[Brighton] Watches

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Garmin Forerunner 235 for me.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
I was asked to race a car at LeMans a few years back. Mike ( RIP) my co driver and I got a top ten finish and won the index - cue prize giving, massive trophy and a Patek . . . . JR the car owner gave all the trophys etc to the car preparers workshop and saids he'd sell the watch to pay for the race . . . . . I couldn't argue, it was a fantastic gift/opportunity to have raced there.

I had to use a pair of mole grips to lever my fingers open on my other hand and give it back :rolleyes: I'm sure it was lower end of their market, but still very nice.

I totally agree about the soul of a mechanical watch, even an old Timex wind up!

View attachment 129174

What a story! And what an awesome watch. A Patek with that kind of unique provenance appreciates to an absurd degree. The rarity gives it special value.

The financial side of it doesn't interest me that much mind, I know they are a great investment long term, but I like watches as works of craftsmanship, and I don't buy for investment purposes. My Universal, which I bought for just £400 is one of my favourites, largely because no-one has ever heard of them. But back in the day, they were the creme de la creme, worn by two US Presidents. In fact there is a story (don't know if it is true or not) that Goering gave his jailer, an American officer, his Universal Tri Max on the day before he died in exchange for the cyanide he used to commit suicide. We'll probably never know, but in any event the Universal ended up in that officer's family. Mine is almost seventy years old, yet is accurate to (give or take it varies) five seconds a day, and has never given me a moments problem in more than a decade. The craftsmanship was actually better then that it is now.

Speaking of Pateks my brother in law has one, as does his wife, my wife's sister. He's a billy big bollocks lawyer. Slaughter and May Partner, ya de ya. A right ****, if you want to know the truth. I don't care about the mansion with thirty acres in Kent, but his watch really pisses me off. The envy burns, although I would never let him know. I would kill for a Patek, but I just can't justify the expense. And he doesn't even appreciate it, it was bought for show, as a piece of conspicuous consumption to show how rich and successful he is, but he never wears it. Keeps it in his safe. Totally stupid because watches have to be wound, or the oils inside degrade. And it is not as though Pateks are cheap to service!

But he doesn't care about that of course. The best watches belong to the worst people. But ain't that the way of the world? :D

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
One of the few remaining independent Swiss makers that haven’t been brought out by Swatch.

I like the independence of the firm which is why Bremont is also on the radar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it is depressing. It tarnishes Omega to be honest. Longines too. Swatch is the devil incarnate.

Even my Portofino doesn't have an in house movement. It is a Sellita, ETA clone, jazzed up to IWC specifications.

Still a fantastic watch, superbly finished, but it does diminish its grandeur.

IWC are transitioning back to only offering in house movements so they tell me, which is great, but only means one thing. A huge hike in prices at the entry level to the brand.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
What a story! And what an awesome watch. A Patek with that kind of unique provenance appreciates to an absurd degree. The rarity gives it special value.

The financial side of it doesn't interest me that much mind, I know they are a great investment long term, but I like watches as works of craftsmanship, and I don't buy for investment purposes. My Universal, which I bought for just £400 is one of my favourites, largely because no-one has ever heard of them. But back in the day, they were the creme de la creme, worn by two US Presidents. In fact there is a story (don't know if it is true or not) that Goering gave his jailer, an American officer, his Universal Tri Max on the day before he died in exchange for the cyanide he used to commit suicide. We'll probably never know, but in any event the Universal ended up in that officer's family. Mine is almost seventy years old, yet is accurate to (give or take it varies) five seconds a day, and has never given me a moments problem in more than a decade. The craftsmanship was actually better then that it is now.

Speaking of Pateks my brother in law has one, as does his wife, my wife's sister. He's a billy big bollocks lawyer. Slaughter and May Partner, ya de ya. A right ****, if you want to know the truth. I don't care about the mansion with thirty acres in Kent, but his watch really pisses me off. The envy burns, although I would never let him know. I would kill for a Patek, but I just can't justify the expense. And he doesn't even appreciate it, it was bought for show, as a piece of conspicuous consumption to show how rich and successful he is, but he never wears it. Keeps it in his safe. Totally stupid because watches have to be wound, or the oils inside degrade. And it is not as though Pateks are cheap to service!

But he doesn't care about that of course. The best watches belong to the worst people. But ain't that the way of the world? :D

One of our directors as a Hublot Big Bang, not because he has any interest it’s just one of the guys below him has a cheaper model!

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Love watches , started off with a couple of older Omegas and a couple of years ago upgrade to a Rolex datejust 2012 model , black dial with steel strap , auto . One previous owner . Costs me just over £2,800 from a London dealer but so worth it. I love it , the feel of it , the way it sits on my wrist etc

You managed to get a Rolex Datejust 2 years ago for £2800?!...

Where was this? That’s about 200% cheaper than the normal price!

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Spoke to a company in Chichester about the Tudor Bay Brown, they said it'd take 12-18 months to get one so I put my name on the waiting list and got a call two weeks later, wasn't impressed as they'd spoken about how rare they were, so did my homework and lots of stores had them and would discount!

Yes the Tudor Bay Brown is an easy model to get hold of, the only Tudor with an extensive waiting list at the moment is the new Blue Bay 58 although you can pick one up for approx £800-£1000 above RRP from Watchfinder, Watches.co.uk etc. The GMT also had a waiting list until recently but can now be purchased at RRP from WOS.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I have a few watches my favourite is my Omega Seamaster Master Chronometer Planet Ocean it's my every day watch it's comfortable unbalivably acurate for a mechanical watch plus it's Lovley looking without being flash

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Wife bought me an Omega Chronostop for my 40th, it was 40 years old then, and now it’s coming up to being 55 years old. It’s an old fashioned wind up watch, nice sweeping second hand with a stopwatch button. It loses time, is a pain in the arse when you need to fast forward the date, the case is stainless steel, and scratched, the lens is polycarbonate which scratches just by looking at it, and it’s not waterproof. I wear it every day except summer holidays when I swap it for a waterproof TAG-alike Sekonda.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
You managed to get a Rolex Datejust 2 years ago for £2800?!...

Where was this? That’s about 200% cheaper than the normal price!

I bought my Explorer 1 about 6 years ago from Chrono24 for about £2400. Just before Rolex put up there prices hugely and do most years. Now selling for £5000 approx at watchfinder.
I wear my Tag I bought 26 years ago most days. I also have a Zenith Ultra Thin.

I just like nice things.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
They're jewelery. Anyone who says otherwise it's just kidding themselves.

Nothing wrong with that but all the "water resistant to 1000m" stuff and calling them a Sky Emperor or something is just nonsense.

It's a bracelet that tells the time.

See WankersWatch Twitter account :lolol:

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
ooh love a good watch

Currently have two Breitlings.

Super Ocean for daily use and the yellow faced Avenger Seawolf for the weekends.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
I have a few watches my favourite is my Omega Seamaster Master Chronometer Planet Ocean it's my every day watch it's comfortable unbalivably acurate for a mechanical watch plus it's Lovley looking without being flash

That is a seriously good watch and you have great taste IMO..

You are right it is wonderfully understated and I would have that over a Submariner any day of the week.

But then you are either a Rolex fanboy or you aren't, I suppose.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Great watch

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
One of our directors as a Hublot Big Bang, not because he has any interest it’s just one of the guys below him has a cheaper model!

Not a fan of Hublot for exactly that reason. They are flashy and meretricious, and not rated by serious watch enthusiasts as they are WAY over priced. If you have to get one do it second hand as they depreciate seriously once outside the showroom, like a new car leaving the forecourt.

The Big Bang is a complete rip off of the Audemars Royal Oak anyway. If you going for a watch like that (I never would) get the icon, not the pale imitation.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That is a seriously good watch and you have great taste IMO..

You are right it is wonderfully understated and I would have that over a Submariner any day of the week.

But then you are either a Rolex fanboy or you aren't, I suppose.

Very nice. Wore a big seamaster chrono for a few years, but lives in a drawer now. Current wear watch (Aqua-Terra) is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever owned, IMO.

D79C6B12-B3DB-4E1E-B939-BB44DCCF067D.png

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For daily use I have a couple of £20 timex watches. I only wear one at a time. They feature large numerals and are luminous. I inherited a gold omega from my dad, but never wear it. The display isn’t that clear. I have a BMW Z3 watch, but you need a telescope to be able to see the dial well enough to make out what the time is. I have a crap watch with a picture of Bruce Springsteen on the dial. I wonder who he has a picture of on the dial of his watch? It’s unlikely to be me! Finally I have a not particularly special omega, that my parents must have bought for me about 50 years ago. I was recently quoted £240 to have it cleaned up, but I favour the distressed look. I was going to use it every day, instead of the crap timex watches, but discovered that after being in a cupboard for in excess of 30 years, it gains 10 minutes an hour. I am currently awaiting a quote to have it serviced. Can I justify the expenditure, though?

£600 + vat :eek:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Never really had a thing for watches until I went on holiday with my dad and he invested in a Breitling Chronomat Evolution.
Last year I got myself a Seamaster Diver 300m Chronograph, grey wavey dial, blue ceramic bezel and stainless steel bracelet. It's one of those watches that people rarely notice but love it when they do. Very understated.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Very nice. Wore a big seamaster chrono for a few years, but lives in a drawer now. Current wear watch (Aqua-Terra) is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever owned, IMO.

View attachment 129188

You are right it is a thing of beauty, a tribute to the watchmaker's art.

I don't understand people who don't "get" watches. How can you look at that and not love it? Let alone own and wear it every day??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here