Well done to Sussex Police

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SeagullAA

Dec 19, 2005
Never felt safer in the whole of Sussex since rumours of trouble began 48 hours ago.

All of them were rumours and they have maintained a visible presence on the streets and online reassuring us. Top work to them all.

We have Airbourne and Pride this week and with the new stadium, the whole of Sussex has really come together as a community.

Please do not spread rumours unless you have actually seen something with your own eyes.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Someone has died at Southwick Railway station.

SeagullAA

Dec 19, 2005
Jumping in front of trains is such a selfish thing to do.

At least he did it at a time when it affects the least amount of people.

Yes, its still selfish on the driver and very few passengers at this time but you don't know the demons the person was experiencing.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

Yes, its still selfish on the driver and very few passengers at this time but you don't know the demons the person was experiencing.
It's also selfish on the family and friends left behind.

BACK ON TOPIC.

I've been very impressed with Sussex Police. There's definitely been a heightened "on the street" presence throughout Brighton, and the constant tweeting from InspLyons, Sussex Police, Hastings Police and nickcloke have been exceedingly reassuring.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ

I can empathise with the person in that they may feel their life is not worth living and I have no issue in them wanting to end it. I just mean there are ways in which you can go about it without potentially traumatising somebody completely unconnected for the rest of their life.

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It's not just the police. Brighton is relatively an affluent area and a small city compared to what's been going on. It was never going to kick off here. How many places have been named with a beach?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It's not just the police. Brighton is relatively an affluent area and a small city compared to what's been going on. It was never going to kick off here. How many places have been named with a beach?

I don't think the suggestion is that the police have prevented the rioting spreading here, just that they have shown that they are keeping on top of things if something did happen, and updating to reassure people that it isn't.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I can empathise with the person in that they may feel their life if not living and I have no issue in them wanting to end it. I just mean there are ways in which you can go about it without potentially traumatising somebody completely unconnected for the rest of their life.

i agree i battle depression tried to take my life a few times and thankfully failed, but i do find people that end there lifes this way selfish, that said the things that can go on in your head is unreal, i used to hear voices and all sorts, it was living hell, what was bizzare with me though medication made me worst and in the end i demanded to come of it they did and now my life is alot better, but i still have bad days, i get alot alot of help have 2 personal support workers and if i get really ill have a crisis team to call upon.

My life got so bad i was not allowed to see my son for about 4 months then one day i had a i really life changing chat with a A&E doctor in the William Harvey in Ashford after a suicide attempt, it was strange not like ya standard chat with a Dr was on a personal level, he had a go at me at times and we got on really well, and he said in the end he could see in my eyes i did not want to die, i was just pleading for help. I thankfully got the help at first privately and then NHS treatment, sad thing is it takes a few months to been seen on the NHS if ya not admitted and by that time ya just getting worst and worst, thats why my family took me private. Found NHS to be better than the private though. I had so many dreams but they have all died now, but im setting up new goals going to go to college and become a Councillor my self, i had alot of evil in my child hood i wont go into it as it upsets me but i feel dealing with it now i can help others.

I wouldnt slag these people off as i been there but i can see why you see it as a selfish act.

Last edited:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Yes I am pleased to see the lack of unrest in Sussex and secondly hope that none of our Officers have been injured when giving assistance to the Met. Well done for that, we should be proud of them and they deserve our support.

Maybe some cautious optimism may be in order at best - but feel it is much too soon to think are we are out of the woods. It is not quite 'back home for tea and medals' time for our valiant boys and girls in blue. I would suggest that Sussex have not exactly been challenged to the extent that other Police forces have.

It is a commonly held view that Policing in the UK is only effective with the consent and support of the community it serves because on the whole we have a softly softly approach and what we consider robust policing is rather genteel compared to other so called first world countries. In Sussex we have some spicey hot spots and scumbags but we don't have some of the demographics and associated issues that the metropolitan areas have. Curiously we have had our fair share of Police shootings of punters that could have triggered civil unrest, as appears to have been the catalyst for the latest problems in London. Yes there has been public (largely media driven?) uproar in such instances - but no disorder, which maybe suggests we mainly have a more docile community in Sussex.

So I would suggest that so far Sussex Police are merely doing their basic job in keeping the peace. In my view it will only be when the Police (and their partner agencies of course ) have addressed the underlying social issues and causes together with sorting out their own performance issues (see the 2010 report on Sussex Police Authority) when they have been making experienced officers retire that we should give them a proper pat on the back.

Keyser Söze

Jul 21, 2010
Little bit off subject, but before we all go singing the praises of Sussex Police we might want to remember/become aware of a few things.

First, since the introduction of Sarah's Law in the UK, 40 applications have been made by concerned parents in Sussex to have information about sex offenders living in their area. Every single application was denied. Now take that as you want, but personally that disgusts me.

I can't remember the exact figures, but Sussex Police also have one of the worst rates at solving serious crimes in the UK. Which to me points to major incompetence since surely Sussex isnt the most dangerous place by a long way.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I can empathise with the person in that they may feel their life is not worth living and I have no issue in them wanting to end it. I just mean there are ways in which you can go about it without potentially traumatising somebody completely unconnected for the rest of their life.

Firstly, I doubt that if you're in a state of mind to do such a thing, that other peoples inconvenience is not likely to be uppermost in your thinking. Secondly - and yes, I mention this every time we talk on this subject - it may not have been suicide. Both incidents of this type I have been involved in, i.e. being on trains that have hit people, neither were suicide. One was a drunken accident and one was a guy standing too close to the platform at Norwood Junction as we went through at speed.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I don't think the suggestion is that the police have prevented the rioting spreading here, just that they have shown that they are keeping on top of things if something did happen, and updating to reassure people that it isn't.

That is exactly what they have done, and they did a fantastic job debunking all the internet BS and nipping the Sh*t-stirring in the bud.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Never felt safer in the whole of Sussex since rumours of trouble began 48 hours ago.

All of them were rumours and they have maintained a visible presence on the streets and online reassuring us. Top work to them all.

We have Airbourne and Pride this week and with the new stadium, the whole of Sussex has really come together as a community.

Please do not spread rumours unless you have actually seen something with your own eyes.

Pffft Airbourne..it's all about the Shoreham Airshow! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports