Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We need a new derogatory term for those gimps that sprint out of the Amex

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Yer pays yer money yer makes your own choice. It's quite unbelievable how often these stupid threads crop up. Some NSC people should mind their own business. I personally stay to the end but would never dream of criticising any who don't... so there!

el punal

As I NEVER leave before the final whistle (bloody wonderful fan me!) I don't know what the queues are like for the trains and P&R buses. As so many fans leave before the end does that negate the advantage of not having to queue?

I still follow the golden rule, even though having to travel back to Southampton, of giving it half an hour in the concourse bar then strolling down to the station or P&R (for weekday games). Very rarely a problem and very rarely a big queue. Having said that I quite understand fans having to rush off to catch relevant connections before the end of the game.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
As I NEVER leave before the final whistle (bloody wonderful fan me!) I don't know what the queues are like for the trains and P&R buses. As so many fans leave before the end does that negate the advantage of not having to queue?

I still follow the golden rule, even though having to travel back to Southampton, of giving it half an hour in the concourse bar then strolling down to the station or P&R (for weekday games). Very rarely a problem and very rarely a big queue. Having said that I quite understand fans having to rush off to catch relevant connections before the end of the game.
Proper analysis of all this would be FASCINATING.

There are obviously times to leave the ground / arrive at the station that are early enough to walk on to the platform without queuing.

Then the queues gradually build and reach a peak at a certain point. Nightmare scenario.

Then they gradually subside until the time again when one can walk on without queuing.

Away from the two extremes then the optimal conditions for arrival are to find a queue moving at roughly walking pace and that allows you on to the platform at the end of it.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
You could look at this from the other way you know...

DESPITE having the most important thing on earth to do within an hour of the final whistle. Our die-hard fans STILL invest in a season ticket against all the odds manage to stay for an entire 80 minutes of the match, risking everything for the Albion.

How lucky we are.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The OP is clearly a local and as such, faces no pressure on his time. His proximity allows him the luxury of being flexible in his timing. He can leave home relatively late and still get to games on time and he can wait behind afterwards, as long as he likes, before strolling out to catch his train/bus. Its a totally different scenario to those who have considerable distances to travel and connections to make. It makes me chuckle that some of the locals on here, posting derogatory comments, don't actually attend every home game and don't do many away games either. ...." Oh, I have to work "...." Can't afford a ST "...." Family committments "...." On holiday "...." going to a concert instead ".....But never mind, let them pour scorn on fans who may have very valid reasons for hurrying to catch a train/bus.

Exactly. The number who fliounced out of attending the Palace Cup game who lived just down the road.... I was pleased to see other Brighton fans on the train back to London that night when others who lived in, say, Portslade, couldn't be bothered. Who are the real 'gimps'?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
You patronising lump of shit, how would you feel if you'd performed your heart out in Quadrophenia The Musical for two hours at the Theatre Royal, you walk out for a curtain call and the theatre's now two thirds empty? But no that'd be fine because you've got your pay check and it's not as though you were performing for the fish tailed parka on your back in any case. Some fvcking people!

You're a litte niaive sunshine if you feel that footballers have any higher moral or loyalty standards than anyone else in society. If Locadia had been offered double his now wages to join Huddersfield where would his loyalties lay. Regarding the watching of shows and attending gigs, I have attended many, not least Paul Weller at the O2 where most of the upper tier left before any encores took place. It didn't affect my enjoyment of the gig and wasn't not in the slightest interested or influenced by other peoples actions, we're all free to chose. I doubt if any player could name 50 people in the crowd, they play, we pay can't see anymore to it than that.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Yer pays yer money yer makes your own choice. It's quite unbelievable how often these stupid threads crop up. Some NSC people should mind their own business. I personally stay to the end but would never dream of criticising any who don't... so there!

Pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about this!

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Why are you so concerned? Zillions of reasons why fans leave early - and if you asked them why (contemptuously), then I would imagine they would tell you to f*** off, it 's none of your business.

There are many people whose day does not end when the ref blows for full time, five minutes saved can quite often equate to arriving 30 mins at home

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Made the same point earlier. All very well for locals to make up "derogatory" terms for people who run for the trains, but a lot of fans live considerable distances from Brighton and have to make their connections. Perhaps Tom would like to make some derogatory comments to my face as I'm running to catch the train when I have a 55-mile journey home after a midweek match.

85 in my case. And I'm getting on a bit.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if we were all the same. Looked the same, acted the same....you book up to see the doctor, and there he is, a footy lad in a white coat. "Pull yourself together and **** off out of my surgery" he says. "Why don't you get a proper job, you middle class poof" I say. "Middle class? You can fend for yourelf, mate; I have a football match to go to". "So do I, but its a bit tricky with me left leg hanging by a tendon". "A tendon you say? You are a fairweather nonce, and you should have your season ticket confiscated"....

etc etc.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
85 in my case. And I'm getting on a bit.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if we were all the same. Looked the same, acted the same....you book up to see the doctor, and there he is, a footy lad in a white coat. "Pull yourself together and **** off out of my surgery" he says. "Why don't you get a proper job, you middle class poof" I say. "Middle class? You can fend for yourelf, mate; I have a football match to go to". "So do I, but its a bit tricky with me left leg hanging by a tendon". "A tendon you say? You are a fairweather nonce, and you should have your season ticket confiscated"....

etc etc.

It's tiresome. The old fellas who sit behind me always leave on about the 87th minute. Do I have a problem with that? No, why should I? They turn up, support the team but want to beat the crowds on the way home. So what? I always stay for the final whistle but usually leg it for the train because it could make a big difference for my long journey home. Live and let live. However, if Tom wants to meet me after a match and call me a 'gimp' or some other 'derogatory' term, bring it on.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's tiresome. The old fellas who sit behind me always leave on about the 87th minute. Do I have a problem with that? No, why should I? They turn up, support the team but want to beat the crowds on the way home. So what? I always stay for the final whistle but usually leg it for the train because it could make a big difference for my long journey home. Live and let live. However, if Tom wants to meet me after a match and call me a 'gimp' or some other 'derogatory' term, bring it on.

Sign me up. I'll batter him with my reasoned argument, and if that doesn't work I may raise an eyebrow at him. Just like this.

???

It is ****ing devastating, so I'm told. :lolol:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Sign me up. I'll batter him with my reasoned argument, and if that doesn't work I may raise an eyebrow at him. Just lik this.

???

It is ****ing devastating, so I'm told. :lolol:

That's probably what I'd do, tbh!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I suppose the uber fans who stay behind to clap the players off before heading for the concourse to watch the highlights, would be TRUMPS?

( as per card playing I must add, not the lunatic fringe variety)

Who exactly is saying that people who stay until the end are 'uberfans'? They are just fans. The criticism has always been for the ones that don't not a self-appreciation for the ones that do.

The cretinous self-entitled modern world we live in is baffling at times. We give an award to the bloody fan of the year, which is often associated with and based on games attended. It's like some of you guys have this ridiculous notion than you are just as good fans as your elders who have many years over you in support, just as good as the ones who attend more games than you and whose dedication spans to the dizzy heights of not leaving before the final whistle. No matter what your situation, lack of money/time/health you still have to hold your hands up and say there are more dedicated people than you. They don't lead lesser lives whose time is less important than yours, they aren't single with nobody to love and care for or any other falsehood you wish to conjure up as an excuse to why they chose to stay the full duration of a match being played by the team they support and you didn't. It looks likely I can't afford to go to the FA cup tie, anybody who is going I would say has one up on me despite me desperately wanting to go but not being able to.

There are most definitely not 10 thousand people who have a couple hundred miles to drive to get home, or with health issues or urgent appointments. They would probably account for less than a third of those who up and leave at 80' and beyond. The rest just aren't that bothered/interested and do it as a small matter of convenience. Those are the people worth the derogatory remarks yet everyone springs up here with every excuse under the sun thinking that a snide remark about leaving early is a direct attack on them.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
After reading this thread, I decided to stay and applaud until the last player had left the pitch today before slowly walking to the station.

I got home 40 minutes later than normal but at least I’m not a GUMP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here