Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] WBA Safe Standing proposal turned down...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
maxresdefault.jpg

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
So nothing to do with the decades of hooliganism that precluded that fatal day that gave the powers that be, who were quite rightly hacked off with the neanderthal's following football the excuse they had been looking for.

I think that tragic day wasnt anything to do with hooliganism. I remember watching it and all the inquiries over the last 20 odd years. I could be mistaken though.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
So what if someone’s mates are standing in my space? Or a very tall person is standing in front of a shorty? Or if I like to sit for part of the match but the person in front of me doesn’t?

Anyway, I get back ache after 30 minutes of standing so had to get to the Goldstone early to nab a space where I could lean back on a stanchion

Ps old git alert

So don't get a ticket in the safe standing section. No one is suggesting all the seats are removed just a part of the ground. People just want a choice.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So what if someone’s mates are standing in my space? Or a very tall person is standing in front of a shorty? Or if I like to sit for part of the match but the person in front of me doesn’t?

Anyway, I get back ache after 30 minutes of standing so had to get to the Goldstone early to nab a space where I could lean back on a stanchion

Ps old git alert

Nobody is suggesting the whole stadium would be standing. The Goldstone had seats for those who wanted them.

I find it incredible that even those who watch football are clueless as to what is being asked for. At least Google it, but better still, visit Germany and see what it’s really all about and how it adds to the atmosphere - just like it (standing) used to at our grounds before all seater stadia.

I’m sure that by the time we get standing areas back at our grounds, I’ll need to sit! :shrug:

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think that tragic day wasnt anything to do with hooliganism. I remember watching it and all the inquiries over the last 20 odd years. I could be mistaken though.

You clearly decided not to read what I wrote didn't you? I didn't say Hillsborough was a direct result of hooliganism, but was the excuse needed after decades of hooliganism!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I find it incredible that even those who watch football are clueless as to what is being asked for. At least Google it, but better still, visit Germany and see what it’s really all about and how it adds to the atmosphere - just like it (standing) used to at our grounds before all seater stadia.

Surely, with the majority of the North Stand already upright, then the atmosphere would not change from the present one?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So what you are basically saying is that if I don't want to stand for 90 minutes and sing (I know you haven't mentioned this, but others clearly have on other posts), then I am not allowed to have a behind the goal view, a view I have enjoyed since first watching The Albion in the late 60s.

Yep, I remember those comfy padded seats in the North Stand at the Goldstone too - wonderful, weren't they.............................................

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Yep, I remember those comfy padded seats in the North Stand at the Goldstone too - wonderful, weren't they.............................................

I should think that the majority of those who did stand in the North during the 60s might well appreciate being sedentary nowadays.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
What are you on about... No in those days I stood, because there were no seats. Now I sit as there are legally supplied seats... Simples!

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I have never sat down for any away match.(although because i am an old fart would have quite liked to ! )The government has the horrid memory of the football disasters to consider.I feel a goverment comittee being formed to look into it all coming on ........

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What are you on about... No in those days I stood, because there were no seats. Now I sit as there are legally supplied seats... Simples!

Yes, but the club didn't change the seating/standing arrangements behind the north goal just to suit you, and nor would they have done if we'd stayed at the Goldstone (without the legislation). People who stood at the Goldstone would have mostly moved to a seated area by now, not expected the club to have changed everything for them. You are just lucky to have been born at a particular time, so that the changes benefitted you.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I should think that the majority of those who did stand in the North during the 60s might well appreciate being sedentary nowadays.

True, and if things had remained the same, they'd have moved to somewhere in the \West Stand by now - freedom of choice and all that. Those that were lucky enough to still be able to stand would do so, if they wished.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thanks, I am 58 and more than capable of standing for 90 minutes, however the law says I should sit, so sit I do...
Just to be accurate there is no law that makes you sit.

It would be completely unforceable.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Just to be accurate there is no law that makes you sit.

It would be completely unforceable.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Correct it is not a law to stand, but is in contravention of football league regulations - ‘Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress. Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the ground’.

As you quite rightly point out it is unenforceable because of the sheer numbers that do it? Does that make it right though?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes, but the club didn't change the seating/standing arrangements behind the north goal just to suit you, and nor would they have done if we'd stayed at the Goldstone (without the legislation). People who stood at the Goldstone would have mostly moved to a seated area by now, not expected the club to have changed everything for them. You are just lucky to have been born at a particular time, so that the changes benefitted you.

You too have missed my point. I like being behind the goal, because I like the view it offers, particularly when we are attacking the North.

The regulations insist all seater stadia, so I sit in a seat behind the North goal - you are suggesting now that I be precluded from that because I choose to follow the regulations as laid out, just to appease the clearly vocal minority!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here