Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done Paul Barber

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I see all the lickers are out browning their noses.:tosser:

As Barber earns 40 times more than most of the street sweepers and binmen in this thread the proper response would be critical scrutiny not brainless worship.:wrong:

Why critical scrutiny? As the club aren't involved in the arms trade, invading countries or harming children I think the opportunity for "critical scrutiny" is limited. I just sometimes think the club can't do right for doing wrong in people's eyes. Can you imagine trying to keep such a diverse bunch of people happy, you have real fans who occupy the boxes, you have real fans who are STHs, you have real fans who watch the club all over the country and you have others who enjoy coming to The Amex to watch a game of football. All of this diverse group have to have their needs catered for and to strike the correct balance is always going to be hard.

Equally the club need to create a sustainable business and to meet the needs of FFP, balancing that with creating a Championship winning side isn't easy as all too many clubs have proved and many more will fall foul of FFP.

Do I want the club to buy more players, yes I do, do I want to see great players and great football, yes I do but NOT at any cost, I just think we have to realise that and, afterall, it is TBs money, whichever way you look at it, if he has to go and get the money out I do feel he has the right to question spending it or to wait until the bargains come up as the window closing gets closer.

I love the club, but not more than my family and some of my friends, I so want us to get to The Premiership but would prefer World Peace and an end to suffering and I do feel the club is in good hands and we could have a far worse regime in place .... this isn't "brainless worship" it's a balanced view of how I see the situation, which will always differ from yours, I guess?

Here's to a great season of football, arguing with refs, moaning about pies and struggling to get on the trains after ..... Up The Albion!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I see all the lickers are out browning their noses.:tosser:

As Barber earns 40 times more than most of the street sweepers and binmen in this thread the proper response would be critical scrutiny not brainless worship.:wrong:

Bollocks. If someone is the CEO of a high turnover company tasked with the job of increasing revenue and reducing deficit, with the numbers in the millions then £100k as a basic is very small - the rest is apparently made up of bonuses. The being a street sweeper or a binman, whilst noble and worthwhile jobs do not necessarily require the same level of knowledge or carry the same level of monetary risk, so of course the pay is going to be different. Lets face it, you're just jealous.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Bollocks. If someone is the CEO of a high turnover company tasked with the job of increasing revenue and reducing deficit, with the numbers in the millions then £100k as a basic is very small - the rest is apparently made up of bonuses. The being a street sweeper or a binman, whilst noble and worthwhile jobs do not necessarily require the same level of knowledge or carry the same level of monetary risk, so of course the pay is going to be different. Lets face it, you're just jealous.

I'm sure you'd approve of any CEO getting a 350% bonus of their annual wage while the business they run loses £15m a year from a turnover of £23m

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm sure you'd approve of any CEO getting a 350% bonus of their annual wage while the business they run loses £15m a year from a turnover of £23m

If his remit was to cut several millions of the deficit (which, if what we are told is true is the case) then an extra few thousand pounds is pocket change in comparison. It's not as black and white as you want it to be. Besides, we are all aware that some of that 15m is losses brought forward, but then you already knew that...didn't you?

SAC

May 21, 2014
Yeah, he can spend his own money how he wants.
This isn't his own money, it ceases to be his when he has given (loaned?) it to Brighton.

We will never know if someone else would have done a better or equal job on less money than Barber appears to be on. It does appear to be a very large salary for a loss making company to be making though. Perhaps he will also get a share of the income from transfers, which should see his bonus rise further still.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
How's the signings of Caulker and Sigurdsson going on, have you got these over the line yet with all the Palace millions available?

Also how is the new ground plans coming along, it must be nearly four years since the high profile announcement with the artist impression

View attachment 56466

Or is going to be more expensive cladding?

I know where I've seen that before, it's a Tamagotchi

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
If his remit was to cut several millions of the deficit (which, if what we are told is true is the case) then an extra few thousand pounds is pocket change in comparison. It's not as black and white as you want it to be. Besides, we are all aware that some of that 15m is losses brought forward, but then you already knew that...didn't you?

I'm not saying it's black and white, i am reserving judgement until next year. I just think if you put what appears to be his earnings and our financial results together you wouldn't get many people arguing he was clearly doing a great job and worth all the money if it was a bank or another football club he was running.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
This isn't his own money, it ceases to be his when he has given (loaned?) it to Brighton.

We will never know if someone else would have done a better or equal job on less money than Barber appears to be on. It does appear to be a very large salary for a loss making company to be making though. Perhaps he will also get a share of the income from transfers, which should see his bonus rise further still.

Disagree.

Tony owns the albion. He has every right to employ who he wants at whatever salary to run it for him.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It's less pointless than speculating whether Barber's doing a good job when no-one really knows. We do now he's very well paid for what he is, so you'd hope he's doing an excellent otherwise we could get someone in to the same job but cheaper (like we seem to be doing with players)

Complete and utter Rubbish with a capital R.

TB knows whether Barber's doing a good job or not and he's the one who calls all the shots. As he hasn't got rid of him then it's safe to assume that he is doing a good job.

Of course, you may question TB's judgement..........

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It does appear to be a very large salary for a loss making company to be making though.
That's a pretty daft way to look at it. Most companies exist to make money, that is their purpose - so to be a CEO of such a company and see it make a loss year after year wouldn't be too good. We're not one of those companies. Our aim has been to develop our stadium and training ground, grow our fan-base, and be competitive on the field while keeping in budget - and we're doing that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Disagree.

Tony owns the albion. He has every right to employ who he wants at whatever salary to run it for him.

This - which is one big difference between 'approving of a CEO getting a 350% bonus'. We're not shareholders, we have no right of approval or otherwise. None of us have any idea what targets (and associated incentives) PB was given by TB to deliver, but he obviously (in TBs opinion, which, frankly, is the only one that matters) did an excellent job. Maybe he was told 'if you can keep us within FFP, and we get into the playoffs, I'll bung you 350%'. Who knows but I'd expect his bonus to be as a result of assessment against a range of measures, some dependent on other senior people in the club (ie a mix of personal and collective responsibility).

keaton

Nov 18, 2004

TB knows whether Barber's doing a good job or not and he's the one who calls all the shots. As he hasn't got rid of him then it's safe to assume that he is doing a good job.

You seem quite intense about what seems a reasonable point. Obviously Tony seems happy with him at the moment. I don't understand why it's rubbish to say we don't we don't how good a job he's doing. But from your response I imagine you've never complained about any of our players, coaches, physios, groundspeople, stewards, etc.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Everyone said Bellotti was doing a good job at first, he was even chaired around the North Stand by supporters including Attilla so I hope these LICKERS aren't getting any IDEAS of chairing Barber around the WSU

I suspect there would be a MASSIVE PROTEST if anyone tried to do anything so outrageous.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
You seem quite intense about what seems a reasonable point. Obviously Tony seems happy with him at the moment. I don't understand why it's rubbish to say we don't we don't how good a job he's doing. But from your response I imagine you've never complained about any of our players, coaches, physios, groundspeople, stewards, etc.

I have when it was obvious that there was good reason to complain.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

If you ever get a cut, do you bleed blue & white striped blood ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here