Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We were here last season after Barnsley defeat...

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
Last season we scored 18 goals in our last 9 games to get 4th.

All season we have scored just 39 this time.

It's hardly comparing like for like. I think people are deluded happy clappers to think we'll score enough to make it this season, especially when the manager doesn't appear to admit there is a problem at all, nor cares where we are in the league.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
It is to me, last season we finished 4th from this point and this season we will finish 14th if we're lucky

Think you and Vulture need to go and support another club, as this one seems to be not good enough for you. Some people are never happy. Looking at Portsmouth in danger of going out of the football league put our season in perspective. Lighten up.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Should be obvious?

It would be, but Ernest doesn't understand anything that isn't doom & gloom, unless it's an ego massaging thread.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Last season we scored 18 goals in our last 9 games to get 4th.

All season we have scored just 39 this time.

It's hardly comparing like for like. I think people are deluded happy clappers to think we'll score enough to make it this season, especially when the manager doesn't appear to admit there is a problem at all, nor cares where we are in the league.

Yeah, because unless you see 56 pts after 37 games as some sort of disastrous season, then you're a deluded happy clapper. What a brilliant point you've made. If only I could be more like you in my outlook.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
2012-13
match 35 - drew 0-0 Bristol City away
match 36 - lost 0-1 Bolton away
match 37 - lost 1-2 Barnsley away

P37 W14 D14 L9 PTS 56

position 7th 3pts off 6th with a game in hand.

2013-14

P37 W15 D11 L11 PTS 56

position 9th 3pts off 6th with a game in hand.

Every point a prisoner from here on in. No team going for 6th is setting the world on fire. Our form over 10 games is no different to those around us. Everyone is losing, winning and drawing. I don't care what anyone says, we are still well in this race for the play-offs.

Cheers for posting that. The Barnsley game popped into my head as I was driving home last night and I was trying to recall where it left us. It's quite bizarre how similar the records are (though at a guess I'd say we've scored slightly fewer goals this season?). I was at both the Bristol City and Barnsley games last season and both were dreadful, quashing the optimism of the Palace result.

Season is far from over. Let's see where Saturday leaves us. Hey, we're traditionally IMMENSE against Boro at home, right? :wink:

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Disappointing display for a team which is chasing promotion, if you believe the media quotes.

We were ok last night.

The final ball into the box was lacking in intent, or accuracy, and we definitely need a predator in the box to knock these low crosses over the line.

But on another day we could have been 4 or 5 up by the time they scored.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We were ok last night.

The final ball into the box was lacking in intent, or accuracy, and we definitely need a predator in the box to knock these low crosses over the line.

But on another day we could have been 4 or 5 up by the time they scored.

Exactly this. We were finding it easy to get past their full backs last night, and actually getting balls into the box. Buckley, JFC and Bruno all managed to get crosses in. It was just the crosses weren't quite hitting the mark (hitting the defenders more like). Also hit the bar. I wouldn't say we were "unlucky" as such, at the end of the day, if you don't stick the ball in the net it's your own fault, and Kirkland wasn't particularly overworked, but we really weren't terrible.

Maybe we could have been two or three up anyway- I doubt even their slow defence would have allowed us to score four or five. Let's not be greedy :lol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's uncanny that we're in exactly the same position with 9 games to go, and I agree we are still very much in the race.

The difference is that last year at this stage I expected us to make the top 6 - we'd lost 2 matches less and a good 3 or 4 of our draws should have been wins so, arguably, we were in a false position. The final table bore this out. A number of players were also bang in form.

This season I think the table doesn't lie, and no players in our side are setting the world alight. It's difficult to envisage us in the play-offs when Ulloa looks like the only bloke scoring, and even he looked sub-standard vs. Ipswich. What we need is Hoskins and Orlandi fit and in for Andrews and Lingard - at least we'd have a chance then.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I'm glad someone has posted this thread. I remember that Barnsley away game on a cold Tuesday night last year and hadn't realised that it was the equivalent stage of the season to tonight.

If you'd have given most fans the option of still being only 3 points off of 6th with a game in hand, they'd have taken that before a ball was kicked tonight. There's still so much to play for this season and out of the remaining 9 games, I'd class 8 of them as winnable - and even Leicester have got to lose at sometime or other.

Ulloa will be back on Saturday, as well as Stephens, who was excellent against Bolton. Plenty to be positive about.

Edit to add: we were dyer in games 34 (not a shot on target in 90 mins) and 37 last year as well.

Yes I remember Bristol last year where we didn't manage a shot on goal and it was gloom and doom. At least this season we are creating chances and maybe it's just a matter of time before they start going in. The future may be a lot more positive than some would have us believe especially as we haven't been able to score our chances but are still in with a shout

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cheers for posting that. The Barnsley game popped into my head as I was driving home last night and I was trying to recall where it left us. It's quite bizarre how similar the records are (though at a guess I'd say we've scored slightly fewer goals this season?). I was at both the Bristol City and Barnsley games last season and both were dreadful, quashing the optimism of the Palace result.

Season is far from over. Let's see where Saturday leaves us. Hey, we're traditionally IMMENSE against Boro at home, right? :wink:

We had scored 12 more (51) at this point last season.

Immense, is an anagram of 'I'm Emnes', who I'm very much glad I won't be seeing on Saturday.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'm glad someone has posted this thread. I remember that Barnsley away game on a cold Tuesday night last year and hadn't realised that it was the equivalent stage of the season to tonight.

If you'd have given most fans the option of still being only 3 points off of 6th with a game in hand, they'd have taken that before a ball was kicked tonight. There's still so much to play for this season and out of the remaining 9 games, I'd class 8 of them as winnable - and even Leicester have got to lose at sometime or other.

Ulloa will be back on Saturday, as well as Stephens, who was excellent against Bolton. Plenty to be positive about.

Edit to add: we were dyer in games 34 (not a shot on target in 90 mins) and 37 last year as well.

Kieron or Bruce?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How does our form compare since the close of the transfer window ?

Our form post window closing is P10 W5 D1 L4 - 16 pts

In the 10 games leading up to the window closing is P10 W4 D3 L3 - 15 pts

The 10 games before that P10 W4 D4 L2 - 16 pts

We are in fact annoyingly consistent!

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Our form post window closing is P10 W5 D1 L4 - 16 pts

In the 10 games leading up to the window closing is P10 W4 D3 L3 - 15 pts

The 10 games before that P10 W4 D4 L2 - 16 pts

We are in fact annoyingly consistent!

And if that consistency is a recurring theme then we are looking at, what, another 14 points(ish) from our last 9 games? 70 points. That's about the cut-off you'd expect for the play-offs isnt it?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
And if that consistency is a recurring theme then we are looking at, what, another 14 points(ish) from our last 9 games? 70 points. That's about the cut-off you'd expect for the play-offs isnt it?

Would see us 6th to 9th, which based over the season is probably right.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
is this supposed to be a re-building season, play-offs were and outside possibility back in august...........

However a massive probability was us throughout the season developing an attacking philosophy and an improvement to go for broke next season.

For me, the disappointment isn't where we are now but how we are.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
People were also moaning last season that we drew to many games and would prefer it if we won more and lost more instead of just drawing all the time as that would be more exciting. Wow, well we have wom more and lost more this season and drawn less, but that is now also boring, apparently.

What the hell do these morons want!?

To win every game 5-1?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here