Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Welcome to Wrexham

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
This was the FA cup game that according to Ashley Barnes was a good three points

It was shown live on BBC Wales with Welsh commentary. I had the game on TV muted and radio commentary which was a little bit ahead. That was good for the penalties as I knew we had scored before I could see them taken.

Still can't believe they didn't go up that year. 98 points didn't do it.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
If you've not seen the Sunderland one from two or three years ago, then that's well worth a watch. As good as the Wrexham one is, the Sunderland one showed far more going on behind the scenes and was a brilliant watch.

I’ve been recommended the Wrexham one so will give it a go.
The Sunderland one is definitely my favourite of these type of shows. Delighted a third season is in the pipeline.

ads52

Jul 31, 2011
For me it was the scene where the Wrexham player Rutherford got sent off in that last game, and you could tell what was going on in head, I think it's easy to forget what this means when it's the big boys earning the big bucks, but these players in the national League, one mistake and you loose your job and your 35k income. It's brutal but football.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
For me it was the scene where the Wrexham player Rutherford got sent off in that last game, and you could tell what was going on in head, I think it's easy to forget what this means when it's the big boys earning the big bucks, but these players in the national League, one mistake and you loose your job and your 35k income. It's brutal but football.

Yes. I am glad you reminded me of this. It was a tough moment, but a fantastic bit of documentary footage. Couldn't help but feel for him.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Seen the first couple of episodes. Liking it so far. Not sure if it'll be as good as Sunderland 'til I Die, but definitely miles better than the hagiographic All or Nothing bullshit.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's great seeing behind the scenes at Wrexham. The passion McIlhenny displays does feel somewhat faux/false/acted though. :)

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I liked the way the completely ignored the fact that Jordan Davies played for Brighton development squad.

Made it seem like he’d been at Wrexham his whole career.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So within 7mins of the first episode they describe the Football Pyramid incorrectly. :shrug:

It's not a great start tbh.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I have been watching this and I like it - it seems that Mcelhenny really understands what it means to have a sports team rooted in their local community. As always, Ryan Reynolds provides the comedic side of things (and the money, seemingly).

I like as well that in episode 4 they are quite honest about the business model - using their profile, the documentary and social media to get Wrexham known internationally, and then monetising that in order to (hopefully) finance a push for the football league and beyond.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I am really enjoying it. I go to quite a lot of national league north football because one of my best mates is the assistant manager. Our side is part-time but I recognise so many of the issues/characters. It is great. To be honest I am still a bit annoyed that My side Brackley are not in the same league as Wrexham this year. In fact, I think our manager Kevin Wilkin might have managed Wrexham for a little while but they lost the fa trophy and he got sacked (not checked so might be wrong).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So within 7mins of the first episode they describe the Football Pyramid incorrectly. :shrug:

It's not a great start tbh.

If I recall correctly, the graphic was accurate, but the accompanying narration a bit muddled.

I binged through the four available episodes a few nights back, thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to more.

I think McElhenney really gets it, possibly because of his Philly roots, which was also explained in the first episode from what I recall, and Reynolds brings most of the laughs. But the focus on the machinations of the club itself and the fans is handled really well, and encapsulates how clubs like Wrexham, and the Albion, are heart of their local community and an essential part of life for many.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've binged through the first 6 episodes, and loved it. Really looking forward to S2 (spoiler alert - Wrexham are currently 2nd in the National League).

It succeeds in drawing you in by giving some background on club employees, fans, and moreso players at that level. Seeing them with their families, the pressures of being a lower league (National league) player with a family, trying to keep a roof over their heads, to secure that contract. Or some of the younger players all living with 5-6 team mates in club "digs". The sense of Wrexham being a true community club comes across loud and clear.

Then...the americans. I love that what got McIherenenerehey hooked was how blown away he was at the concept of promotion and relegation - such an alien concept in US sports. The pyramid system was explained in rudimentary terms (whilst not delving into automatic promotion / playoffs), and the subtitles put up for the various scouse / welsh talking heads for the benefit of our US viewers was hilarious.

They do seem like two guys genuinely invested in the project. Time will tell how long that continues, but so far they've been brilliant. Reynolds is a funny bloke as well, I'm...developing a man crush.

There. I said it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I've binged through the first 6 episodes, and loved it. Really looking forward to S2 (spoiler alert - Wrexham are currently 2nd in the National League).

It succeeds in drawing you in by giving some background on club employees, fans, and moreso players at that level. Seeing them with their families, the pressures of being a lower league (National league) player with a family, trying to keep a roof over their heads, to secure that contract. Or some of the younger players all living with 5-6 team mates in club "digs". The sense of Wrexham being a true community club comes across loud and clear.

Then...the americans. I love that what got McIherenenerehey hooked was how blown away he was at the concept of the concept of promotion and relegation - such an alien concept in US sports. The pyramid system was explained in rudimentary terms (whilst not delving into automatic promotion / playoffs), and the subtitles put up for the various scouse / welsh talking heads for the benefit of our US viewers was hilarious.

They do seem like two guys genuinely invested in the project. Time will tell how long that continues, but so far they've been brilliant. Reynolds is a funny bloke as well, I'm...developing a man crush.

There. I said it.

Sounds like nice stuff. Always liked the whole story behind the Mcelehneny show "Always Sunny in Philadelphia" - just very raw creativity and far from the normal Hollywood stuff. He won my attention that way. Seems like a very nice bloke.

Going to watch this when I can go through the hassle of finding some illegal stream.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ex Brighton player Jordan Davies in it a fair bit

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep asset stripping *unts trying to destroy a local club for personal greed. Well done Wrexham fans getting rid of them.

Quite amazing seeing their asset-stripping c*nt of an owner Hamilton going and standing amongst them at the Racecourse - not to say anything, but in the hope someone would lamp him so he could then swing the narrative towards them being "football hooligans".

To their credit, he came away unscathed. I'm not quite sure that would've been the case if Archer or Bellotti had tried that stunt in the North Stand back in the gory years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here