Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Way too negative?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We've been through all this before and the stats have shown that the extra midfielder has been successful far more often than not to see out the game. I think - especially once they were down to ten men - that we could have kept attacking in this one and it seemed a shift in attitude from the start of the season where we actively wanted to grind teams into the dust following last season's experience. The idea that we are 'way too negative' though is just wrong. He plays the percentages and mostly gets it bang on.

Spot on. We've lost seven in our last Championship 58 games. Of the remainder, we've won far more than drawn. Yes, today we sat deep in the last 15 minutes or so, having replaced Baldock with Stephens, and yes, it didn't work out. But CH has done that often, and more often than not, things turn out all right.
If fingers need pointing today, it's conceding two very poor goals (each of which had multiple culprits), and only getting three shots on target out of 22 chances.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
To be fair whilst they were shite we were not much better in first half , players not taking responsibility and one too many pass rather than go for it. the issue is why we could not play the first half like we did in the second. Also there sub (the blond guy) made all the difference and had he been on from the start then we would have struggled.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Anyone else feel Hughtons tactics are way too negative when we have a narrow lead? He always seems to invite pressure onto us when we are comfortable and could easily go on to score more goals.

No. Next question.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Spot on. We've lost seven in our last Championship 58 games. Of the remainder, we've won far more than drawn. Yes, today we sat deep in the last 15 minutes or so, having replaced Baldock with Stephens, and yes, it didn't work out. But CH has done that often, and more often than not, things turn out all right.
If fingers need pointing today, it's conceding two very poor goals (each of which had multiple culprits), and only getting three shots on target out of 22 chances.

When he withdraws a forward and basically gives out the impression we have what we hold I'd rather he brought n another centre half. You know the aerial bombardment comes. Everyone does it. If Hughton could have seen it against Burnley last season we would be in the premier league now. Same today.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Should do better dominating the game image.jpg

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
This was 2 points dropped against a poor side. Imho Baldock was mom of the match, Stephens should have replaced Norwood. If Stephens had replaced Norwood it believe we could have gone and scored a couple more goals.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It takes one to spot one.

Oh, and I totally agree with you.

I guess we are all half/whole wits in our own way. My take on it is the abject pessimism of a game we should have won but didn't and we move on. Tonight isn't the end of my world and I never try to talk 'manager' like so many on here, that is all.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I guess we are all half/whole wits in our own way. My take on it is the abject pessimism of a game we should have won but didn't and we move on. Tonight isn't the end of my world and I never try to talk 'manager' like so many on here, that is all.

I agree. I actually thought our 2nd half performance was very promising. I thought the biggest mistake we made was most of the ground emptying out before the final goal. The team started playing like we'd wrapped up the game, and so did the fans. That is all.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Disagree. They were shite because we made them look so when had the ball. Johnson was possibly MOM, god knows why Grayson took him off. I thought they were tidy with the ball but lacked cutting edge.

I think Johnson is a very tidy player. Saw him playing for Villa. He's not strong enough but rarely gives the ball away.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My major observatjion was that we were comfortably pushing their defence back and stopping them starting attacks. We took off Baldock and Murray had nobody to give the ball to and so their defence were able to hold him and push their front men forward. A very poor and costly unnecessary substitution.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
When he withdraws a forward and basically gives out the impression we have what we hold I'd rather he brought n another centre half. You know the aerial bombardment comes. Everyone does it. If Hughton could have seen it against Burnley last season we would be in the premier league now. Same today.

That's not a bad point at all. I can remember making the same point after one game last season (it wasn't Burnley). Even more so, it does make you wonder if Goldson was on the pitch, he may well have done better than Bruno and Duffy did for their goal.
I also wonder whether CH might have made at least one other substitution. Murphy gave the ball away poorly for that goal. He does put in a real shift, and yesterday was no exception, so that poor ball might have been down to tiredness.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Made me chuckle (in a sad, "I am not in a good mood" kind of way) in the train queue yesterday when I heard 3 different people say "Hughton always makes defensive changes when we are 1 goal up and it costs us - it happened loads last year as well".

What about the 18 (Eighteen) times we won by a single goal last year, most of which (not all I know, there were a couple of late winners) Hughton made a defensive change to hold onto?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Do you not think, that maybe (and I realise you can't prove a negative) that Hughton's defensive changes might have actually helped us to close many of the tight wins we had last year, and that we could have gained as many points through this tactic as we lost?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Do you not think, that maybe (and I realise you can't prove a negative) that Hughton's defensive changes might have actually helped us to close many of the tight wins we had last year, and that we could have gained as many points through this tactic as we lost?

I absolutely see your point but we find ourselves hanging on because of his negativity in his earlier substitutions. Preston should have been put to the sword by us being more positive earlier. It's not just the one last substitute he makes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here