Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Wasps moving to Kent

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67193921

With some of the top rugby sides almost seem a franchise teams would one moving to Brighton be a good thing? Developing a new ground that can be used by the women's team and a first class rugby team must be a good thing.

el punal

I'm sure Brighton could accommodate a professional rugby team. We've got enough posh-o's around Sussex that would make the fortnightly trip into the big city to have a jolly.
WTF have ‘posh-o’s’ got to do with it, as you call them? I‘ve been to Twickers a few times and drunk like a fish, enjoyed the rugger, and then drunk some more. I’m nowhere near ‘posh’, nor is Jason Leonard or Joe Marler or Owen Farrell. If you want ‘posh’ you go for a chukka at the polo down Cowdray Park in Midhurst. What? :drink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'd have thought a lack of sports club in an area was a good indication there's little interest of said sport in that area. dont see you can manufacture interest just by being there, they'll just go bust again in a few years.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Having a pro rugby side in Brighton would be a reel sting(ray) in the tail for competing sports....see what I did there? :wink: Fine, whatever...it made me smile anyway

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went into the local bakers today and asked to buy two wasps.

The shop assistant replied “we don’t sell wasps”.

“ you have two in the window?”

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I went into the local bakers today and asked to buy two wasps.

The shop assistant replied “we don’t sell wasps”.

“ you have two in the window?”
In Germany surely not?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If a local rugby side rose to the top, not that that really happens in rugby, then it would be well supported. There are loads of rugby fans in the area.

Not a chance a franchise team from London or the Midlands would ever be followed though

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I would love a professional rugby team in Brighton and Hove. I’d go and watch them, but ‘support’ is maybe too strong a word, you can’t just manufacture allegiance like that.

Perhaps they could share the new stadium with the women’s team? 😉

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I would love a professional rugby team in Brighton and Hove. I’d go and watch them, but ‘support’ is maybe too strong a word, you can’t just manufacture allegiance like that.

Indeed that's my thought.

I've had friends who have played for top teams. I've gone to support them (Saracens and Quins) but I love rugby and would go to watch a local team. The mentality is somewhat different insomuch people go to watch rugby and enjoy the occasion.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I don't think it would do the women's team any favours to be playing on a pitch constantly churned up by the rugger bu88ers. Isn't rugby generally played on rather longer grass than football too?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It all started off really positively for Wasps in Coventry. Free transport to games from local pubs, players helping kids training at local rugby clubs, sell out crowds (albeit it transpired they gave a fair few away) and relative success on the pitch. COVID did for all that as well as a business model that probably didn't work in the first place.

If they couldn't make it work in a city which has a fair few rugby fans, I'm not sure how Kent works.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I don't think it would do the women's team any favours to be playing on a pitch constantly churned up by the rugger bu88ers. Isn't rugby generally played on rather longer grass than football too?
Reading, Watford, Coventry, Brentford, QPR, Bristol City play or have played or do play rugby and a higher standard than WSL

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Very Palace of them to leave huge unpaid debts in administration.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No great love for Gillingham or Crawley, but if Wasps come suggesting a groundshare, I'd hope they'd have a word with Coventry City FC before signing up.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
WTF have ‘posh-o’s’ got to do with it, as you call them? I‘ve been to Twickers a few times and drunk like a fish, enjoyed the rugger, and then drunk some more. I’m nowhere near ‘posh’, nor is Jason Leonard or Joe Marler or Owen Farrell. If you want ‘posh’ you go for a chukka at the polo down Cowdray Park in Midhurst. What? :drink:
Quite. I would hardly consider myself 'posh' yet I support the ultimate hooray Henry club, Harlequins.

Rugby doesn't have franchises, just clubs which struggle to keep their homes.

None of the current Premiership clubs would be regarded as franchise clubs.

Wasps were just a looney bin of a case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here