Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We have the worst record for both attacking and defending set pieces this season

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020
As much as I love Gross, which is plenty, I'd like to see Gilmour get a run of games where he's in charge of the set pieces. Even though they didn't result in anything on Sunday, I felt like there were fewer completely fluffed ones and a couple were really classy.

Yes, yes, I know, you can hardly blame Pascal if the guys on the receiving end are running around like headless chickens, but what can it hurt? Maybe Billy is more on the same wavelength as the chickens. Can't really get worse, can it?

Edit: I didn't reload the page for a bit so I missed that you beat me too it @The Fits!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Delivery. 100% delivery. Pace and precision gets it done everyday. Seen enough of Ward-Prowse, TAA to know this to be true. We have decent headers of the ball at the club. Delivery… meh.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Does Pascal have the best record for reaching a teammate because of the number of times he and Solly stand in the corner together and tap it to each other, or is this crosses? Both defending and attacking set pieces need improvement. You do wonder how much time RDZ allows for practising them. Maybe our first tactic should be to give him an hour off a week to go for a smoke.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Delivery. 100% delivery. Pace and precision gets it done everyday. Seen enough of Ward-Prowse, TAA to know this to be true. We have decent headers of the ball at the club. Delivery… meh.
It does. Look at Gilmour's cross the other day for the equaliser. He put real whip on it, the defender doesn't have the thinking time he would have done if that's more of a stand it up into the area type ball.

Most of the goals Liverpool or West Ham or Newcastle get from corners or free kicks is from the second ball anyway. But the point being is that the whip on the ball creates the chaos.

Gilmour gives it a proper ping. This we saw home to Newcastle. He should be on corners. It's Gross i'd want on the edge of the box to fire in a volley if the chance arises.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Cue missed penalty at the weekend!
Nobody scores them all (Well, apart from Toney and Le Tissier pretty much nobody), so i'm sure we'll miss, but Pedro seems to be made of the right stuff. A confident lad I think he'll end up with a very impressive career penalty record

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Does Pascal have the best record for reaching a teammate because of the number of times he and Solly stand in the corner together and tap it to each other, or is this crosses? Both defending and attacking set pieces need improvement. You do wonder how much time RDZ allows for practising them. Maybe our first tactic should be to give him an hour off a week to go for a smoke.

This is what I was thinking. We do seem to take a lot of short corners.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This is what I was thinking. We do seem to take a lot of short corners.

Agreed, Pascal's stats may be scewed by short corners, however he was second only to Kieran Trippier for xAG (Expected Assisted Goals) directly from corners last season. Trippier had an xAG of 4.8, Gross was second on 3.0. So he must be doing something right.

However, the short corners we persist with are in themselves a possible indication of a lack of competent set piece guidance.

Goals following corners made up 13.9% of all the goals scored in the Premier League last season.

But according to Opta only 32.6% of short corners led to a shot from that passage of play, and only 3.3% led to a goal.

Whereas for crosses that came directly into the box from a corner, those figures rise to 38.5% and 4.1%.

So unless the opposition has switched off and failed to cover the short corner, meaning we have a numerical advantage to exploit, why are we bothering with short corners?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Agreed, Pascal's stats may be scewed by short corners, however he was second only to Kieran Trippier for xAG (Expected Assisted Goals) directly from corners last season. Trippier had an xAG of 4.8, Gross was second on 3.0. So he must be doing something right.

However, the short corners we persist with are in themselves a possible indication of a lack of competent set piece guidance.

Goals following corners made up 13.9% of all the goals scored in the Premier League last season.

But according to Opta only 32.6% of short corners led to a shot from that passage of play, and only 3.3% led to a goal.

Whereas for crosses that came directly into the box from a corner, those figures rise to 38.5% and 4.1%.

So unless the opposition has switched off and failed to cover the short corner, meaning we have a numerical advantage to exploit, why are we bothering with short corners?

I guess this doesn't account for the ball going all the way back to the last man/keeper and both teams effectively resetting?

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
I guess this doesn't account for the ball going all the way back to the last man/keeper and both teams effectively resetting?

Why not? If neither a goal nor a shot came from it then it's not as effective as a cross directly into the box, from which a shot and or a goal was created, and should be measured as such.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I beg to differ.

I was at Charlton.
And the FA Cup semi final
I did deliberately say "...in the premier league" .

Anyway this whole thread is really searching for an excuse to handwring. ha ha.

We've scored 70 odd goals in the last 12 months. Who cares. ! *

* i know but come on.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
When does a set piece stop being a set piece and start being open play? After the first header? Flick on plus shot? Rebound? Third or fourth pass on a short corner?

I ask mainly because, although we probably didn't score a set piece goal on Sunday we would not have equalised without the corner that proceeded it.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
When does a set piece stop being a set piece and start being open play? After the first header? Flick on plus shot? Rebound? Third or fourth pass on a short corner?

I ask mainly because, although we probably didn't score a set piece goal on Sunday we would not have equalised without the corner that proceeded it.

This is the Opta definition.

'Set Piece goals/attempts are those where the ball starts from a dead ball situation such as a corner, a free kick, a penalty or a Throw-in and results in a shot before the phase of play has broken down into open play.'

They are refering to the attacking phase of play which continues only as long as the team is actively trying to score. As soon as an opposing player plays the ball, or an attacking player plays a pass that is purely aimed at retaining possession then the phase is over.

Last edited:

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
We don’t just cross corners in for the same reason we don’t just kick goal kicks or free kicks long, because most of the time you lose procession and/or become overly exposed to the counter.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Whipped in with pace, with use of the in-step. Players need a ball they can attack. Not floated, not cut across ( Solly )
We seem to have moved away from the ' heady ' days of Dunk/Duffy/Hemed/Murray when every set piece was greeted with a degree of anticipation. Now, it seems a surprise if we ever get anything. Igor's miss v Athens was the norm. Good ball in, perfectly positioned, mis-timed/mis-directed finish ( and that is being kind )

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Whipped in with pace, with use of the in-step. Players need a ball they can attack. Not floated, not cut across ( Solly )
We seem to have moved away from the ' heady ' days of Dunk/Duffy/Hemed/Murray when every set piece was greeted with a degree of anticipation. Now, it seems a surprise if we ever get anything. Igor's miss v Athens was the norm. Good ball in, perfectly positioned, mis-timed/mis-directed finish ( and that is being kind )
Were those the seasons where we scored 34, and 35 goals - in total in the PL ?
Heady days compared to the goal famine of today where after 6 games we've scored 18 and last season only managed a mere 72.
Where did it all go wrong ?

re: "need a ball they can attack" - nearly every goal we've scored this season has come from pinpoint crosses (March v Wolves x 2 , Mitoma on Sunday, Gilmour on Sunday, Ferguson v Luton, Pedro v United) and Mitoma, Enciso, Estupinan and Gross are some of the best players in the PL to "whip in balls with pace" and then be attacked by some pretty prolific attacking players. Its just it often happens from open play. So what ?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here