Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We have to play two up front.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Our finishing across the whole team is woeful at the moment, however, the strikers have scored 1 league goal between them and it's nearly November.

I know that doesn't help much.

Lol..I don't think anyone can disagree with that..but look how often 2 of them have played ..and how often it's just been the one...the strikers? The system? The midfield (which if we r playing one up front is 5)?

Stumpy Tim

Got to say I'd agree. Personally, I'd go with with Baldock rather than Colunga, but can certainly see a case for Colunga. I regret to say I just can't see a case for CMS any more, except as a last resort. It's a shame, since I like the chap a lot, but he just can't hack it any more.

What I like about Colunga is that technically he's fantastic. His control is brilliant, and with strikers that's half the battle. He's missed a couple, but they all have. I just have more faith he'll hit form - and he does have an excuse of moving to a new country & not speaking the language. I have a feeling that if he was actually played upfront (and not out wide) he'll score goals.

I've always said the same about CMS. I'll excuse missed chances, but a Championship level footballer should at least be able to control a football... unfortunately that's beyond CMS. Lovely chap, works his nuts off, but doesn't have the touch for the top level

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Assuming CMS remains injured and with Baldock cup tied it will be Colunga and O'Grady against Spurs. Bet they're shitting themselves at that prospect.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
What I like about Colunga is that technically he's fantastic. His control is brilliant, and with strikers that's half the battle. He's missed a couple, but they all have. I just have more faith he'll hit form - and he does have an excuse of moving to a new country & not speaking the language. I have a feeling that if he was actually played upfront (and not out wide) he'll score goals.

I've always said the same about CMS. I'll excuse missed chances, but a Championship level footballer should at least be able to control a football... unfortunately that's beyond CMS. Lovely chap, works his nuts off, but doesn't have the touch for the top level

I would love Colunga and Baldock to work. I have Navarro's words ringing in my ears about his old team-mate. Play to his strengths - alongside a big man.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I have serious doubts about SH's current system and how easy it is for fringe players to come in and adapt to it when required.
Need to revert to proper wingers (say Tex and KLL) with two forwards (perm whoever is available), one holding and one attacking midfield (who can alternate), and have 4 defenders whose primary job is to defend.
Keep the goalie for now.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Lol..I don't think anyone can disagree with that..but look how often 2 of them have played ..and how often it's just been the one...the strikers? The system? The midfield (which if we r playing one up front is 5)?

But we are creating enough chances so I don't really see what an extra striker will give us, apart from more defensive nightmares. However, I also agree that none of the stikers we have look particuarly convincing up front on their own.

I'm not sure that 2 up front actually adresses the problem that we have.

#onthefence.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Fenelon scored today - that's right, a striker who puts the ball in the net. Get him in the squad for Saturday.

Stumpy Tim

But we are creating enough chances so I don't really see what an extra striker will give us, apart from more defensive nightmares. However, I also agree that none of the stikers we have look particuarly convincing up front on their own.

#onthefence.

Depends what the second striker does. Under Poyet we had Barnes & Murray up-front with the ball, but Barnes went wide left without the ball. We played possession football in order to isolate our winger, usually Buckley, against the opposition's full-back... Barnes then came in as a second striker... so we played a 4-5-1 without the ball, and 4-4-2 with it. That's the way I would play - with Colunga playing the Barnes role.

Alas, we don't have a Murray or Ulloa to play the target man role. That needs reviewing urgently.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

#onthefence.
We had 3 strikers on the pitch at one point on Sat, but it was a defender who scored. We still only had 3 shots on target.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

#onthefence.

I guess it would be interesting to analyse if possible how many actual chances have been created as against shots from outside the box that are merely attempts on goal..also how many have fallen to the one and on few occasions we have played 2 strikers.
The midfield seem incapable of scoring and if we exclude O Grady the other 3 are midgets which does limit our options if we play one up front ...surely it needs to be given a chance

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We had 3 strikers on the pitch at one point on Sat, but it was a defender who scored. We still only had 3 shots on target.

Let's face it that wasn't down to how many strikers..we were poor for most of the game..I'm not sure u can legislate for that when debating tactics

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
COG and Colunga for me. Then CMS if fit. Then Baldock.

Not a lot to choose between the last two - both weak, neither have great intelligence or a good touch, neither can protect the ball well. CMS at least hassles the opposition into a few errors.

I so, so hope to have all of my negativity about Baldock shoved down my throat, I genuinely do. I just see NOTHING in him.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Don't see anything in any of the strikers ... But I would stick with Baldock playing with COG and leave Spanish Rod 2 on the bench

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
not a fan of 4 4 2
easy to get outnumbered in central midfield
maybe with McCourt in behind as a 4 4 1 1
although that is little different to modern 4 2 3 1 systems
having said that would prefer 4 4 2 to the current system
is it 2 7 1 or 2 5 2 1 either way it's time to stop the strange experiment

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We don't have the players to play only 2 centrally In my opinion, not until Stephens is fit anyway. Before Saturday I was very happy with our performances and the amount of chances being created. I'm not about to panic into changing formation yet, we just need the 2 wide players to play wide....

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
O'Grady is not good enough to play up front alone and CMS, Baldock and Colunga are the wrong type of player . Unless we get a loan in we must play O'Grady and one other. It's the only way to go, with what we have to work with....Although whos to blame for that is another subject altogether.

who would you drop to accommodate the extra striker?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
O'Grady is not good enough to play up front alone and CMS, Baldock and Colunga are the wrong type of player . Unless we get a loan in we must play O'Grady and one other. It's the only way to go, with what we have to work with....Although whos to blame for that is another subject altogether.

I'd been wondering where you were, you've been very quiet through the current slump. Glad to see you're back and at the forefront of the misery as usual.

Pretty poor at the moment, isn't it? Even I'm starting to lose faith, not convinced about Sami at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here