been achieved. Until then, I cant see him getting an offer which is "out of this world".

Plus the fact that there are a few unemployed managers out there (Allardyce, Hughton) that would be better to pay the same money that Gus would be looking to get. It's a no brainer for the directors of any volatile business, surely !!

Gus ain't going nowhere !!!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Firstly to everyone deluded enough to think that we are as attractive as the West Ham job dream on. They are years ahead of us in terms of base support, squad and facillites. If they came calling then Gus would be very tempted.

Secondly, there is no chance in hell that West Ham would want Gus Poyet in their position. It is imperative that they stay in the Premiership according to Gold and Sullivan and employing a manager who has nothing more than division 3 experience to keep a team in that league would be suicide. Never ever going to happen, they will want top flight experience.

Got to agree with that. The Hammers fans would be reluctant to see their club in the hands of a Division 3 manager, with connections from Chelsea and Spurs too.

Remember that Gus's first dozen matches with us produced pretty poor round, so is not a Red Adair type of manager.

I suspect they would want to go for someone who is both Big and Sammish if they get rid of Nosferatu.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I don't think Gus will go anywhere barring his "out of this world" scenario. The reason I believe this to be true is his self-assurance coupled with intelligence.

He is sensible enough to know there's plenty of time to establish himself via a decent and successful long-term project (us) and he has the confidence in his ability to not move too early....his remarks about Chris Hughton's dismissal tells you all you need to know about his outlook on PL chairmen!

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Believe West Hams owners have said in the past it would be financial armageddon if the club went down. Debts of over £100 million.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
This

I don't think that it is inevitable they will go down. There are 5 or 6 teams at the moment who could fill the bottom 3 places. After their run of games over Xmas they moved up out of the relegation zone.

I also think they will be looking for someone capable of keeping a team in the Premiership rather than a talented but unproven Manager from the lower leagues,

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Would Gus be tempted - off course !
Would west ham want him ? doubt it.

It could be argued that Eddie howe has achieved more than Gus on no budget, and his 'big move' is to palace ? Championship teams may want Gus - but at the moment I think we are a better option for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here