Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wayne Rooney’s Derby County

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I get the sentiment but that would have meant we wouldn’t have been allowed to go to Gillingham and Withdean. The Albion would have folded when the Goldstone was sold.

Well, obviously we would have other rules that prevent an owner from flogging off a stadium and leaving a club homeless (laws that now exists as far as I'm aware).

I was also going to add something about allowing a council to own a stadium, provided there is an arrangement ('article of associaton'?) that commits the stadium's use as 'primarily for association football'.

Obviously we don't want arrangements to be so generous they would allow a club to declare itself bankrupt, pay off its debters at 10p in the pound, then reconstitute itself as 'CPFC-10' or somesuch. Oh, hang on....

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Am I right in thinking that the issue with the ground is a direct result of the shady dealings that got Derby into this mess in the first place? The owner bought the ground for way over its worth as a way round FFP, and now trying to sell it , he will only get its actual worth rather than the £80 Million he "bought" it for leaving him with a huge loss.

I have no sympathy with the previous owner or the admin at the club that allowed this to happen, but for the employees, players, and the actual fans its horrible.

With the sale of the club falling through at this late stage, and some of the other parties saying their investors have gone elsewhere as it was a done deal, things look very bleak for Derby.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Am I right in thinking that the issue with the ground is a direct result of the shady dealings that got Derby into this mess in the first place? The owner bought the ground for way over its worth as a way round FFP, and now trying to sell it , he will only get its actual worth rather than the £80 Million he "bought" it for leaving him with a huge loss.

I have no sympathy with the previous owner or the admin at the club that allowed this to happen, but for the employees, players, and the actual fans its horrible.

With the sale of the club falling through at this late stage, and some of the other parties saying their investors have gone elsewhere as it was a done deal, things look very bleak for Derby.

Yes you’re right. And worst of all the ground was already paid off by then by the previous owners. So Mel Morris pocketed that money for something that was never ‘his’ - suggestions are he appointed the administrators and despite being friendly with Mike Ashley, behind the scenes he doesn’t want him to take control.

It appears there are some credible bids back, including local consortium who are willing to provide funding for the season while a long term owner is sorted. I think Derby will be ok but it’s horrible for fans and likely another 15 point deduction once a sale goes through.

The administrators (who Simon Jordan credited as ‘good operators’ !!!) have royally ballsed this up. Ignored all other bidders since Christmas and pinned all their hopes and known tyre kicker Kirchner. Negligent as f*ck

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Word is that the stadium either has been or is to be purchased by a third party, David Clowes is oft mentioned as the person involved.

Oh f*** knows the! It's hard to think they would be a help but something's got to change. I do fear that we'll end up with Ashley - I was once supportive about that particular scenario but digging deeper in to Newcastle fan's reaction and being an occasional visitor to the depressing experience that is Sports Direct Porthmadog has tainted my thinking.

Oh for a normal summer of "the new kit is gash' and 'are we going to sign Rowan Vine?'

I think it will all be ok in the end... sure, might Ashley. But someone will buy the club. Not too different situation from Bolton a few years ago and they were allowed to start the season in administration before being taken over in late August or early September. Plenty of time. But obviously you can expect another relegation battle.

Trevor Birch getting involved can only be good. Swansea hired him as their CEO with a couple of months left of their Potter-season and he communicated well, put the right people in the right places, the owners stopped trying to sell all their best players for £1m. Hard to know how much is down to him but if you look at his career he seems a bit like Harvey Keitels character in Pulp Fiction. Moves in, gets shit done, moves on.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Good luck.

The stress on the supporters shouldn’t be underestimated either….

Cheers - You're spot on - I'm somewhat shielded from it as I don't live in Derby or surrounds so I'm not constantly hearing about it in the paper, on the radio or just chatting at work or whatever. People are clearly stressed about the situation, it has a profound affect on the city, the two are intertwined so I feel for people there. While I go to some games, it's not part of my 'routine', I recall when when I was young and living there, it's what you did on a Saturday, went round to Mike Baker's place, had stew for lunch, went to the match, came home, I feel for people who fear that may be removed.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Isn't the ownershop of the ground one of the major problems? If so, can't the council just slap a (low) compulsory purchase order on it and return it to the club?

Worried for [MENTION=12706]mikeyjh[/MENTION]

Difficult to see how this will go, particularly as the EFL have now got involved - can’t decide if that is a help or hinderance

I think it will all be ok in the end... sure, might Ashley. But someone will buy the club. Not too different situation from Bolton a few years ago and they were allowed to start the season in administration before being taken over in late August or early September. Plenty of time. But obviously you can expect another relegation battle.

Trevor Birch getting involved can only be good. Swansea hired him as their CEO with a couple of months left of their Potter-season and he communicated well, put the right people in the right places, the owners stopped trying to sell all their best players for £1m. Hard to know how much is down to him but if you look at his career he seems a bit like Harvey Keitels character in Pulp Fiction. Moves in, gets shit done, moves on.

I'm not so convinced about Trevor Birch, when he was at Derby, he fell out with the then manager, left after 3 months having done naff all. Awesome, great job :)

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
An aside, Rooney has been really impressive during all of this INHO. Reckon he’ll go on to be a very good manager which I wouldn’t have bet on when he was a player.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Is he more fan or more property developer?

with a reported net worth of £252m, I think a subsidiary company recently purchased the ground from Mel Morris and considering he has not come forward before, I would suggest 1st and foremost he is a property developer with a passing interest in the club.

I actually hope it works out for Derby this time.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Any time a property developer starts sniffing around a football club at any level, supporters groups should waste no time in registering the club's ground as an Asset of Community Value. The property developer may well be coming on board with the best of motives, but why take the risk eh?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Is he more fan or more property developer?

with a reported net worth of £252m, I think a subsidiary company recently purchased the ground from Mel Morris and considering he has not come forward before, I would suggest 1st and foremost he is a property developer with a passing interest in the club.

I actually hope it works out for Derby this time.

He's actually a lifelong STH, goes home and away - But yes, obviously has a property development company. I think most people, regardless of wealth, would think long and hard before buying the club they are a fan of (even Bloom was a quite late to the new stadium party right?) and who could blame looking how it ends up for many. Oh, and cheers :cheers:

Any time a property developer starts sniffing around a football club at any level, supporters groups should waste no time in registering the club's ground as an Asset of Community Value. The property developer may well be coming on board with the best of motives, but why take the risk eh?

Was made such in 2014, along with the academy and training ground.:thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He's actually a lifelong STH, goes home and away - But yes, obviously has a property development company. I think most people, regardless of wealth, would think long and hard before buying the club they are a fan of (even Bloom was a quite late to the new stadium party right?) and who could blame looking how it ends up for many. Oh, and cheers :cheers:

Was made such in 2014, along with the academy and training ground.:thumbsup:

Good news! Cheers, never knew that :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here