Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A red card all day

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Watched it in the concourse after and it didn’t look a red at all. In the highlights shown in the ground he’s on his feet, in control and competing for the ball. The follow through doesn’t look in any way intentional. It didn’t look to me like serious foul play (see law definition below).

On that tweet it’s a stonewall red. I voted yellow on the poll before I played the tweet video. I’m minded to upgrade. He does, I suppose, endanger the opponent, though not with malice or a lunge.

But there are a lot of angles where it’s yellow at most.

Consistency is once again the issue. Plenty of other refs don’t give a red for the same challenge. And Tarkowski should have had 2 yellows before that which would have changed the course of the game such that Gilmour’s challenge doesn’t happen.

View attachment 177228
As you say, your view depends upon the angle you look at it. That is exactly why consistency is not the issue. Clearly people (including referees) take different views on red cards (even on this thread) so there won’t be any consistency. It’s a waste of energy to expect it.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yes, that was the general opinion near us -ok, if you are going to give a red, but perhaps there should be grades of punishment., though I suppose that would bring a subjective element to the whole issue, and cause even more controversy!
There already is a level of subjectivity though.
Red cards are given for challenges that could endanger an opponent.

If no injury is caused, it's up to each ref to assess whether the tackle was dangerous.
In a contact sport, that is open to speculation.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I hope RDZ gives wee Billy another chance and doesn't give him the Dahoud treatment.
Not very likely as contributes way more and one suspects other issues with Dahoud. Having said that RDZ did have a face like thunder. "But hey boss how about not getting booked again for gobbing off" said Billy?

Last edited:

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
Yes a red but Tarkowski should also have had one. Ref very quick to book Albion players and manager, lenient with Everton. Scared of Dyche is my conclusion who behaved way worse than RDZ on the touchline.
I didn't think it was possible to detest Douche any more than I do, until I saw his interview on MOTD

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I didn't think it was possible to detest Douche any more than I do, until I saw his interview on MOTD
He gets away with it, “I don’t know where they got 9 mins from” I f***ing do, why dont interviewers pull him up on it, its basically gaslighting. I don’t know why there were only 2 mins in the first half? Our trainers must have been on for 3 minutes with Welbeck. The officials were a joke yesterday, Tarkoski could have had 3 yellows, getting used to it now.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
He gets away with it, “I don’t know where they got 9 mins from” I f***ing do, why dont interviewers pull him up on it, its basically gaslighting. I don’t know why there were only 2 mins in the first half? Our trainers must have been on for 3 minutes with Welbeck. The officials were a joke yesterday, Tarkoski could have had 3 yellows, getting used to it now.
More to the point I don’t know why he (and all the other managers who only see the game through their own lenses) bother. The Fulham and Man U managers probably the worst offenders. We can all see through their bullshit. It doesn’t change anything. A ref won’t blow up earlier for them the following week despite what similarly biased fans may claim. They just look like bellends.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It’s a good point re the first half and one I made to the chap next to me at the time ….re the time our goal was scored …it’s not as though it was the ninth minute of added time
I have some respect for old gravel voice…but like his footy he is a bit predictable in his moaning

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The problem is, I might be persuaded it is a red under the current guidelines, but if so then there are multiple others that are also red and are not given - comes back to ref consistency again and again
Perhaps the more important point is that nobody is trying to persuade you. As a fan you are there to watch and suport your team. The only person that needs to be persuaded is the referee.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Football is dangerous? Weird comment .
Disagree, it definitely can be dangerous, as fans we have all seen some very bad injuries in live games and on tv.
I would accept his opinion over any football fans, he played for long enough and would have seen more than any of us fans.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Disagree, it definitely can be dangerous, as fans we have all seen some very bad injuries in live games and on tv.
I would accept his opinion over any football fans, he played for long enough and would have seen more than any of us fans.
The vast majority of things can be dangerous, this doesn’t mean they intrinsically are dangerous

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Took a big swing at the ball. Followed through. A red these days (if you don’t play for a big enough club). Preferred football when it would have been a yellow.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
One of the those challenges where Wilder's comments about "10 years ago" blah blah blah, would have been appropriate.

This one was the very definition of an "Orange" card.
In reality anything over the limits of a yellow should be a red, but often aren't given.

If refs can standardise this metric, and we start seeing all players being sent off for these fouls, then we will be better off for it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This is one of those where the still makes it look worse. We should stop using those to generate outrage over a challenge.

He did exactly what Maguire did and Maguire got a yellow. In both instances, the player caught the opponent in the follow through, it wasn't especially high, not especially forceful, the ball was there to be won. Just a football incident. Yellow card

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just watched it on MOTD …pundits 2/1 for not being a red…i don’t believe there was any malicious intent and red mist …ball was there to be won…but you can see why it was given, against that if that was a red then so was Harry’s ..but hey thats football

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here