Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wels wales on welsh tell in welsh tonight

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Complet with badly spelld thread tittel.

I'm enjoying this. The commentary is soothing, like a track by Datblygu.

But, blow me down, who is punditting in fluent Welsh at half time? None other than John Hartson. I never realised he was Welsh. Amazing!

Anyway, this music is lovely.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How many of the Welsh are even fluent in Welsh? 10-20% ?
More than 10, 20 or 30 years ago. A living language.

Apparently they have no words for 'stop it at source' though :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
English has borrowed from German, French, Norse and Latin.

But not Welsh.

I shall listen out carefully now to see if I'm wrong....

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
How many of the Welsh are even fluent in Welsh? 10-20% ?

About 20%. They don't speak it down south/around Cardiff. All the road signs are in both languages, it's taken seriously. As someone who identifies as British first, English second, I'm all for it.

Last year at work though I encountered a first - the customer on the phone was an old boy in his early 90s and he put his daughter on to speak on his behalf because he apparently couldn't speak much English and she translated everything back to him in Welsh. From Mid Wales I seem to recall.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Morry Oggy Doggy Ben.

Connor Roberts.

The get-go.

Smashed it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Croat Kit is lovely. Imagine that in blue and white :love:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I swear the co-commentator just said "That cock, ma'bastard" :drool:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That came from nowhere. Croatia were very pedestrian tonight but looked like they had done enough.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Can easily be sorted.

Bbc I player hit "channels" scroll down to s4c.

Then on phone use BBC Sounds and listen to whatever channel has the radio commentary in English.

Needs a bit of synching as radio usually ahead...

Appreciate too late for tonight but useful for Tuesday?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
About 20%. They don't speak it down south/around Cardiff. All the road signs are in both languages, it's taken seriously. As someone who identifies as British first, English second, I'm all for it.

Last year at work though I encountered a first - the customer on the phone was an old boy in his early 90s and he put his daughter on to speak on his behalf because he apparently couldn't speak much English and she translated everything back to him in Welsh. From Mid Wales I seem to recall.
More down south speak Welsh than many think. I've got a couple of friends in Caerphilly that speak it fluently but generally don't admit it. Use to go to the Caribbean with them regularly and when we went on day trips and were accosted by the local sellers they used to speak Welsh to them and they were then left alone.

Also, admittedly 25 years ago, I did a job for my employer in Swansea - it was removing IT equipment so a new carpet could be laid. The moment the carpet fitters realised I was English they spoke Welsh for the rest of the day.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In the previous incarnation of NSC, just for shits and giggles like, I once changed my displayed location from 'BN1' to 'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch'. Big mistake. It completely destroyed the layout of the page, made the board unreadable. Lasted about four minutes before the mods identified the problem and forcibly changed my location to something like 'DontBeADick' :blush:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
More down south speak Welsh than many think. I've got a couple of friends in Caerphilly that speak it fluently but generally don't admit it. Use to go to the Caribbean with them regularly and when we went on day trips and were accosted by the local sellers they used to speak Welsh to them and they were then left alone.

Also, admittedly 25 years ago, I did a job for my employer in Swansea - it was removing IT equipment so a new carpet could be laid. The moment the carpet fitters realised I was English they spoke Welsh for the rest of the day.
My daughter went to Cardiff University. The first day we took her there (20 years ago) we went to a shop just round the corner from her residences to get some basics. As soon as the two women who were already in there as customers realised we were English, they started speaking Welsh.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
More than 10, 20 or 30 years ago. A living language.
Unfortunately, the number of welsh speakers is falling, down 6% on 10 years ago - Typically this wille be blamed on house prices and usually the English....
English has borrowed from German, French, Norse and Latin.

But not Welsh.

I shall listen out carefully now to see if I'm wrong....

Which is one of the reason why English is so strong, it has adapted and borrowed from many languages. Welsh in every day use borrows loads of words from English and other languages but there's a committe somewhere that chooses new welsh words so that there aren't filthy english ones polluting the lanuage and so it gets more and more detached from other modern languages.....
My daughter went to Cardiff University. The first day we took her there (20 years ago) we went to a shop just round the corner from her residences to get some basics. As soon as the two women who were already in there as customers realised we were English, they started speaking Welsh.
Bit of a myth being propgated there - Native speakers will speak to each other in Welsh, as you would expect, but they will speak to you in English before reverting to Welsh again, it's absolutely normal. For instance in our local, you'll be in a group that will tend to speak English if I'm involved but side conversations will be in Welsh, it can feel a bit rude but it's just natural. And I easily understand enough to know the jist!

For what it's worth, parts of my family are from Swansea & Cardiff and my other half is from Swansea so for 40+ years I've been there to South Wales a few times a year and for the last 23 very regularly. I've never heard a conversation in Welsh, it's very very rare down there. Spoken in the valleys and from Llanelli west and north but down south.....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A Naval colleague about ten years older than me, told me they were punished at school, if they spoke Welsh. It was banned for quite a while. He lived In Tredegar.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Unfortunately, the number of welsh speakers is falling, down 6% on 10 years ago - Typically this wille be blamed on house prices and usually the English....

Which is one of the reason why English is so strong, it has adapted and borrowed from many languages. Welsh in every day use borrows loads of words from English and other languages but there's a committe somewhere that chooses new welsh words so that there aren't filthy english ones polluting the lanuage and so it gets more and more detached from other modern languages.....

Bit of a myth being propgated there - Native speakers will speak to each other in Welsh, as you would expect, but they will speak to you in English before reverting to Welsh again, it's absolutely normal. For instance in our local, you'll be in a group that will tend to speak English if I'm involved but side conversations will be in Welsh, it can feel a bit rude but it's just natural. And I easily understand enough to know the jist!

For what it's worth, parts of my family are from Swansea & Cardiff and my other half is from Swansea so for 40+ years I've been there to South Wales a few times a year and for the last 23 very regularly. I've never heard a conversation in Welsh, it's very very rare down there. Spoken in the valleys and from Llanelli west and north but down south.....
I have lived in Wales for 14 years and had 50 pubs in the valleys, Cardiff and Swansea and none of them spoke Welsh. I hear Welsh often in Carmarthen and further North and West. Merthyr is the most Welsh speaking southern town as the rurals migrated from the agriculture to the industry from the North West and Merthyr was the nearest town! In a pub in Llansawel I heard a Welsh conversation and the only words I understood were English swear words which rather stood out!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You didn’t realise John Hartson was Welsh ? o_O
I was being facetious. I never realized he was a fluent Welsh language speaker. Many English players struggle with one language.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here