Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We need an "enforcer"

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
What we need is more creativity in the middle, someone who can play a quick pass.

I thought the ref today was weak in the first half, he let Blackpool get away with murder. No need for an enforcer in my book.

Agree with this. Andrews, Ince, Crofts and Stephens can all win a ball. We've lacked anyone who can pick a pass for the last month or so

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
equalizer.jpg

He'd sort it out, especially if we went 1-0 down.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We have one in INCE but OSCAR pulled him out of action now and not even on the bench but hey we've still got Andrews :)

Yes I know INCE had a couple of indifferent performances on his last two outings and maybe was a bit leg weary but if he's not back in the squad or even starting on Friday I'll be very surprised

Spot on. We need Ince to start, instead of Andrews. I'd also like Buckley to start instead of KLL and, if fit, Orlandi instead of March. If Orlandi isn't fit, then we'll have to play Lopez there or move Stephens forward and have Jake ticking things over.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
we have not had an enforcer since Nobby went

The reality is a player like Nobby Horton nowadays would only get a dozen games per season because of all the accumulated red cards. What we need is a midfield thug like Jedinak.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

I don't think so. Some midfielders who can pass the ball better through Blackpool's basic gameplan would be nice though. We need more skill, not less

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Watching today it struck me that one of the things we are lacking is an "enforcer" at the back/midfield; a physical player who can stamp a bit of authority on the game. Blackpool's McMahon was all over LuaLua and fouled him several times (KLL did himself no favours by going over rather easily though), what was needed was a tough lad to put in a couple of "hard but fair" tackles to show him who was boss. Since El-Abd left, we haven't really had anyone in this role.

But AEA didn't do the "enforcer" role, he did the "patronising g*t" role by rubbing the tops of their heads in a patronising way to rile them up into making a mistake and getting booked.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Grealish did a job...

However, what we do need more of is GOALSCORERS.
If you look at a list of the top 10 attackers, midfielders and defenders by goals last season in the Championship & this we only have 1 out of the 30 (Ulloa last, Ward 3 this). It's simply not enough

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
neither were fit to clean Nobbies boots
both very good but no cigar I'm afraid

Evidence suggests otherwise:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...erseyside-hardmen-liverpool-fc-legend-3433299
"He would carry the hard man reputation with him until he hung up his boots after a second spell with Brighton at the ripe age of 41.

When asked who the toughest player he’d come up against was, former Manchester United and England captain Bryan Robson – no saint himself – responded: “I won’t say he was dirty but certainly the hardest opponent was Jimmy Case.

“He could certainly look after himself. He was very clever about it as well.” Adds Case: “I never necessarily set out to be a tough player. It just came from my attitude to the team.Winning the ball was vital then. Possession was everything. Whereas now it’s more about ball retention, back then winning the ball was key.
We had to go and get the ball off the opposition and that was something I had in my game."

PG

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I think Jimmy Case might take umbrage with that.

Ince is our enforcer, odd that he didn't even make the bench.

PG

Evidence suggests otherwise:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...erseyside-hardmen-liverpool-fc-legend-3433299
"He would carry the hard man reputation with him until he hung up his boots after a second spell with Brighton at the ripe age of 41.

When asked who the toughest player he’d come up against was, former Manchester United and England captain Bryan Robson – no saint himself – responded: “I won’t say he was dirty but certainly the hardest opponent was Jimmy Case.

“He could certainly look after himself. He was very clever about it as well.” Adds Case: “I never necessarily set out to be a tough player. It just came from my attitude to the team.Winning the ball was vital then. Possession was everything. Whereas now it’s more about ball retention, back then winning the ball was key.
We had to go and get the ball off the opposition and that was something I had in my game."

PG

I would not dispute that Jimmy was hard, the difference was that Nobby was hard but could also single out the player who was going to be a problem and not actually take him out, but make sure he did not see to much of the ball or make sure someone in blue and white cut him out of the game.
to be quite honest if we had a time machine any of the above would have seen us at least in the play-offs
and if you would want a player who could take out one of the opposition look no further than Paul Clarke

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Peter Grummit;6300903 Ince is our enforcer said:
He is not our enforcer, I dont know where people get the idea that he is, due to inexperience he is too clumsy and loses possession and tackles too often. Granted he sometimes wins the ball back but he is nowhere near as effective as Andrews. What we lack is a player with the vision to pick out a pass to set the front men free quickly.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I would not dispute that Jimmy was hard, the difference was that Nobby was hard but could also single out the player who was going to be a problem and not actually take him out, but make sure he did not see to much of the ball or make sure someone in blue and white cut him out of the game.
to be quite honest if we had a time machine any of the above would have seen us at least in the play-offs
and if you would want a player who could take out one of the opposition look no further than Paul Clarke
Agreed

"Clarke is eeeevvviiillll!!"

one of the great all-time chants.

Jimmy would do that job too from memory. I recall him taking out Wilkins in the cup final, unfortunately not permanently enough to stop him scoring in the 2nd half.

PG

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
we just need to grow some BALLS , that is what the English game is all about........not mincing spaniards falling over and serenading the referee , or mincing english to be fair ....players with balls , thats what we need....!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
An enforcer? Well, they'd stay on the pitch about five minutes these days. Pointless making comparisons to players like Case and Horton.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Always remember Jimmy Case clattering an opponent on the halfway line----then helping him up via the blokes SIDEBURNS (that fecking shows my age:ohmy:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here