Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wayne Rooney to make England comeback

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some of us may have thought this match was a meaningless friendly in a meaningless and unnecessary international break.

Now we know it.

Harmless fun, though.

:facepalm:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A goodbye for what? Our renaissance has coincided with the removal of the Rooney circus. The England team have nothing to gain and everything to lose from this, it is the exact opposite of what Southgate is trying to achieve.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And SSN have just announced that a largish majority of their viewers think it's a smashing idea.

:facepalm:

Didn't realise that Sunday night was prat's night on SSN..........................

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Lots of things are harmless fun ..................................................... but not worth having an international break for!
There are 2 matches in the international break. The other one is the nations league match vs Croatia, where England either get to the finals, finish mid table, or get relegated !

Besides, international breaks are not just about England.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There are 2 matches in the international break. The other one is the nations league match vs Croatia, where England either get to the finals, finish mid table, or get relegated !

Besides, international breaks are not just about England.

So, a meaningless friendly against USA and Croatia. Whoop de doo.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'm glad Rooney gets to play once more. He's been a fantastic player for England for 15 years, why shouldn't he get an appropriate sign off? He's one of the best players this country has ever produced. He peaked at 26 having already been a first team player for 10 years at the time but he was still significantly better than the majority of players he was playing with. Only when Kane came of age did we have a better striker in better form.

All of that being said, the International break is a total waste of everyone's time. Mug it off, and let's have some proper football that weekend instead.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Win against the US with a full team - People will say "Meh, its only the US. Means nothing. We could have played championship players and won. The players gain nothing from this"

Let Rooney have one final run out - People complain the full team aren't getting further game time and it's holding back their development.

The Nations League is, in my opinion, BRILLIANT and a wonderful breath of fresh. This friendly seems a good chance to see off the record goal scorer and raise some moolah for charidee.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Nations League is, in my opinion, BRILLIANT and a wonderful breath of fresh air

Its given more "edge" to the games, for sure.

However, there is a large downside. Looking ahead to next year when the proper Euro qualifiers start, there are going to be 4 teams taking part in them who have already qualified. That means that for the entire campaign, every qualifying game they play will be a meaningless dead rubber to them, but a full-on Euro qualifier for the opposition. So one team will be desperately trying to win, whilst the other will be treating it like a friendly.

Thats a bit shit, isn't it. In fact I'd say its fundamentally flawed, and will warp the qualification process.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Rooney is England's top ever goal scorer. I have absolutely no issue him playing a farewell game to raise money for his charity.

Besides, our young side might learn a thing or two from him.

Completely agree, IF, it was a farewell Charity Game, and not a FULL INTERNATIONAL. If it's a Charity game, fine play it like that, with that lad from The Royle Family, and Robbie Williams mate having a game, but you don't finish the evening with Ben Shepherd having an England Cap. It's a nonsense.

We've moved on from him. The last couple of years of him we were stifling the development of the side because we had to crowbar him in for whatever role we felt he might be half useful. Having now moved on, and welcomed this new dawn we go back and have one last Rooney sideshow, and a young striker miss out on a chance to deliver at that level. I'd much rather see that lad at Bournemouth get a run out.

Complete farce. Whatever next, will we start sticking KIt Napier on the bench to bring on for the last few minutes until he gets his 100th Albion goal.

Self-indulgent to an unbelievable degree.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Its given more "edge" to the games, for sure.

However, there is a large downside. Looking ahead to next year when the proper Euro qualifiers start, there are going to be 4 teams taking part in them who have already qualified. That means that for the entire campaign, every qualifying game they play will be a meaningless dead rubber to them, but a full-on Euro qualifier for the opposition. So one team will be desperately trying to win, whilst the other will be treating it like a friendly.

Thats a bit shit, isn't it. In fact I'd say its fundamentally flawed, and will warp the qualification process.

Is that what happens then? I assumed that the qualification through the Nations League would be done before the Euro Qualifiers start, so those teams who have qualified don't play in them, and just play friendlies until the tournament comes round. So while you have avoided meaningless friendlies, your reward for qualifying via this route is ..... 18 months of meaningless friendlies rather than a qualifying campaign.

But maybe you are right, as the draw for the qualifiers is normally about now to give all the FA's time to arrange the fixtures, and I don't know when the Nations League finishes.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Win against the US with a full team - People will say "Meh, its only the US. Means nothing. We could have played championship players and won. The players gain nothing from this"

Let Rooney have one final run out - People complain the full team aren't getting further game time and it's holding back their development.

But are these the SAME people? I don't know anyone who would be in both camps.

The first one, is just that moany git, who tbh,.doesn't like International Football, and has no time for it, until the tournament comes round. But even then always predicts we'll lose the next game. In summary, they don't care for the England team much.

Whereas the second one is the rest of us, who want England to do well, and can see that we struggle to build a chemistry within a group of players that rarely get time together. We WANT England to do well, and are a bit mystified that teh FA don't tomore to help the progression of the National side.

To look for a situation where no-one moans is just impossible, as we saw with Ben on 606 this week. There's one in every village.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Completely agree, IF, it was a farewell Charity Game, and not a FULL INTERNATIONAL. If it's a Charity game, fine play it like that, with that lad from The Royle Family, and Robbie Williams mate having a game, but you don't finish the evening with Ben Shepherd having an England Cap. It's a nonsense.

We've moved on from him. The last couple of years of him we were stifling the development of the side because we had to crowbar him in for whatever role we felt he might be half useful. Having now moved on, and welcomed this new dawn we go back and have one last Rooney sideshow, and a young striker miss out on a chance to deliver at that level. I'd much rather see that lad at Bournemouth get a run out.

Complete farce. Whatever next, will we start sticking KIt Napier on the bench to bring on for the last few minutes until he gets his 100th Albion goal.

Callum Wilson?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Is that what happens then? I assumed that the qualification through the Nations League would be done before the Euro Qualifiers start, so those teams who have qualified don't play in them, and just play friendlies until the tournament comes round. So while you have avoided meaningless friendlies, your reward for qualifying via this route is ..... 18 months of meaningless friendlies rather than a qualifying campaign.

But maybe you are right, as the draw for the qualifiers is normally about now to give all the FA's time to arrange the fixtures, and I don't know when the Nations League finishes.

Yup. The 4 teams that win through to the Finals via the Nations League playoffs (following this current group campaign), will still be "competing" in the proper Euro Qualifiers group stages that start next year. If they then "re-qualify" again via that, then their qualification place will be passed to the next best team who hadn't already qualified via the Nations League.

What a mess.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
No he isn't, he's scoring goals in a League where Bradley Wright-Phillips is a goal scoring sensation. That doesn't class as "in form".

Form is form, it doesn't matter where it is. The standard of opposition is certainly relevant, but form is form.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd much rather see that lad at Bournemouth get a run out.

Completely agree with you. Either Rooney is the best option for the squad going forward or he isn't picked.

Callum Wilson is currently the inform England striker yet to be capped that has potential to play in future squads. For him not to be included at the expense of some grand gesture that could easily be done with a presentation on the pitch is just a farce. Really disappointed in Southgate allowing this to happen. He's made some bold decisions in his tenure so far, but this isn't one of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here