Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are a remarkable club

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I allow that you are starry eyed but keeping Cucurella and BW for just one season wasn’t great. TB is a businessman first football fan second we have to remember that.
We kept Ben White for 4 seasons - and developed him carefully - hence the £50m profit. How would you have proposed we kept Cucurella or Ben btw ? Given that it’s “not great” that we didn’t. And explain more re: TB fan/businessman - given he’s invested £400M or so into the club that he won’t get back. What is the agenda he has that we should be “reminded of” ?

As for being starry eyed. If you can’t be starry eyed this week after thrashing Liverpool 3-0, realising that RDZ is a more exciting/progressive upgrade on Potter, half the planet arguing we are exactly how you should run a model club in terms of development, sales and style of play , and knowing that a win on Saturday takes us into 5th with half the season gone. Then when exactly ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
To do that, we have to keep bringing good players in, and to do that we have to maintain a reputation for not getting in the way of big moves for our players after they've done their time. (note, not ONE season like that big haired twat Cucurella). .

Where I would presumably agree with you is that it is unrealistic to expect to keep finding £5m players and turning them into £50m players. Sometimes we are going to have to reinvest £25-£30m of funds from a single £50m player in order to plug a gap.
Like we did with Pervis when we didn't have a young replacement first team ready :thumbsup:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
To be honest after watching Caceido play for his country when he had just signed for us I was surprised we loaned him out he was ready then. Potter had to admit he didn’t realise how good he was and shouldn’t have loaned him out.
I allow that you are starry eyed but keeping Cucurella and BW for just one season wasn’t great. TB is a businessman first football fan second we have to remember that. We didn’t have a young left back coming through and had to spend £20m to get another so the profit on Cucurella despite his fee was around the £28m mark deducting his fee and the Pervis fee still decent profit.
You can see why the City bid was to low.
As it worked out for Macalister we didn’t replace Biss and had to push Mac further back again no young replacement was ready. It worked out, Mac won the World Cup and will go in the summer.
The conundrum is we will need to replace two world class midfielders and whoever else gets sold which won’t be an easy task.
If TB was a businessman first and football fan second, he'd be a pretty useless businessman to take on the Albion as an investment :lolol:

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
i’m in the thinking that if we establish ourselves as a top 6 club then why would cas and ali mac go…. in europe, surely there putting themselves out there to go to even bigger teams in europe….. at least another season with us, before we expect over £80m each for them but in summer we buy some exciting unknown that end of next season there the replacements….. optimistic i know but rather that than doom and gloom
Because we don't pay anywhere close to the wages of other top EPL sides or the top sides in Italy, France or Spain.

It really doesn't matter that we are a great club with a wonderful owner and superb facilities. And now a top coach too. If you want to retain the best players, you have to pay top wages or the players will walk.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Like we did with Pervis when we didn't have a young replacement first team ready :thumbsup:
Or Cucurella, Mwepu. (both £15M+ signings) , Mitoma and Undav were also different options (mid 20s, non PL experience) as were Welbeck and Lallana. Agreed. The recruitment model is not simply buy a 17 year wunderkid , loan em and hope for the best (although there's plenty of that too).

And plenty that don't work out too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here