Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'm sure I saw a bit of debris fly off at about 4 1/2 minutes

Yoda

English & European
:thumbsup:
Last Shuttle Launch.jpgLast Shuttle Launch 2.jpgLast Shuttle Launch 3.jpgLast Shuttle Launch 4.jpg

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Columbia Endeavor [for the] Discovery [of] Atlantis...

Interesting eh?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Missed it.
Have I missed something? Why is it the last one?

The shuttle programme was cancelled a few years back by 'Dubya' Bust, primarily on safety grounds - the shuttle programme started in 1981, so the design is a good 35 years old. At the same time, George W. Bush announced a new manned space programme that would succeed the Shuttles. This new programme went back to 'Apollo' style non-reusable spacecraft. This new programme was then cut by Obama, largely because it was so expensive. There were also question marks about the point in the new programme - it may have been that Bush only launched it so he was not remembered as the man that cut the space programme.

As it stands, I don't think America has any concrete plans to lauch manned space flights in future.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The shuttle programme was cancelled a few years back by 'Dubya' Bust, primarily on safety grounds - the shuttle programme started in 1981, so the design is a good 35 years old. At the same time, George W. Bush announced a new manned space programme that would succeed the Shuttles. This new programme went back to 'Apollo' style non-reusable spacecraft. This new programme was then cut by Obama, largely because it was so expensive. There were also question marks about the point in the new programme - it may have been that Bush only launched it so he was not remembered as the man that cut the space programme.

As it stands, I don't think America has any concrete plans to lauch manned space flights in future.

Many thanks.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Why did they stop at 31 secs, did one of the astros need a pee ?

The 'beanie cap'. The bit that comes off the top of the external tank and retracts from the shuttle was showing that it had not retracted the correct distance. Camera 062 was used to prove the computer had given a false alarm and the countdown was started from T-31 seconds. After T-31 seconds the onboard computers have full control, and only they can stop lift off. Human intervention cannot take place until launch as the human reaction time would be too slow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here