Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Water Softeners & Eczema

Jul 7, 2003
With the hard water here on the coast, I've thought about this for a while because of the impact on appliances etc. More recently, I have started to get eczema in my ears but noticed while I was away that it wasn't a problem. Seems like hard water has been proven to inflame skin conditions like eczema.

Has anyone on here installed a water softening system and if so, any recommendations about which type or installers?

Thanks

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
This is going to sound quite odd but how long has your ear eczema been going on for? Over the last few weeks my ears have not stopped itching even inside. I haven't used anything new and I can't think what's started it, I've never had eczema before.

Jul 7, 2003
This is going to sound quite odd but how long has your ear eczema been going on for? Over the last few weeks my ears have not stopped itching even inside. I haven't used anything new and I can't think what's started it, I've never had eczema before.
Started about four years ago as them being itchy inside and then got worse. I use Doublebase Flare Relief to control it but having spent two weeks away, it was really noticeable that they were not as irritated as they are when I'm at home.

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
B and W warter softener are one of the best I’ve had one for about 4 years, takes salt tablets for the brine wash ( which doesn’t soften the water ) which you can buy on Amazon or bookers cash and Carry, you will notice the difference within 2 weeks you’ll use less of all washing products, hope this helps

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
When we moved to West Dorset - another very hard water area - I researched water softeners as we needed something for our commercial coffee machine used in our cafe.

I was unimpressed with the cost; size; and non eco nature of chemical solutions and found Aquabion. Was sceptical that it would work but the cost (£500 including installation) was not high so it seemed worth a punt.

Aquabion is not a pure softener; instead it adopts of method, effectively, of converting calcium carbonate into zinc carbonate, which is softer and is easily removed from kettles and pans. Running costs are zero.

And it works; the coffee machine engineer was staggered when he saw how little scale there was in the machine. He even said to reduce the frequency of his maintenance visits. Shower heads have not been descaled in four years; a simple brush every now and then does trick; kettles scale but a stiff brush removes nearly all of it (Aquabion reckon 95% reduction). We have not descaled a kettle in four years.

TBH, I have no idea why these are not fitted in every household.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
With the hard water here on the coast, I've thought about this for a while because of the impact on appliances etc. More recently, I have started to get eczema in my ears but noticed while I was away that it wasn't a problem. Seems like hard water has been proven to inflame skin conditions like eczema.

Has anyone on here installed a water softening system and if so, any recommendations about which type or installers?

Thanks
Interesting thread.

Similar problem to yourself plus my son suffers from dry skin and other dermatological complaints. The supplier told me they had to be very careful around the research and what was claimed around the benefits, so couldn’t categorically say it was beneficial. We didn’t proceed, because of other potential risks around blood pressure etc..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here