I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I used to be a grade two skinhead. Now I'm getting older I like to keep my hair on top with it shaved at the sides. Takes ages getting it right in the mornings though.

Mannakin

Jun 24, 2013
Hove (actually!)
I wasn't an original, but in the 70's i had very short hair and wore DM's does that count?

I suppose if I could have named myself I would have said I was a Romantic Rude boy punk.:rave:punk:

I wasn't an original either, bizarrely now that I'm 59 I have a skinhead (nearly) wear DMs (the shoes are comfortable) and prefer braces to a belt :)

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I was definitely NOT a skinhead. Being a Heavy Metal lover since my earliest times my hair was down my back.

I remember clearly getting legged all round the Guildbourne centre in Worthing by a gang of skins before finally getting cornered in the bogs where they proceeded to hoof the cubicle door and yock over the door trying to hammer me...saved by OB in the end.

Got home where my dad said “what do you expect going round with hair like that?”

These days I’d be in counselling for years.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I used to be a grade two skinhead. Now I'm getting older I like to keep my hair on top with it shaved at the sides. Takes ages getting it right in the mornings though.

Like this?

0E42EFDC-5DC5-4AED-AAFD-005AB0D3D416.jpeg

Or this?

0EA152FF-B644-453A-95F9-A1E08BF22365.jpeg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A load of us at school were junior skinheads when we were 10-11 fuelled by Madness and the specials etc . . . DM's, sta prest and flight jacket were standard uniform circa 1981, then morphed into mod and scooter boy and back to skinhead again at 17. Never liked the late 70's bonehead look or attitude, always liked the late 60's early 70's more suedehead look, and the music. haven't had a crew cut for decades, still hanging on to some form of hairdo! still wear proper shirts, trousers and shoes, brogues, solatios, and even an original pair of Frank Wright Lofas for special occasions. Have owned and ridden Lambrettas since I was 16 . . . nearly 32 years and still loving it, rallies abroad, popping to the shops, just for fun, but never to mince around like a ponce on Madeira drive.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
. . nearly 32 years and still loving it, rallies abroad, popping to the shops, just for fun, but never to mince around like a ponce on Madeira drive.

I like to mince around like a ponce everywhere I go.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I was a "hippy" in as much as I had hair as long as I could get away with.
Flip flops, tie dye grandad shirt and flared jeans.
We used to sit outside the Brighton Canoe Club and I remember a Bank Holiday weekend when the police confiscated the skinheads bootlaces and braces as they arrived at Brighton Station.
They were walking along holding up their trousers asking if we had seen any grease! (Rockers as they were originally called)

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Grew up in an era when the skinhead thing had mutated from a Ska appreciation to NF atrocity. I remember a book from that time that had a weird fascination to all of us teenagers ‘Skinhead’ ?
There was a recent tv documentary on with original skinheads talking about the mixed culture of music between the races. The new revival seems to want to return to those days but for me it’s all too wrapped up in race hate and violence.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I fell in love with the original Skinhead cult at Woodingdean Carnival in the late 1960's. There was always a fair on the grass opposite the houses at the top end of Bexhill Road. All the local lads one year appeared dressed in Leon Patou checked shirts, braces, Levis, Doc Martin boots. The Reggae beats of the time boomed out. I want to be like them I thought. I bought my first pair of Levis, the "Shrink to Fit" type where the instructions were to sit in the bath with them on to make them fit correctly! I actually really loved the beat of Reggae and remain a big fan to this day. I didn't have a Skinhead hair cut, but as short as I could get away with due to a very strict dad.
As the fashion slowly changed, my school uniform consisted of black DMs, black Sta-prest trousers, braces, plain colour Ben Sherman shirt and school blazer! I once turned up wearing my tartan check shirt, and received the rollicking of all rollickings from the Head Master. It wasn't what was expected at a Grammar School!
Yes, I'm now approaching 62 years' old!!
Would that be Hove grammar school? If so I think I would have been the same year as you.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Grew up in an era when the skinhead thing had mutated from a Ska appreciation to NF atrocity. I remember a book from that time that had a weird fascination to all of us teenagers ‘Skinhead’ ?
There was a recent tv documentary on with original skinheads talking about the mixed culture of music between the races. The new revival seems to want to return to those days but for me it’s all too wrapped up in race hate and violence.

Turn up at one of Wild Wood's gigs and sample what it was like back in the day. Not a smidge of anything but peace, love and having a good time, re-living the late sixties and early seventies through the medium of Reggae and Skinheads of all ages.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Haven’t read the thread but no fecking way, I was a hippy and I still have hippy values. The hair has gone though I have resisted a bald pate with a ponytail or a bald head with long straggly hair. :smile:

Peace and Love man, make love not war (or as the t shirt went “**** for peace”)

They don’t make music like this anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrqMdja4eYs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here