Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We need to talk about Calde

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
We have found out that x players have no loyalty to the club , just like all other employees

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
As a member of the new coaching staff, definitely. As a manager - no.
He has a sports psychology degree, & was keen on that side of things long before it became "a thing" in football - so he could be invaluable to young players development at the club, should Albion make an approach.
Last I heard he was asst coach for Alaves B, so could possibly jump at the chance to come back to his beloved Brighton in the Premier League.

Who knows though....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, get him back as Spanish player liason coach and move Heaven and Earth to do it.

I would be interested to know the following:

1. What is the unmet need?
2. Why him and not another Spanish speaker?
3. How will this help us recruit a new management team?
4. Why is this the priority right now?

Nothing against the bloke, but priorities, and all that.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
EF97F944-D816-42B5-98D2-B4F83F9E614E.jpeg

Rafael Benítez. Could do a job.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe because he knows Bloom / Barber / and the club inside out...so wouldn't need to be bedded in - and has always said he would love to come back one day??

Great. If we have a vacancy for a Spanish interpreter, he fits the bill. But as I said, we need to recruit a new manager first. I think that appointing Calde over the head (or under the feet) of a new manager would be a bit silly. Tin pot, even.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I would be interested to know the following:

1. What is the unmet need?
2. Why him and not another Spanish speaker?
3. How will this help us recruit a new management team?
4. Why is this the priority right now?

Nothing against the bloke, but priorities, and all that.

Not like you to miss the subtle nuances of my opening post, but you are rattling a different cage. I was merely suggesting that having a contingent of Spanish speaking players, it would be sensible to replace one Spanish fan favourite member of the coaching team (not head coach) with another Spanish fan favourite member of the coaching team. The thread title plays on the similar thread about Bruno and still references the Encanto movie. Barber apparently said Inigo would return some time, so 2+ 2 equals a thread. Other threads are available.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not like you to miss the subtle nuances of my opening post, but you are rattling a different cage. I was merely suggesting that having a contingent of Spanish players, it would be sensible to replace one Spanish fan favourite member of the coaching team (not head coach) with another Spanish fan favourite member of the coaching team. The thread title plays on the similar thread about Bruno and still references the Encanto movie. Barber apparently said Inigo would return some time, so 2+ 2 equals a thread. Other threads are available.

Sorry!

There are so many threads of a similar type right now it is hard for me to keep up. Some of the in-thread posts seem to have taken your musing down a different path....at the end of the day, none of us know anything :wink:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
A few years back Calderon and Bruno were probably equal in standing ( though there were plenty who were slagging Bruno off when he first came) . Not sure what happened but I guess there was only room for one and Bruno took the position - a fans favourite , excellent technical skills , seemed to be a man of the people/city someone who linked fans and club and who was Spanish which was very useful given our state of direction which was recruiting in South America. Calderon ticks many of those boxes , though he has lost his local connection. If the club thinks that is a niche it wants to fill then he is ideal. I think this is what most people are thinking , not that he would be head coach (do managers exit?).

The ship possibly needs steadying and he was a great option. It is possible that Barber was alluding to a return at some point assuming Bruno would move on. Who knows Barber might have him on his contact list and speak to him regularly.

With those who say new manager new broom(team) , Bruno survived Potter's arrival .

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
As a member of the new coaching staff, definitely. As a manager - no.
He has a sports psychology degree, & was keen on that side of things long before it became "a thing" in football - so he could be invaluable to young players development at the club, should Albion make an approach.
Last I heard he was asst coach for Alaves B, so could possibly jump at the chance to come back to his beloved Brighton in the Premier League.

Who knows though....
Once a seagull always a seagull…oh

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
A few years back Calderon and Bruno were probably equal in standing ( though there were plenty who were slagging Bruno off when he first came) . Not sure what happened but I guess there was only room for one and Bruno took the position - a fans favourite , excellent technical skills , seemed to be a man of the people/city someone who linked fans and club and who was Spanish which was very useful given our state of direction which was recruiting in South America. Calderon ticks many of those boxes , though he has lost his local connection. If the club thinks that is a niche it wants to fill then he is ideal. I think this is what most people are thinking , not that he would be head coach (do managers exit?).

The ship possibly needs steadying and he was a great option. It is possible that Barber was alluding to a return at some point assuming Bruno would move on. Who knows Barber might have him on his contact list and speak to him regularly.

With those who say new manager new broom(team) , Bruno survived Potter's arrival .

So close. Nearly a perfect post. But Potter survived Bruno's arrival - Potter appointed him!

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
It's not necessary but it's always nice to have 1 or 2 long serving ex players at the club, just to relate to the players and also explain the history and give off an enthusiastic attitude towards the club and so on.

There's a reason most big teams also have ex players in their set up, from Barca to Man Untied, Liverpool, Arsenal and *coughs* Chelsea etc.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It would be great if it happened, but I suspect the new Head Coach may like a little input to his coaching team ???

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Forgive me but which one of these is in the frame for the manager job? I didn't say sack any of the staff that Potter has left behind if they are former players.

And if you think I think Bloom is running a Noddy club...... Christ. My point was the opposite.

OK, let's consider for a moment which former player would be an appropriate appointment as a manger, or should be brought back in some capacity to bridge the language gap with the Spaniards etc.:

Jones has the best managerial record. I wouldn't have a complete tantrum if he were appointed, but I wouldn't be thrilled. I would be surprised.

Rosenior? Too soon I suspect. He has been in charge of Derby for how many weeks? Currently ninth in division 3. Hmmmm....

Bruno? Erm......he's gone to Chelsea.

As for Calderon, as others have pointed out he's settled in Spain. He hasn't managed. He is assistant coach to the reserves at Alavés. Why would we want to recruit him as an interpreter? How many of the current squad even know who his is, let alone know him? Dunk? He doesn't need a Spanish interpreter.

So you have completely misrepresented what I wrote. I would have expected better from you. :shrug:

What part of the OP suggested that he's up for manager's role though?

"Actually, we need to replace Bruno with another Spanish speaking coach as part of the coaching team. We have a contingent of Spanish speaking players and will continue to do so. I know Nathan Jones speaks Spanish, but I doubt he would come as part of a coaching team, only as head coach. But Calde? I'm sure it isn't completely anecdotal that he will return one day in some capacity or other, so who better to be part of our new coaching team to replace Bruno than Calde?"

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
On the evidence of our recent player signings, who'd be surprised if the new coach turns out to be someone from S. America that most of us have ever heard of and it'll be our English players who need the translator?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What part of the OP suggested that he's up for manager's role though?

"Actually, we need to replace Bruno with another Spanish speaking coach as part of the coaching team. We have a contingent of Spanish speaking players and will continue to do so. I know Nathan Jones speaks Spanish, but I doubt he would come as part of a coaching team, only as head coach. But Calde? I'm sure it isn't completely anecdotal that he will return one day in some capacity or other, so who better to be part of our new coaching team to replace Bruno than Calde?"

I was responding to other posts in the thread and the general idea of bringing in ex players.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
One of the points about appointing popular ex players is it gives the fans a lift. This is kind of needed at the moment. We know him and what his talents are.

It would cheer me up if it happened.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Given the origins of most of our recent signings, who's to say that it won't be our English speaking players who need a Spanish translator? There are probably some good ones in S. America that might fancy a European job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here