Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We will remember them

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them

[yt]hLSlEna0rlI[/yt]

[yt]wN-NIHbfJ1k[/yt]

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Was very touched when our builders downed tools for a couple of minutes just now. Well observed in our house.

Watch "13 hours that saved Britain" last night with my 16 year old daughter. She'd never really slotted all the bits together before and realised how close we came to being invaded and how horrible the death really was. Poor thing reduced to tears but in a very good cause.

We will remember them.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Here, here ... lest we forget

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.

image8_20051007094938.jpg

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Bent double, like old beggars under sacks, Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge, Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs And towards our distant rest began to trudge. Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind; Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys!---An ecstasy of fumbling, Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time; But someone still was yelling out and stumbling, And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime... Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light, As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight, He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace Behind the wagon that we flung him in, And watch the white eyes writhing in his face, His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin; If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs, Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,--- My friend, you would not tell with such high zest To children ardent for some desperate glory, The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
My Grandad lied about his age and fought on the Somme aged fifteen.He died aged 96 and seldom spoke of his experiences.
Look at the fifteen year olds hanging around on street corners today and imagine them in the trenches.
Progress???
Maybe not!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
... My friend, you would not tell with such high zest To children ardent for some desperate glory, The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori.

Always the start of my Latin classes on the day nearest the 11th.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
My Grandad lied about his age and fought on the Somme aged fifteen.He died aged 96 and seldom spoke of his experiences.
Look at the fifteen year olds hanging around on street corners today and imagine them in the trenches.
Progress???
Maybe not!
Lets not judge our kids harshly, i'm pretty sure they would respond well if needed, you only have to look at the pride of britain awards to see that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Lets not judge our kids harshly, i'm pretty sure they would respond well if needed, you only have to look at the pride of britain awards to see that.

Exactly. Not every 15 yr old hangs about on street corners just as 96 years ago not every 15 yr old volunteered for the trenches.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Sat at my desk in silence in the middle of Turkey at 11 for two minutes.

They will not be forgotten.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
Progress???
Maybe not!

My Grandad done the same to join the Royal Naval Division. He fought at Ypres and the Galipolli..

I have his medals hanging proudly beside my own ( 30 years RAF)

I never met him as he died before I was born...

The Inquisitive Mind of A Child

Why are they selling poppies mummy?
Selling poppies in the town today
The poppies child are flowers of love
For the men who marched away

But why have they chosen a poppy Mummy?
Why not a beautiful rose?
Because my child, men fought and died
In the fields where poppies grow

But why are the poppies so red Mummy?
Why are the poppies so red?
Red is the colour of blood my child
For the blood our soldiers shed

The heart of the poppy is black Mummy
Why does it have to be black?
Black my child is the symbol of grief
For the men who never came back

But why Mummy are you crying so?
Your tears are giving you pain
My tears are my fears for you my child
For the world is FORGETTING AGAIN

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
My Great Uncle (Nans brother!) died and is burried in Italy. My Great Great Grandad was in the Polish resistance and was short about a week after the war. Both in WW2.

RIP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here