Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We don't want another shirt for gawd's sake

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's strange seeing complaints about new shirts and away kits, yet on other threads on Nsc, loads of posts saying how great it is that kids are wearing Brighton shirts and not Prem clubs.
Christmas is coming.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I remember at the start of the season people were moaning that the orange shirt wasn't available to buy. Football fans eh? Never happy.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
So I wonder if those who complain about the club trying to generate cash with this new shirt will also be moaning when we don't spend millions on a new striker.

Folks can moan all they like about the club changing and the commercial nature of the club being alien to them. The thing is you cannot have things both ways and despite Saturday's inept performance, we are spending a lot of cash on players as the loss of 12m proves.

In any case, if you cannot afford the shirt, or don't want to, then don't buy it and quit moaning about the club trying to raise funds.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Be Sold.png

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I missed all this as I went for a slash and a cup of tea at half time. However, from some of the posts it sounds like Paul Barber had the entire match day squad running around the pitch in the new shirt getting knackered at half time instead of having a 15 minute breather and team talk.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I remember at the start of the season people were moaning that the orange shirt wasn't available to buy. Football fans eh? Never happy.

Ah, I can explain this one! "football fans" is not a single entity, but really a name for lots of different people with different opinions. So it is quite possible that "football fans" bemoan a 3rd shirt whereas other "football fans" want to buy it. It just means the group of people have differing opinion.

Mystery solved.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Ah, I can explain this one! "football fans" is not a single entity, but really a name for lots of different people with different opinions. So it is quite possible that "football fans" bemoan a 3rd shirt whereas other "football fans" want to buy it. It just means the group of people have differing opinion.

Mystery solved.

It comes to something when that needs explaining ... which you have done very well by the way

Take the rest of the day off

You might also add that it works well for similar statements made about Barnes, Ticket Prices, Gullys Girls and and and .... just like magic!!

el punal

The club is barely recognisable anymore. It's more of a business than a football club now.

Of course it is. Long gone are the days when you could stroll up to the Goldstone, pays yer money and get in at 2.55. It's now called entertainment. Having said that would we all be carping on if we had won our last three games? No.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
"As a result, we have worked closely with Nike to produce a suitable amount of stock in order to satisfy this demand – not an easy task at fairly short notice – but once again Nike have shown their commitment to the Albion by doing everything in their powers to make this happen.

This is the sort of thing that gets on my tits. Stop feeding us this horseshit, we're not idiots. Nike haven't gone to great lengths to bring us a hand-crafted, one off piece of art in a week. They've ironed on a crest and two Amex logos (which have already been produced) to some teamwear and are going to sell it for a huge profit.

I can understand exactly why the club are making it available, but please, when we're looking at paying £45 for something which likely costs less than £5 to produce, don't go on about how lucky we are to have such wonderful kit suppliers. Errea made pink versions of the home kits, incorporated logos into each shirt, made special edition shirts and actually designed bespoke kits every season for us. That's commitment.

<end of rant>

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The club is barely recognisable anymore. It's more of a business than a football club now.

It's always been a business, as have all other professional football clubs. These days they have to be very well run businesses to survive. And that means selling as much as possible in addition to match tickets. (The cost and quality of what's sold is another issue.)

If you don't like the club's marketing, ignore it. If you don't like the orange shirt, don't buy it. It really is that simple.

If you don't want your club to be a business, support your local pub team.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
It's always been a business, as have all other professional football clubs. These days they have to be very well run businesses to survive. And that means selling as much as possible in addition to match tickets. (The cost and quality of what's sold is another issue.)

If you don't like the club's marketing, ignore it. If you don't like the orange shirt, don't buy it. It really is that simple.

Completely agree with all this however it was the timing on Saturday that caused a fair amount of booing around me.

"The team are crap but don't worry you can have this new massively overpriced piece of tat to make up for it you lucky little people... it has an iron on sponsor you know!"*

*Not RR's actual words but you get the point!

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Completely agree with all this however it was the timing on Saturday that caused a fair amount of booing around me.

"The team are crap but don't worry you can have this new massively overpriced piece of tat to make up for it you lucky little people... it has an iron on sponsor you know!"*

*Not RR's actual words but you get the point!

And the way that it was done - almost like we were getting a freebie.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

That's all very true, but I think what's sticking in most people's craw is that at the moment the club appears to be more interested (and is much better) at marketing and selling the add-on products rather than playing football.

The crucial word in the above sentence is 'appears'. As someone else said, if we'd been top of the league and 3-0 up at the time no one would have batted an eyelid.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

I think this is going to be the problem. Not pub teams, perhaps, but local non league. If those leaving early, not renewing season tickets this year, and general dissatisfaction with value for money (be that entrance, food, drink, programme, whatever) don't come back next year we have a problem. The following season will then see the 5 year renewals for 1901 and that will be a telling time.
Re the orange shirt, I don't have a problem with its issue, I was just a bit disappointed with the marketing aspect of it being scheduled to be worn at the spurs away game - so get your order in NOW! As if there isn't enough financial pressure on those taking kids to White Hart Lane.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
On the day no, of course not. But I am beginning to get concerned about what is called mission drift. A football club exists for one reason and one reason alone - to be successful at football. The clue is in the name. Definitions of success may vary amongst supporters - eg attractive football over winning at all costs, or vice versa.

However, if the people running the club are spending too much time on launching football shirts or sorting out bands to play before the game then maybe the playing side is not getting enough attention. BHAFC is beginning to feel a little too much like a leisure company and not a football club.

More commercial = more money to spend on the squad (better chance of promotion)
Less commercial = less money to spend (and therefore less likely to be successful and to get promoted)

You can't have Less commercial and more money spent on the squad as those who seem to complain about this appear to want. So choose which one you'd prefer!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here