Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wayne Rooney’s Derby County

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
My brother in law is a Derby County supporter, and is fairly salty about our burgeoning success, so kind of happy to see them flail around for a while. That being said, they are a decent provincial club with a great fan base so I hope their ownership issues are resolved soon

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
much as i am happy to see Derby fall down the leagues, the last thing wanted is for the club to have to fold and go out of business. So many clubs have been shafted by their owners over the years, and it would be a very sad day if Derby joins that list through financial mismanagement

As with all clubs there are some dickhead fans, but I'm sure the majority are fans like the rest of us, normal decent people who just want their club to do well.

It appears that Rooney has paid the clubs wage bill for May (possibly April),

If , as appears more and more likley, the proposed new owners havent got the money, things look very dark for Derby, its very late in the day for new owners to come in and enable the club to continue next season. It would be a sad day for football if Derby go under

Indeed. And in these situations there's always the employees as well.

I had a internet friend, Torbjörn, who was cheering for Åtvidabergs FF all his life. He made fan sites, was heavily involved in the supporters club, always went to all home and away games even when they were in the 4th division (which is not comparable with the English 4th division). He found himself a woman and had a kid but overall life was difficult for him, he had some diagnosis and another. But when Åtvidaberg reached Allsvenskan, they hired him to run their website and life was lovely for him.

Few years later, they get relegated and can't have any employees besides player/coaches so they sack him, which makes him miserable though he continues to go to games despite hating the board and those who run the economy in the club. But not much later, when it is obvious they will get relegated to the 3rd tier and equally obvious Torbjörn regardless of what won't get his job back, he kills himself.

Employeers are real people too. In a lot of cases they will also be fans of the clubs, more so than most players, and getting sacked under those circumstances is probably really really rough a lot of times.

I hope Derby makes it somehow. Its fun when it goes a bit bad for some clubs but this kind of crisis is not the same thing.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Indeed. And in these situations there's always the employees as well.

I had a internet friend, Torbjörn, who was cheering for Åtvidabergs FF all his life. He made fan sites, was heavily involved in the supporters club, always went to all home and away games even when they were in the 4th division (which is not comparable with the English 4th division). He found himself a woman and had a kid but overall life was difficult for him, he had some diagnosis and another. But when Åtvidaberg reached Allsvenskan, they hired him to run their website and life was lovely for him.

Few years later, they get relegated and can't have any employees besides player/coaches so they sack him, which makes him miserable though he continues to go to games despite hating the board and those who run the economy in the club. But not much later, when it is obvious they will get relegated to the 3rd tier and equally obvious Torbjörn regardless of what won't get his job back, he kills himself.

Employeers are real people too. In a lot of cases they will also be fans of the clubs, more so than most players, and getting sacked under those circumstances is probably really really rough a lot of times.

I hope Derby makes it somehow. Its fun when it goes a bit bad for some clubs but this kind of crisis is not the same thing.

That story really didn’t go the way I thought it would. Bloody hell.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The 5pm deadline given to complete the sale of Derby has now passed and no announcement made. Apparently Derby only have 5 players under contract for next season (derbytelegraph) and Liam Rosenior is the new manager of Blackpool according to another thread on NSC.

Derby very much on borrowed time it appears-

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Isn't the ownershop of the ground one of the major problems? If so, can't the council just slap a (low) compulsory purchase order on it and return it to the club?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I understand present owner of Derby County owns the ground and it is not included in any sale by administrators, He wants to sell or lease to the new buyers which will not be easy as I think he paid club £80m for it. How do you sort that out.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I understand present owner of Derby County owns the ground and it is not included in any sale by administrators, He wants to sell or lease to the new buyers which will not be easy as I think he paid club £80m for it. How do you sort that out.

Two deals - one for the club at £25m and one for the stadium circa £28m. But their problem is that the club is not worth that much, they are in League One with very few assets at all, trading mostly on their history and potential rather than anything immediate

Someone, probably Mike Ashley, will swoop in last second and steal it, after some serious discounting on administration fees.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Isn't the ownershop of the ground one of the major problems? If so, can't the council just slap a (low) compulsory purchase order on it and return it to the club?

Football authorities should make it a rule the the owners of the club must be the owners of the stadium (tiers 1-5).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Worried for [MENTION=12706]mikeyjh[/MENTION]

Difficult to see how this will go, particularly as the EFL have now got involved - can’t decide if that is a help or hinderance

I think you know the answer....

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Our local football finance expert has scathing criticism for the failed buyer and the administrator in this week's podcast.

It really is a disgrace that this has been allowed to get to this desperate situation

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Word is that the stadium either has been or is to be purchased by a third party, David Clowes is oft mentioned as the person involved.

Worried for [MENTION=12706]mikeyjh[/MENTION]

Difficult to see how this will go, particularly as the EFL have now got involved - can’t decide if that is a help or hinderance

Oh f*** knows the! It's hard to think they would be a help but something's got to change. I do fear that we'll end up with Ashley - I was once supportive about that particular scenario but digging deeper in to Newcastle fan's reaction and being an occasional visitor to the depressing experience that is Sports Direct Porthmadog has tainted my thinking.

Oh for a normal summer of "the new kit is gash' and 'are we going to sign Rowan Vine?'

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Word is that the stadium either has been or is to be purchased by a third party, David Clowes is oft mentioned as the person involved.
Oh f*** knows the! It's hard to think they would be a help but something's got to change. I do fear that we'll end up with Ashley - I was once supportive about that particular scenario but digging deeper in to Newcastle fan's reaction and being an occasional visitor to the depressing experience that is Sports Direct Porthmadog has tainted my thinking.

Oh for a normal summer of "the new kit is gash' and 'are we going to sign Rowan Vine?'

Good luck.

The stress on the supporters shouldn’t be underestimated either….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here