Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Were we more niggly on Saturday?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Just picking up on your opinion that his over-reaction was to get a red.
If so it was a long way short of the mark.
It didn't trigger a VAR review (as far as I'm aware) so it can hardly be called out as an over-reaction. IMO.

I thought he initially reacted to a hit from the elbow which didn't make much/any connection and that he then thought not to play act. The fact that there clearly was intension to elbow him in the face should have triggered a red.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Take the blue and white specs off.

The elbow hits Cucu gently underneath his chin. He clutches his eyes with both hands.

Makes no difference where it hit him, it doesn’t even make a difference if he didn’t hit him at all.
It’s intentional violent conduct. If you do that, you should be sent off.For the ref and VAR to only punish it with a yellow is wrong, and they deserve to be called out for it.

Cucu could have rolled over 15 times and overacted more than the whole cast of Eastenders it was still a straight red card.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The elbow was the most Continental incident of the whole weekend. Should have been a nailed on red but wasn't because of Cucurella's overreaction to try and get the card (IMO).

We also wasted a bit of time - certainly Sanchez did - but all away teams generally do when they're on a result.

As for the rest of the game we pressed and tackled, mostly fairly, sometimes mis-timed but we certainly didn't kick Spurs who, as usual, tried to influence the ref and got upset when they couldn't.

Don’t agree with the elbow. He didn’t make enough of it. If he had gone to ground he would have gone for sure. Cucarella saved him from a red. The rest 100% agree with.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Tottenham were really ****ing ugly in pretty much every duel and set the tone for the game.

As for Kulusevski, surely he should have had a red card. If not in that situation, then he should have had his second yellw in the second half when he kicked the ball away when Brighton had a free kick.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I was once reprimanded at work for using the term "niggly", on the basis that someone could mishear and think I used the "n word". I left that job shortly afterwards, they were absolutely mental. True story.

A mate of mine took my old job, despite my warnings, and he walked out after two months after his manager (same woman) wouldn't pay his travel (in his contract) and she was also "head of HR". Absolutely crazy place.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Makes no difference where it hit him, it doesn’t even make a difference if he didn’t hit him at all.
It’s intentional violent conduct. If you do that, you should be sent off.For the ref and VAR to only punish it with a yellow is wrong, and they deserve to be called out for it.

Cucu could have rolled over 15 times and overacted more than the whole cast of Eastenders it was still a straight red card.

Again, that's not what I was discussing. I agree it should have been a red. I find clutching the wrong part of your body after minimal contact to be making a meal, but clearly he could have gone the whole shot squaddie and chose to only put two hands up to a part of his face that had been unmolested.

I think I'll leave it there. I'm frankly appalled that covering your face after you've been nudged in the neck isn't making a meal of it but it seems the PL has gaslighted our fans in much the same way as it has fans of the bigger teams.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Again, that's not what I was discussing. I agree it should have been a red. I find clutching the wrong part of your body after minimal contact to be making a meal, but clearly he could have gone the whole shot squaddie and chose to only put two hands up to a part of his face that had been unmolested.

I think I'll leave it there. I'm frankly appalled that covering your face after you've been nudged in the neck isn't making a meal of it but it seems the PL has gaslighted our fans in much the same way as it has fans of the bigger teams.

A strange hill to die on, GB.
When David Lopez ( or maybe Orlandi) rolled over about 6 times when tackled in one of his early games, I completely agreed with your point, I didn’t like it, and certainly not one of our players doing it.
I felt Cucu’s was different, he certainly didn’t overreact.
Anyway, as I’ve said on another thread, I’m glad that he wasn’t sent off, Spurs fans would have been all over “We would have beat you if we hadn’t had a man sent off”
As it was , we totally outplayed their 11 man team, and they have absolutely no excuses.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Anyway, as I’ve said on another thread, I’m glad that he wasn’t sent off, Spurs fans would have been all over “We would have beat you if we hadn’t had a man sent off”
As it was , we totally outplayed their 11 man team, and they have absolutely no excuses.

This bit I can 100% agree with.

I really hope the cocky Spurs fella I work with is in the office tomorrow. Boy, is that going to be a fun coffee break.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This bit I can 100% agree with.

I really hope the cocky Spurs fella I work with is in the office tomorrow. Boy, is that going to be a fun coffee break.

My Saturday was lad is a Spurs fan,funnily enough, he didn’t have much to say after the game.
He did agree it was a sending off though.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

A strange hill to die on, GB.
When David Lopez ( or maybe Orlandi) rolled over about 6 times when tackled in one of his early games, I completely agreed with your point, I didn’t like it, and certainly not one of our players doing it.
I felt Cucu’s was different, he certainly didn’t overreact.

I got the feeling that he threw his hands up to his face, then immediately thought better of it - turned away and went on his way. He has definitely play-acted more than once in the past, so I wonder if GP has told him to cut it out?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yes I think we were a bit more niggley than usual, quite honestly I didn’t mind seeing it either. This division isn’t just about having good players, you need a bit of nouse and game craft too. For years we’ve been a little bit naive, soft even, and it’s got us nowhere. We’re up against hardened professionals who’ll do everything to win, if you give an inch they will.

More of the same please lads.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
The Totally Football Show has good presenters and discussion and is my favourite football podcast, partly because it's not all big six and all that. The discussion about us was highly complimentary: 'Brighton dealt with it brilliantly. Yves Bissouma was fantastic. They cut off the supply chain to Harry Kane very well. They play really nice football.' The word 'niggly' came up and was followed with 'not very nice to play against at all. A bit more grit. A bit more dirt. Brighton for too long have been a really nice club.' The overriding impression to me was positive with nothing to disagree with, that we showed that we could be more streetwise instead of just playing pretty football and that Potter's challenge now is to marry up these two qualities. A recommended listen which, from posts on this and other threads, very many will agree with.

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The Totally Football Show has good presenters and discussion and is my favourite football podcast, partly because it's not all big six and all that. The discussion about us was highly complimentary: 'Brighton dealt with it brilliantly. Yves Bissouma was fantastic. They cut off the supply chain to Harry Kane very well. They play really nice football.' The word 'niggly' came up and was followed with 'not very nice to play against at all. A bit more grit. A bit more dirt. Brighton for too long have been a really nice club.' The overriding impression to me was positive with nothing to disagree with, that we showed that we could be more streetwise instead of just playing pretty football and that Potter's challenge now is to marry up these two qualities. A recommended listen which, from posts on this and other threads, very many will agree with.

I would like to see orchestrated attempts to get opposition players booked or sent off as practiced by Man U and Spurs. The PL is a cesspit of cheating and I think it is this pressure on refs that causes big six bias rather than anything sinister from referees themselves. This division is about winning at any cost to make money and sold its sporting soul a long time ago.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I enjoyed Football Weekly's take on Nigglygate.

A talking head was saying Cucu was a shitehouse all game - every game.
(I said elsewhere Cucu did everything he possibly could to get elbowed in the face, so he was)

But because he didn't make enough of the elbow, we let Spurs 'have that one'.
From then on its as if the team collectively decided 'we gave you that, so we're taking everything else'. :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very rich coming from Spurs who love to referee a game and spent a lot of Saturday trying to get Mwepu sent off because he was bossing their midfield along with Biss and Caicedo.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very rich coming from Spurs who love to referee a game and spent a lot of Saturday trying to get Mwepu sent off because he was bossing their midfield along with Biss and Caicedo.

Exactly, that really wound me up. Credit to hate figure Pawson for not being taken in by them. The most obvious sub of the season at half time because of it

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm glad he wasn't sent off.

Dry humping Spurs, at WHL, in front of a massive world wide audience, with Kane, Son & Kulusevski on the pitch was much more fun.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't. We can beat them without lowering ourselves to that as we've shown. What gets me is how little realised it seems to be outside of here just what a cheating **** Kane is all the time.

There speaks someone who doesn't follow:-

Did Harry Kane Cheat Today?

On Twitter!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here