Website Design

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bigsul

Nov 2, 2009
I posted last year for advice on website design and had quite a few very helpful replies.

Here's what I produced: Signs | Display | Large Format Printing | Exhibitions | Vehicle Graphics

I used DReamweaver and 'Dreamweaver for Dummies' as my guide! It's quite basic but would appreciate any comments from those that know, especially anything I can do to improve it, or any glaring errors. The initial page takes a while to load. I used a PNG of the main image that is 3.2 MB in size. Any ideas to speed this up?

We are planning an update soon that will involve flash animation on the home page with the various elements of the logo 'splatting' into place. So a quick crash course on Flash is beckoning.

Thanks for your help as always.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
What software did you use to create the main image? If you used Photoshop there is a function called "Save for web & devices" which should dramatically reduce the file size.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Flash animations?

My advice would be not to go down that route. You're isolating so many users and to be honest, not really adding a great deal to the site by having them... Just my 2 pence.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
The bar with the address etc, needs to have some capitals ( No! Ernest) ricochet, burnt barns farm, freckley hollow, battle, tn33 9lz would probably look more professional as Ricochet, Burnt Barns Farm, Freckley Hollow, Battle, TN33 9LZ

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Not bad! Although I would certainly work on the keywords you have in your title. It will make it easier for you to pick up business. Apart from that decent looking website :) I wouldn't opt for flash though, it's an old technology and it would most likely be detrimental to your website as opposed to a help.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Your links open the browser in a new window, you seriously don't want that happening, the links are not leaving your site so they should all open to themselves. People will soon click away from your site when they realise how many browser windows they have open. There are a lot of small tweaks in the rollovers that need polishing up. Other than that, not a bad first effort, but seriously fix the link issue, that is a major one.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Also, I noticed most of your links open up a new window - I don't think this is really needed if you are linking through to pages within your own website, only if you are linking through to an external website.

Just take out the target="_blank" bit from each link.

Edit: Ooops already mentioned.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
That 3mb image on the homepage is way too big and can easily be compressed. Your website will load quicker too.

I also echo any comments re: using Flash.

Bigsul

Nov 2, 2009
Thanks. Do you suggest no animation at all or is there better software to use?

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Thanks. Do you suggest no animation at all or is there better software to use?

Go for no animation. More and more people are accessing the internet through mobile devices now and if you use animation (flash or otherwise) it isn't going to give them the best user experience.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
ricochet.gif

Here's a version of your homepage image, exported as a GIF. It's approximately 40 times smaller than your current version.

Dec 29, 2011
Who made the logo? It's really nice, a great website for your first time.

Coding needs a bit of a re-work, CSS should be added into a separate file and linked to each page, it's a lot quicker in the long run. Little things like Alternative Text for images and keywords make a world of difference in SERPs too. Do you like web designing and learning new ways to make websites better, or do you find it a little tedious? Also the thing mentioned about about links opening in a new tab is SUPER important to fix, your bounce rate will soar if you leave it like that.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I concur re the flash, don't do it.

Separately, what type of UV flatbed did you go for? Does it have a fixed bed or conveyor, and does it print white ink? What's your opinion of it, we're looking to go down this route but need something that will register repeats in place to a tiny tolerance (+\- less than 1mm maximum), and print white ink, Oce seems to be the general consensus on suitability but would like to have something to compare it to.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's not a bad start for a first time, good work.

I'll not reiterate the other issues that have been raised, but looking a little deeper the other issue i would look at is using frames for the catalogue pages; there are several pages in there that have the same URL, because they are framed (i think it was catalogue.html or something) meaning that you'll lose out in terms of indexing of pages as Google will not be able to index the pages it doesn't have a unique URL for. The more pages the better for a site as it gives you more opportunities to be found, so i'd look into that...it's not the #1 thing to do (the usability issues i would sort first.

If you want to look at having animation, then perhaps look at JQuery in the future? With that and the emergence of HTML5, Flash will be redundant (thank God).

From an SEO perspective, i would amend the keywords and meta description; you'll have a bit more success in being ranked initially for location-specific phrases (for example; Vehicle Graphics in East Sussex). Also change the meta description to be a sentence or two about the site and why people should be clicking on it - the meta description doesn't have a bearing as a ranking factor for a website, but it is one of the first things a person will read about your company/website, so it needs to be eye-catching as well as relevant.

Hope that helps. There's a few of us here that are website designers so you can get some good feedback!

Dec 29, 2011
Even if you just want to add a bit of CCS, you can do some really cool effect in the new one (I think it's CSS3). Transitions, movements, shadows can be really effective if used subtly, not sure how compatible it is with mobile browsers though.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

D

Deleted member 22389

I posted last year for advice on website design and had quite a few very helpful replies.

Here's what I produced: Signs | Display | Large Format Printing | Exhibitions | Vehicle Graphics

I used DReamweaver and 'Dreamweaver for Dummies' as my guide! It's quite basic but would appreciate any comments from those that know, especially anything I can do to improve it, or any glaring errors. The initial page takes a while to load. I used a PNG of the main image that is 3.2 MB in size. Any ideas to speed this up?

We are planning an update soon that will involve flash animation on the home page with the various elements of the logo 'splatting' into place. So a quick crash course on Flash is beckoning.

Thanks for your help as always.

Well done, I don't know how far you prepared to go with SEO but obviously you will need more content and also trade good quality links with sites of a similar subject. Also look at your competitors title tags in Google for Signs, Printing.

As other users have mentioned, try to stay away from Flash. What you need is good quality content on your site.

Depending on how saturated your market is you might get lucky and find yourself on page 2,3 of Google for keywords like vehicle graphics.

I notice you are already listed in Google which is good.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:www.ricochetsigns.co.uk

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports