Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was Leicester's 1st goal offside? VAR froze picture too early?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Most VAR talk is about the penalty that wasn't awarded.

However, am I alone in thinking that the picture was frozen a couple of frames too early for the opening Leicester goal?
I suspect it would have been offside if the picture was frozen when the ball was played.
I was watching it on a dodgy stream, so I might be talking rubbish.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Not seen any of it, but I hate goals getting chalked off for very narrow offsides which nobody has really noticed. That said they had one against us at the Amex

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Most VAR talk is about the penalty that wasn't awarded.

However, am I alone in thinking that the picture was frozen a couple of frames too early for the opening Leicester goal?
I suspect it would have been offside if the picture was frozen when the ball was played.
I was watching it on a dodgy stream, so I might be talking rubbish.
Vardy not interfering with play as per the Rashford decision in the Manc derby. Obviously, a very subjective decision given the decisions against Mac Ali and Mitoma in previous matches.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
This is the issue with VAR offsides. So often it's completely arbitary because it depends when the frame was frozen. At least in the World Cup when we had semi-automated offside it was accurate in terms of where the player was at the exact moment the ball was played. Hopefully they'll introduce it here for next season.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 17.48.30.png

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
He stood right infront of Sanchez when the ball went in.

He was offside but it was deemed that he wasn't interfering with play.

Because you don't notice a player 3 foot away from your face when you are a goalkeeper

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
No opinion on offside, other than it was very tight. Perhaps this has been discussed on match thread, but seemed to me that it might have been a penalty if Albrighton's shot hadn't gone in - looked like blatant handball from Joel?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No opinion on offside, other than it was very tight. Perhaps this has been discussed on match thread, but seemed to me that it might have been a penalty if Albrighton's shot hadn't gone in - looked like blatant handball from Joel?
Yes, it did rather look like that ..........................

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Can you imagine the fun Mason would have on VAR?
  1. Was the original pass offside - no, got to 2
  2. Was Vardy offside - yes, go to 3
  3. Was Vardy interfering with play - no, go to 4
  4. Did Dunk handle it, no - go to 5
  5. Did Veltman handle it, probably...
We'd still be here whilst they were deciding all of that!

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
This is the issue with VAR offsides. So often it's completely arbitary because it depends when the frame was frozen. At least in the World Cup when we had semi-automated offside it was accurate in terms of where the player was at the exact moment the ball was played. Hopefully they'll introduce it here for next season.
Yes, the people who say at least with offside is that you can be objective about it are wrong, as it starts with an old man pressing a button to "estimate" when the ball was kicked. Inevitably this means that if the play is stopped even a fraction of a second later, the decision whether someone is offside by a bootlace or not could be very different.
Therefore I think they need to make an allowance and stop chalking off the very tight goals. I am in favour of giving the benefit of the doubt to the attacking side. Therefore, I have no complaints about that aspect of the offside.

I suspect VAR would have definitely got round to awarding a penalty to them. It looked fairly obvious on the replay, although of course if had been in the second half it wouldn't have been seen, because by all accounts Lee Mason was having his afternoon nap, hence why he missed Welly's blatant penalty.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think Veltman may have been sent off if that had been given, so we were fortunate in a way.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Players running in opposite directions, let’s say one at 10km/hour the other at 20km/hour, so 30km/hour combined. That’s 30,000 metres per hour, which is 30,000 metres every 3,600 seconds. Live sport is broadcast at 30 frames a second. So we’re talking about combined speeds 30,000 metre every 108,000 frames. This works out at .2777 metres per frame! Let’s call that 25cm difference between one frame and the next of players are running in opposite directions. When you freeze the frame makes all the difference!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Players running in opposite directions, let’s say one at 10km/hour the other at 20km/hour, so 30km/hour combined. That’s 30,000 metres per hour, which is 30,000 metres every 3,600 seconds. Live sport is broadcast at 30 frames a second. So we’re talking about combined speeds 30,000 metre every 108,000 frames. This works out at .2777 metres per frame! Let’s call that 25cm difference between one frame and the next of players are running in opposite directions. When you freeze the frame makes all the difference!
Is the answer 42? :oops:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here