Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We Needed That

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
Just what the doctor ordered, a huge reality check of who we are and where we have come from.

The last few weeks the fans and media have started thinking that we can just turn up to the lower clubs and they will roll over to us, and to a certain degree I think RDZ has been wrapped in this as well, GP got all wrapped in the same by the media hype before his departure.

We can all now take a deep breath, come back down to earth, re-set and go again for the run-in , knowing what we have to do and what we are capable of achieving
I think we are more than capable of getting into Europe, but we will have to concentrate and play our football in every game - the same can easily happen against Southampton if we think we can just turn up.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just what the doctor ordered, a huge reality check of who we are and where we have come from.

The last few weeks the fans and media have started thinking that we can just turn up to the lower clubs and they will roll over to us, and to a certain degree I think RDZ has been wrapped in this as well, GP got all wrapped in the same by the media hype before his departure.

We can all now take a deep breath, come back down to earth, re-set and go again for the run-in , knowing what we have to do and what we are capable of achieving
I think we are more than capable of getting into Europe, but we will have to concentrate and play our football in every game - the same can easily happen against Southampton if we think we can just turn up.
Didn't we get that against Forest a week or two back?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's a fair comment.

Our team has done brilliantly. The next stage of improvement will be to show that they can back up an exhausting, emotion laden victory against a big club by grinding a victory against a relegation candidate.

No criticism from me that we aren't there yet.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I was being told by a few posters last week that we were definitely champions League standard this season!! And we have been robbed of it due to VAR.

Can you imagine any of the top 4 starting buonanotte or undav in their sides let alone ANY team in the league apart from maybe Southampton.

Whatever happens we've had an amazing season. We've punched well above our weight and had some memorable games. We will finish where we are meant to finish and it's going to be a fascinating run in. For my heart's sake I hope we go a bit more cautiously Vs arsenal , Newcastle and city.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I was being told by a few posters last week that we were definitely champions League standard this season!! And we have been robbed of it due to VAR.

Can you imagine any of the top 4 starting buonanotte or undav in their sides let alone ANY team in the league apart from maybe Southampton.

Whatever happens we've had an amazing season. We've punched well above our weight and had some memorable games. We will finish where we are meant to finish and it's going to be a fascinating run in. For my heart's sake I hope we go a bit more cautiously Vs arsenal , Newcastle and city.
Our first-choice 11 is Champions League standard. The difference between us and the moneyed clubs is that we don't have the same strength in depth when inevitable injuries start to accumulate at the business end of the season. Hopefully this summer's recruitment will go some way yo addressing that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Buonanotte has massive potential and is only going to improve by playing. He's already in the full (World Champions) Argentina squad and is seen by many in South America as a potential successor to Messi. He's also not strong enough at the moment and doesn't track back enough, a bit like Enciso when he started. You can't say that about Enciso now and that change happened in weeks thanks to him playing.

Undav on the other hand will definitely not be a German international or sold for tens of millions any time soon. Good against Wolves, hopeless in most other games. Lower Prem / Upper Championship might be the level but even then he'd need to be more consistent.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Buonanotte has massive potential and is only going to improve by playing. He's already in the full (World Champions) Argentina squad and is seen by many in South America as a potential successor to Messi. He's also not strong enough at the moment and doesn't track back enough, a bit like Enciso when he started. You can't say that about Enciso now and that change happened in weeks thanks to him playing.

Undav on the other hand will definitely not be a German international or sold for tens of millions any time soon. Good against Wolves, hopeless in most other games. Lower Prem / Upper Championship might be the level but even then he'd need to be more consistent.
Hmmm .... not convinced ... but then I remember Jake Robinson being hailed the next Zamora.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Buonanotte is in Argrentina U20 squad isn't he? That's still a long way short of full squad.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I also think we have got used to brilliant youngsters and forgotten that "you don't win anything with kids" unless you're Man Utd. Young players will blow hot and cold, it's inevitable.

Reactions: A1X

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Don't disagree but the bottom line is that buonotte is at least one season away from being ready. I still would argue that he wouldn't start for any other epl club at this point.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Don't disagree but the bottom line is that buonotte is at least one season away from being ready. I still would argue that he wouldn't start for any other epl club at this point.
I wouldn't disagree with the starting bit because that's our exact model - if we think a player is good enough we take a chance on them and they get PL football while we potentially get a bargain. We could already make a tidy profit on Enciso who's improved in less than half a season though so I'm not sure about your timeline.

All the creative qualities and confidence is there with him. Just needs to get used to the pace, strength and defensive demands of EPL football.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

Some of the football (over prolonged periods) the Albion have played this season is CL quality. We are comfortably one of the better/best footballing sides in Britain… BUT We got smashed in the first half yesterday by a revved up, physical, fast and tactically brilliant Everton. In the second half we were much better, played well and met a back 7 and keeper in fabulous nick. Sean Dyche has bruised plenty of egos before, including ours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here