Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Awww we're not all that bad
Total thread derail, I was meaning to ask you whether box hedge, reduced to a brown desiccated webby mess by Those Caterpillars is best dug out (as people keep telling me) or safe to leave in the hope that some time soon someone will make an insecticide that actually works on these (apparently) Japanese moth larvae. But in the interim I dug it all out yesterday, so the question is now redundant.

One of my old work colleagues is a happy hammer. :thumbsup:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I can't speak for West Ham fans, but answering this question...

Will we ever see a day when the gay retort is not a fallback “insult”’for knuckle draggers?​

...I've been dismayed to hear it used as an insult by lads the same age as mine - currently 13. I thought it was a generational thing, and had died out, but sadly not.
I can only speak from my experience of teaching kids of that age and I would say it is nothing like the situation in the 70s. There is acceptance of difference in even the toughest of classrooms. I do think that mostly the nastiness kicks in later when they are trying to fit in with their drinking mates down the pub, which would cover the nasty incidents reported on here.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can only speak from my experience of teaching kids of that age and I would say it is nothing like the situation in the 70s. There is acceptance of difference in even the toughest of classrooms. I do think that mostly the nastiness kicks in later when they are trying to fit in with their drinking mates down the pub, which would cover the nasty incidents reported on here.
Yep. We are seeing this with our nipper (age 12). Her best friend is discussing the likelihood she is gay, without anyone batting an eyelid. There are kids with 'out' diversity who would simply have been taunted and assaulted when I was a teenager. And before anyone suggests this is kids being forced into questioning themselves by the woke agenda (<sigh>), the proportion of diversity seems no different from what it was when I was a teenager. There is one bully in our nipper's year who picks on people, but most of the kids seem to pity him, suspecting he gets knocked about at home.

I also agree that when you get a mob, with drink, then it is more likely that mob behaviour may rear its ugly head (and even I shamefacedly recall standing on a pub table in London in 1996 after an England game, drunkenly joining in with the 'no surrender' song :facepalm: ).

As NSC is a refuge for the mature gentleman and lady it is always worthwhile reminding ourselves to avoid grumpy old bastard syndrome because, despite blips, pricks, and setbacks, in general things (including behaviours) are getting better - it is what humans do and is why we are the apex predator.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Mine too.
A lovely bloke but due to the boss having to be elsewhere he did my retirement presentation. My colleagues had bought me, the then current away shirt, but we had recently lost 6-0 to West Ham. He made the most of it during his speech, making the whole office laugh.
I still think he's a great bloke and we still have a bit of banter on FB.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Awww we're not all that bad
I'm sure you're not and I'm certain there are some very decent people in your fan base, unfortunately I've met a few that aren't.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Total thread derail, I was meaning to ask you whether box hedge, reduced to a brown desiccated webby mess by Those Caterpillars is best dug out (as people keep telling me) or safe to leave in the hope that some time soon someone will make an insecticide that actually works on these (apparently) Japanese moth larvae. But in the interim I dug it all out yesterday, so the question is now redundant.

If proof were needed to show mitomas popularity in his homeland.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here