Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Was that our best ever League performance?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Have to accept Sances will always make me nervous but every player was near perfection

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes it was, and I think what makes it stand out is its part of a really sustained good run in the Premier league. Some of our best results since we got promoted have been surrounded by fairly disappointing results against dross teams, WBA, Southampton etc. Since the WC break we have been outstanding, even in our one defeat. I work with a gooner who is convinced if Mitoma's offside goal had been given we'd have got something out of that game.
That really hadn't registered with me, but since the WC we have been seriously impressive (y)

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
We totally dominated them. When they were passing it around for fun near the end I thought one of the Liverpool players would go in with a crunching tackle to try and stop it. Welbeck's finish was very good but Sollys 2nd was a tad better. This is now without doubt the most exciting I have seen us play

BatterSeagull

Aug 1, 2003
London
Sixty-six years for me. Up until today, it was Peterborough away with Gus, but this was another level and against such stellar opposition. Some of our intricate passing was insane.
Where the hell are we heading?????????

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Sixty-six years for me. Up until today, it was Peterborough away with Gus, but this was another level and against such stellar opposition. Some of our intricate passing was insane.
Where the hell are we heading?????????
We were fantastic in the Nightmare on London Road game, but this was leagues above that... and Liverpool managed to keep all their players on the pitch!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
A friend who’s been going for the last 67 years said it was the best performance he’s ever seen from the Albion. Best in my 25 years as well - found my self getting a bit wet-eyed towards the end, remarkable stuff.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Was that our best ever League performance? . . . yes l think it probably was.

I don't remember ever bossing another team like that at the Amex, and it wasn't just any other team, it was Liverpool!

Every single player wearing the stripes gave an absolute masterclass. Nigh on impossible for me to pick out a MoTM, given to Solly primarily for his two goals.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
it was pretty amazing, wasn't it? The speed and precision of the 1 touch passing, through Liverpool, was just eye-gasmic
Very much this.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Liverpool, Liverpool, resorted to trying (and often failing) to kick our players out of their stride. They didn't get a sniff. Most complete performance I can remember by the Albion.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
That’s the key here no one remembers playing well and not winning. Again today getting the ball forward quickly is the key to opening up defences. Potter sometimes dominated games although I wouldn’t say it was a hard game for the opponent as we could hardly score with the laboured build up play. Liverpool didn’t know what hit them we broke like a rocket they didn’t know where the ball was half the time.
I think the first season in the Premier League we were beaten 1-4 by Liverpool. I remember Muzza having a good effort saved at one end, and then just over 20 seconds later the ball was in the net at the other end. They’re so quick, said my brother.

yesterday the boot was completely and utterly on the other foot. We destroyed them. 0-0 at half-time was a travesty. Second half was magnificent. Yes, they had a lot of players missing, but Salah didn‘t get a look in, their midfield of stalwarts like Henderson was totally dominated and their two world class full-backs and other talented defenders were - well, we ran rings round them.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Yep. On balance the best league game I'v seen, given the quality of opponent. I kept waiting for Liverpool to go up a gear or two but it never happened - and mostly because we dominated them, with fluid, incisive football, at pace and with clinical finishing. Heady days.

We no longer fear any PL team - and more significantly - they now genuinely fear us...

Pound for pound, way better value than Liverpool. Especially pleasing to see Academy products looking comfortable at this level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here