[Albion] Well done Arsenal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I suspect that the underlying reason is that some football fans might overload the lift and it would be forever being out of action or being repaired. To suggest it isn’t used in case there is a fire is farcical as that could apply to any lift in the country.
It does apply to every lift apart from those designed to be used and have safety back up, the lift shafts have a higher fire regs etc.

When giving out a safety certificate worse case situations are used. If the authorities get a bomb warning (let's face it that's a possibility) then there is a time limit expectation the clear the stadium. That would also include extra incidents such as people panicking and pushing people on the staircases causing blockages and so on.

Someone fell on the stairs earlier this year and it caused chaos.

May suggest you don't go for a safety officers job :ROFLMAO:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I suspect that the underlying reason is that some football fans might overload the lift and it would be forever being out of action or being repaired. To suggest it isn’t used in case there is a fire is farcical as that could apply to any lift in the country.
It’s absolutely not farcical. Lifts can be evacuation lifts (given dual power supplies and suitable protection) to be used in a fire. Alternatively other measures and procedures can be put in place such as refuge points and evacuation chairs. If none of these measures have been put in place in the WSU then you cannot allow people who can’t use the stairs to enter.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Indeed. I am a mere 64 but I had a knee op a couple of years ago and asked the club if I could use the lift to west upper for one game while I recuperated. They said no. To be fair they offered to seat me in the disabled section, an offer I gratefully accepted, and they let Mrs T and the nipper join me. But it is a shame that they can't allow use of the lift for West Upper. I have never seen it being used to deliver supplies of food and beer. In fact I am not sure I have ever seen it in use. Disappointing.
the issue is the health and safety licence . IF there is an emergency all occupants of West Upper have to use stairs to get out. If you cant manage them there is a problem when 6000 people are trying to get out. As you pointed out-the club found other seating for you and your family which is all you can realy ask for.

Unlikley as an emergency is- can you imagine what would happen if there was a horrible incident and the club said- ah yes we knew he couldnt use the stairs but we let him in that section anyway, shame the weight of people behind caused him to trip, and the resulting crush......

Having been manager of a cinema, I know what the fire briugade and local authority insisted on, and were very strict on adherence for an upstairs auditorium with only 500 people. For a stadium with 30 000 it must be very very tough

What Arsenals license is will depend on the stadium design and local authority want, it differs from council to council and byuilding to building

Its very easy to say to a steward-oh ill be fine in an emergency-but they cant know that-and to be blunt, if you sdtruggle getting up the stairs it kinda means you will struggle even nmore if a couple of thousand people are pushing and shoving you on the way out

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It’s not down to Paul Barber though, is it? I was informed, when I purchased my season ticket in the West Upper before our first game at the Amex, that for safety reasons the lift could not be used for the fans. The reason being that in an emergency (i.e. a fire) the lift could break down and those inside would be trapped. (I suggest people watch the film ‘Towering Inferno’ to get a better idea of that particular shit storm).

In addition, I was also informed that if I had mobility issues then it would be advisable not to sit in the West Upper - mainly because climbing a hundred plus stairs would knacker you out, and also, you would need to descend the stairs pretty pronto in case of an emergency.
Yes! We all know not to use a lift in a fire. But if you are never going to use the lift just in case there might be a fire, then there is no point in installing a lift in the first place is there? Then there would never have any lifts anywhere. Not sure Barber thought that one through!

Take your point about not sitting in WSU if you have mobility issues but folk get older and some peoples mobility issues are only temporary.

And as someone else pointed out, why are the ES lifts available? And as someone different pointed out, it seems VIPs can use the WS lift. What if we had a fire with VIPs in the lift? ???

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes! We all know not to use a lift in a fire. But if you are never going to use the lift just in case there might be a fire, then there is no point in installing a lift in the first place is there? Then there would never have any lifts anywhere. Not sure Barber thought that one through!

Take your point about not sitting in WSU if you have mobility issues but folk get older and some peoples mobility issues are only temporary.

And as someone else pointed out, why are the ES lifts available? And as someone different pointed out, it seems VIPs can use the WS lift. What if we had a fire with VIPs in the lift? ???
Lifts are primarily service lifts. How else do they get beer up to the concourse.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Lady sits a few rows behind us in the NW really really struggles with the stairs never mind walking around. In an emergency she'd be completely foooked.

AlexG

Nov 19, 2021
Berkshire
First time posting (but long time lurker) ... I've been a STH for 5 years in E1A with my 2 sons (aged 15 and 17) ....

I went to the Arsenal game on Wednesday and was also pleasantly surprised how courteous one of the Arsenal stewards was when he wished me a good evening !
It was quite a change from last season when we went to the Emirates for the 1st time ... I asked for directions to the away end /turnstiles about 5 mins before KO, and the steward basically sent me round the whole stadium the wrong way so I nearly missed the start ! It was only later I realised that the block we were in was very close to where i originally asked but the customer service training must have improved significantly since then which is good to see .... and also good to hear that others had similar experiences (y):)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Probably worth pointing out that if anyone is looking for a relaxation in H&S law for usage of the WSU lifts then please search “Bottle tops” on here before getting your hopes up

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Much as some people oh here love to blame Paul Barber for everything, I'm fairly certain he didn't design or build the West Stand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports